Motorcycle Navigation | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Navigation

if anyone is interested
this is the best deal I've seen in awhile

weatherproof motorcycle unit with mounting kit for < $400

• Winding & hill roads: find the most exciting winding roads and climbs to avoid the boring straights
  • Updates via Wi-Fi: get the latest maps, software and easily sync new routes for your TomTom rider via built-in Wi-Fi no computer needed
  • Compatible with Siri and Google Now: unlock the full use of your smartphone via voice for on-board music access, calling, messaging and more
  • Smartphone messages: have smartphone messages read aloud in your headset so you stay connected but focused on the road

pretty nice fusion of technologies and Winding Roads is wonderful. If you want a stand alone GPS ..that's pretty slick :coffee:

Reactions: J_F
If you have a stand alone GPS/SatNav… One way to waste time during the long winter is to plot routes and load them into your device for later...
I gave up on Garmin "Base Camp" as I was, and probably still am too stupid to figure out how to use it.
I stumbled upon Kurvger.de and so far have found it very easy to use... You simply plot your route and export the .gpx file to your computer/device.
I've also recently found out there are tools available to convert Google Maps into .gpx format... Again, plot your route(in Google Maps) and by pasting the route url from Google Maps into a dialog you can convert the map to .gpx and save/export it to your GPS device...
'Haven't played around much with these tools yet, but so far... 'Seems to work:)

if anyone is interested
this is the best deal I've seen in awhile

weatherproof motorcycle unit with mounting kit for < $400

I have no idea if the Tom Tom is any good, but given that Zumo is the defacto moto GPS standard by an incredibly large margin, I would probably hold out for that instead. Don't think I paid much more than that for my Zumo 595 a few years ago off ebay.

If you have a stand alone GPS/SatNav… One way to waste time during the long winter is to plot routes and load them into your device for later...
I gave up on Garmin "Base Camp" as I was, and probably still am too stupid to figure out how to use it.
I stumbled upon Kurvger.de and so far have found it very easy to use... You simply plot your route and export the .gpx file to your computer/device.
I've also recently found out there are tools available to convert Google Maps into .gpx format... Again, plot your route(in Google Maps) and by pasting the route url from Google Maps into a dialog you can convert the map to .gpx and save/export it to your GPS device...
'Haven't played around much with these tools yet, but so far... 'Seems to work:)

I've tried a ton of Basecamp alternatives over the years, and they work until they don't work. The last thing you want to experience on a long ride is the map that was perfect in google maps is now giving you screwy directions cause google maps and garmin maps have slightly different gps co-ordinates and the google maps pin is sitting on a side street and now your garmin gps is telling you go down the side street and make a u-turn to hit the pin before going back on your actual route. As much as Basecamp is an absolutely terrible piece of junk, I have thrown up the white flag and agreed to use it for creating the gps route, after plotting my route on google maps first of course.

I have that Rider 550 unit, very happy with it
I like their route planning tool as well
but I've never owned another brand so there is that

TomTom is much bigger in Europe than over here
a new Zumo 595 is $700 on amazon
used of course is less $$

I learned the hard way a used motorcycle GPS can end up costing you more

I have that Rider 550 unit, very happy with it
I like their route planning tool as well
but I've never owned another brand so there is that

TomTom is much bigger in Europe than over here
a new Zumo 595 is $700 on amazon
used of course is less $$

I learned the hard way a used motorcycle GPS can end up costing you more

Good to hear you like it. As I said, I don't really know anything about it, but I'm a sheep and follow the flock.

I bought my Zumo as a refurb off ebay about two years ago, came like new with everything packed up. Can't remember exactly, but I want to say it was about $500CAD altogether.

Reactions: J_F
I've tried a ton of Basecamp alternatives over the years, and they work until they don't work. The last thing you want to experience on a long ride is the map that was perfect in google maps is now giving you screwy directions cause google maps and garmin maps have slightly different gps co-ordinates and the google maps pin is sitting on a side street and now your garmin gps is telling you go down the side street and make a u-turn to hit the pin before going back on your actual route. As much as Basecamp is an absolutely terrible piece of junk, I have thrown up the white flag and agreed to use it for creating the gps route, after plotting my route on google maps first of course.

Truth.

You have to make sure that whatever mapset you are using to plot out your route is the same mapset you are using to navigate. Doesn't matter if it's a standalone GPS or phone GPS, if your waypoints don't match exactly, the auto-routing on your nav is going to fork you up.

As for mapping SW, I keep an old copy of MapSource, which still works with current Garmin GPSes. Although it's old, it's still waaaay better than Basecamp.

Yes... I've noticed a slight difference between the results created in Google maps and those of the Kurvger.de tool, but nothing so far off that it changes the actual route I want to take. I suspect this may change if a route is more complex...
It's been more like when searching an address the Kurvger result isn't "exactly" in the same spot as in GM. My guess is that it's because Kurvger doesnt use or piggy back on GoogleMaps, but rather uses something called OpenStreetMap...
In any case... Once exported into my Zumo, I can preview the "map" to see if or how far off my pre-plotted route/track is... So far things look good enough for me.
Of course, I'm coming at it from the perspective of a guy who has only a basic grasp on how all this voodoo magic works...
The only "code" I understand are the old radio "ten codes" and even those are obsolete...:(

Last edited:
Yes... I've noticed a slight difference between the results created in Google maps and those of the Kurvger.de tool, but nothing so far off that it changes the actual route I want to take. I suspect this may change if a route is more complex...
It's been more like when searching an address the Kurvger result isn't "exactly" in the same spot as in GM. My guess is that it's because Kurvger doesnt use or piggy back on GoogleMaps, but rather uses something called OpenStreetMap...
In any case... Once exported into my Zumo, I can preview the "map" to see if or how far off my pre-plotted route/track is... So far things look good enough for me.
Of course, I'm coming at it from the perspective of a guy who has only a basic grasp on how all this voodoo magic works...
The only "code" I understand are the old radio "ten codes" and even those are obsolete...:(

The problems aren't the actual route, though I've had issues there as well if you try to plot a long enough route and there are too many points for Garmin to import. The main issue comes where you have a route in a congested area where the GPS will take you on a random road away from the main road that you should actually be on.

Basecamp sucks, but it is semi usable, and using it avoids the above problems completely.

Are any of the alternative maps more up to date then the one supplied by Garmin? I've gotten into areas were it says the roads are gravel and found they are not. Not sure how accurate a thing like can be.

I finally got MaPsMe which also uses OSM for Chile. Google not good here even with a network connection. ? :coffee:

the sun thing works on short trips I guess
wouldn't be much use on a long day trying avoid highways

heading south I usually start to plot a route starting in upstate NY
and make down into VA - first day run
81 all the way is of course a piece of cake

trying to get across 4 states on secondary roads using sun navigation
signs and maps is not going to have very good results
and you prolly end up having a low mile day when you run out of gas
because you have no idea where the eff you are
Actually that's pretty much how I do it. Paper maps, road signs and the sun. Do we sometimes get lost? Yes. Does it sometimes lead to cool sights and awesome new roads? Yes. Have we ever not made it home? No.
I say nothing is more liberating than the ability to get lost and the time to enjoy it.

Actually that's pretty much how I do it. Paper maps, road signs and the sun. Do we sometimes get lost? Yes. Does it sometimes lead to cool sights and awesome new roads? Yes. Have we ever not made it home? No.
I say nothing is more liberating than the ability to get lost and the time to enjoy it.
Yup, this guy gets it!

From Scenic
Yet another way to get a great route... Scenic can generate a round trip for you in a given direction with a given distance. Or a curvy route to a destination of your choosing.

TomTom Winding Roads similar - we've had lovely surprises letting the GPS app plot an interesting route and then hit the button for fastest for a quick blast home or to destination. Don't like the look of what's suggested - move on to the next turn.
In West Virginia I had an interesting situation of letting Tom Tom find the twists and then chatting with local riders realized it picked all the good ones up and a few really nice short sections.

There are always a few "maybe not" surprises...after watching a logging truck go through up to top of his wheels turned the CBF1000 around .. but still was fun.
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at Apr, 4    2020    1.54.22 PM.jpg

Paper maps are okay for overviews but you still need to know where you are and if you are off the main routes knowing where fuel is makes for a low stress adventure. I love to wander without any specific route in mind ..I prefer that kind of riding. I also like all the other things a smartphone can do to make that wandering pleasurable. :coffee:

Will try Scenic ...tried Sygic in Chile and not impressed.

Pretty impressive reviews ‎Scenic Motorcycle Navigation

I tried Scenic today.

First, it's far more complicated (obtuse, actually) to select the "Windy roads" option. There's the usual Fastest/Quickest/Shortest option, but the "windy roads" (which would seem to be a core feature of any motorcycle app people would be looking for) is a tiny text link in the top corner of one window, and even then if you don't do things in just the right sequence it doesn't work.

Second, it bugged out somehow and when I wanted to try the voice guidance option (which costs you points, of which they give you only 30 to trial things out) it ended up hoovering up 10 credits because the dialogue window froze and apparently every time I pressed the button (trying to continue) it was consuming a credit. Had to kill and reset app to get that fixed. The Ontario map download cost 8 more credits out of the gate. Then just before leaving I had to exit momentarily to send a text...and when I came back I had to pay ANOTHER credit to reactive the voice feature AGAIN since the app didn't gracefully continue where I'd left off.

So used basically 75% of my "sample" credits and hadn't even left the driveway yet.

The navigation seemed OK but the voice guidance never did work despite blowing 11 of 30 sample credits trying to activate it.

Not impressed...

I tried Scenic today.

Second, it bugged out somehow and when I wanted to try the voice guidance option (which costs you points, of which they give you only 30 to trial things out) it ended up hoovering up 10 credits because the dialogue window froze and apparently every time I pressed the button (trying to continue) it was consuming a credit. Had to kill and reset app to get that fixed. The Ontario map download cost 8 more credits out of the gate. Then just before leaving I had to exit momentarily to send a text...and when I came back I had to pay ANOTHER credit to reactive the voice feature AGAIN since the app didn't gracefully continue where I'd left off.

So used basically 75% of my "sample" credits and hadn't even left the driveway yet.

The navigation seemed OK but the voice guidance never did work despite blowing 11 of 30 sample credits trying to activate it.

Not impressed...

I tried Scenic for 2 summers. Tried to convince myself that my phone and this app would be just as good a dedicated motorcycle GPS. Then I bought a Zumo. Done.

I'll just keep using Google Maps.

Honestly, I like using Google maps for manual route planning - it's dead easy. The only thing I HATE about it is that when a waypoint is reached you have to touch a button on the screen to have it continue the route....I wish they would just program in a timer so that it did that automatically after x number of seconds.

Back
Top Bottom