Motorcycle hitch carrier | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle hitch carrier

Bags

Hey folks,

Looking for a motorcycle carrier that plugs into a 2 inch receiver. Must be durable! Plan on travelling with at least my dirt bike across the country and state side. Does anyone have any first hand experience with carriers? Which ones are better, and which ones to stay away from? Any and all help much appreciated! Thanks!

I carry my 145lb Beta on a PA carrier. It works fine. But i would much rather have a pick up again. I wouldn't put anything over 250lb back there.

Ya, I would rather something more durable than the Princess Auto version. I am planning on putting it on the back of a Ford Transit 250. It’s a new one, 2022 and AWD. Just had it converted to a camper van. And plan on taking the dirt bike with me when I travel. Again, plan on travelling from here in Ontario to all across Canada and the US, I would rather pay a few more dollars but be confident in my bike staying on the carrier, and the carrier staying attached to the van! Haha! I have seen a few online, but was hoping for some more first hand experience.

Thanks @Wingboy for your input.

Ya, I would rather something more durable than the Princess Auto version. I am planning on putting it on the back of a Ford Transit 250. It’s a new one, 2022 and AWD. Just had it converted to a camper van. And plan on taking the dirt bike with me when I travel. Again, plan on travelling from here in Ontario to all across Canada and the US, I would rather pay a few more dollars but be confident in my bike staying on the carrier, and the carrier staying attached to the van! Haha! I have seen a few online, but was hoping for some more first hand experience.

Thanks @Wingboy for your input.
Sry don't want to hijack, but have you got any pics of the van build?

I put my Daytona 675 on a PA carrier once when the rectifier died on me 70kms from home. I think the carrier is rated for 600lbs, which in all honesty seems excessive. My rear tire did not fit in the rails though, just sat on top. Made the trip home without a problem. It was normally used for my son's dirtbike which was a TTR125. I would have absolutely no problem putting any dirtbike on the carrier and going cross country.

Thanks @Renboy that a couple comments on the PA version. I might have to have a look at them again. I just wonder about the quality. The tools there are ok if you use then only occasionally, but for regular use, I would want something a little more robust? I think? Maybe? Ya know what I mean?

Thanks for everyone’s input so far.

@Bags I can't comment on the carrier as we have a cargo trailer however I am interested in this van conversion you are getting done...I'm not on Instagram though so could you pm me some information and pictures please and thank you...

I've been using my PA carrier for about three years now. I have a pickup, but F that. So much easier to roll it onto the hitch carrier, and use the truck bed for canopy, gear, stand, etc. I probably use it 10-15 times a year.

I did my research before I bought my hitch carrier. The PA bends and flexes, and bounces around when driving and most people have a difficult time unloading and loading their bike. I see lots of them in the parking lots and most people will swear it's the absolute best there is. The PA units are cheap and you may be able to find a used one for under $100. I wanted a hitch carrier that was solid, did not bounce around and was easy to load and unload the bike. I use a Mototote. (www.mototote.com) I can load the bike and drive away in under 2 minutes. It's rock solid and does not bounce and bend. They have several models to choose from depending on the weight of your bike. I ride every weekend I wanted a carrier that I can attach to the hitch and load the bike without much fuss.

I did my research before I bought my hitch carrier. The PA bends and flexes, and bounces around when driving and most people have a difficult time unloading and loading their bike. I see lots of them in the parking lots and most people will swear it's the absolute best there is. The PA units are cheap and you may be able to find a used one for under $100. I wanted a hitch carrier that was solid, did not bounce around and was easy to load and unload the bike. I use a Mototote. (www.mototote.com) I can load the bike and drive away in under 2 minutes. It's rock solid and does not bounce and bend. They have several models to choose from depending on the weight of your bike. I ride every weekend I wanted a carrier that I can attach to the hitch and load the bike without much fuss.

Seems like the key piece that makes the Mototote stable is the "Zero Wobble" hitch pin that keeps the ball mount from moving around in the receiver tube. I've been looking at some similar solutions to quiet my regular hitch, but this seems to be the simplest and looks like they sell it separately for $19 USD.

If I didn't have trailers and needed to haul a bike with a wide rear tire around often, then I would get this carrier over the PA one for sure. I like that it has the front wheel choke built in. But for a dirt bike that's under 200lbs and has narrow rear tires, this one is about 8x the price of the PA unit and the benefits don't justify the costs.

Hey @Trackday thanks! I have seen those units online as well. It’s always good to hear from someone who has actual first hand experience with what they’re talking about instead of “I heard”. I’ve also seen the Black Widow model and a few more. Amazon sells quite a few. I would rather support a local shop if at all possible. But I’m planning on getting one here in the next month or two. Thanks again for all the help, and if anyone else has some input I’d be down to hear more about it!

As far as the van goes, glad you like it. It’s coming along nicely. Quick run down on it, fully winterized with 3M insulation and a furnace, heated floor, shower, composting toilet, swivel front seats, lots of storage and a garage for my bicycles. I would love to have a small enclosed trailer one day. For now I’ll probably just carry bicycles and my dirt bike, but I have a VStrom 650 that I would like to take on some trips as well. Use the van as base camp and load up the bike and go even further out, we’ll as far as my VStrom can take me! Haha! Also have loads of solar and batteries, 36 gallon fresh water tank, so hoping to be able to stay off grid for as long as our food and water supply lasts.

As far as the van goes, glad you like it. It’s coming along nicely. Quick run down on it, fully winterized with 3M insulation and a furnace, heated floor, shower, composting toilet, swivel front seats, lots of storage and a garage for my bicycles.

Furnace and heated floor? Tell us more!

I used to have one from Canadian Tire called
MaxxHaul its almost like PA but aluminum and came with a hitch stabiliser clamp.Used for KTM 300 no problem and no struggling with all that weight PA has.There is one left in Peterborough CT on their website,I also see some new tilting one made of steel on their site.

Just happen to look at PA site and they also sell aluminum one 450lbs for $199

Seems like the key piece that makes the Mototote stable is the "Zero Wobble" hitch pin that keeps the ball mount from moving around in the receiver tube. I've been looking at some similar solutions to quiet my regular hitch, but this seems to be the simplest and looks like they sell it separately for $19 USD.

These are very effective. https://www.amazon.ca/StowAway-Cargo-Carriers-20-6-Tightener/dp/B0001CMUV4
41OP4yxOZdL._AC_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom