Motorcycle Dolly | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Dolly

Looks simple enough…

Although I’d prefer it to lean onto the kick stand. Something about only leaving the wheel in the chock sits wrong with me.
Seems like a lot of dicking about for a bike as light as a killer. I back the bike in and just slide/push one end at a time to "tuck" it in.

Keep in mind any time you put something under the Cstand it makes it harder to get the bike up. It doesn't take much.

True, but you can easily offset this by running the rear wheel onto a small piece of 2" x 4". Once you done that putting the bike on the centerstand is easy.

I still think that purchasing the stand from PA for $200 is the best way to go, or the the stand in post #13 for $125. You can make a stand for little $$ if you have all the parts already kicking around, but if you're buying lumber, casters, etc.... once you add up the parts you might as well buy one.

I'd be looking for one of these............

Have two of these. Works great.
A buddy has a centre stand in the our storage, hate it. Unless I don't know how to use it moving it around the bike rocks front to back depending on which way you push it.

Have two of these. Works great.
A buddy has a centre stand in the our storage, hate it. Unless I don't know how to use it moving it around the bike rocks front to back depending on which way you push it.
Yeah I was also wondering how you are supposed to avoid that on those centre stand dollies

Yeah I was also wondering how you are supposed to avoid that on those centre stand dollies

Here is a YT video of a dolly being used. Interesting design as it has a tail that the rear tire sits on to hold the dolly in position while you putting the center stand down and to also offset the increase in dolly height, making it easier to lift the bike onto the stand.

The bike is supposed to pivot on the front wheel as in the video. IMO, a pretty good way of moving a bike around a garage or tucking it in close to an end wall.

Here is a YT video of a dolly being used. Interesting design as it has a tail that the rear tire sits on to hold the dolly in position while you putting the center stand down and to also offset the increase in dolly height, making it easier to lift the bike onto the stand.

The bike is supposed to pivot on the front wheel as in the video. IMO, a pretty good way of moving a bike around a garage or tucking it in close to an end wall.

This one actually has locks on the casters which makes sense. My buddy's does not. Further the rubber has come apart from the dolly.

I have one of the cheapo generic red ones from Princess AUto or Harbor Freight or itdoesntmatteritsthesamethingfromchina. I think I bought it on kijiji for like $75 10 years ago. Still works fine enough....

BUT

I got a freebie all aluminum one with large casters to review from Discount Ramps. It's not cheap at all, BUT the big rubber casters, instead of small metal wheels, really make moving larger bikes around so much easier.

Was the aluminum worth it over steel? Meh... My steel one is still fine 10 years later.

But the big ass wheels vs the little guys? That makes all the difference if you're going to be moving the bike around a lot.

Food for thought.

Cringy old video I did on the aluminum one years ago:

There's also the two in one dolly + jack system from Let's Roll, but... it's not a perfect jack or a perfect dolly, so you're making sacrifices that unless you want the two-for-one deal (and even then you can put it together separately from other sources), I'm not sure is your best deal:

I kept the cheapo red dolly, kept the aluminum dolly, sold the Let's Roll.

I have a pair of cabinet corner dollies I bought from Princess Auto probably 15 years ago. I searched their site and it appears they don't carry them anymore. The ones I found online at other retailers are over $100 for a pair and I'm positive I didn't pay that much.

Anyway, what I do is put the bike on the centre stand and tip it towards me in order to roll one dolly under the foot of the lifted stand. I block the wheels of the first dolly and then tip the bike up so I can roll the second dolly under the other foot of the stand. This works well and allows me to roll the bike sideways, or backwards into a tight spot in the garage.
Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 8.12.55 AM.png

I have a pair of cabinet corner dollies I bought from Princess Auto probably 15 years ago. I searched their site and it appears they don't carry them anymore. The ones I found online at other retailers are over $100 for a pair and I'm positive I didn't pay that much.

Anyway, what I do is put the bike on the centre stand and tip it towards me in order to roll one dolly under the foot of the lifted stand. I block the wheels of the first dolly and then tip the bike up so I can roll the second dolly under the other foot of the stand. This works well and allows me to roll the bike sideways, or backwards into a tight spot in the garage.
View attachment 65025

Could you just drill a 2x6 between the two pieces and put the center stand up on the 2x6? Different unconnected pieces would give me anxiety lol

Could you just drill a 2x6 between the two pieces and put the center stand up on the 2x6? Different unconnected pieces would give me anxiety lol
A 2x6 would be too thick to allow me to get the centre stand up onto it. My bike weighs 297 kg dry, so I'm not lifting that beast too high. It's all I can do to just tip the thing over far enough to roll the dolly under the centre stand.

I tip it towards me first because the part of the stand that I push with my foot when putting it up onto the centre stand extends out and keeps the bike from falling over once I have the first dolly under it. Then when I tip it up away from me to get the other dolly under, I'm bringing the bike up to level, so no concern that it will fall away from me. Once the bike is on the dollies, they function as if they are attached because the stand is solid and the weight of the bike doesn't allow the dollies to move independently. It's worked well every time I've needed to use them.

Back
Top Bottom