Keep or Return

• Keep

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Return

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Jampy00

Site Supporter
Recently talking with someone and they told me a interesting story.

This person made an online purchase from a very large online retailer for a single item (worth about 80 dollars)
What they received was a case of ten of that item (worth about 800 dollars)
The item is useful to them.

Would you keep the extra 9 pcs or contact the online retailer to return them?

I know what they did, I know what I would do, but I thought it would be interesting to gauge responses.

Very much depends. If I was able to engage a rational human being on the other end who fully understands what the problem is, then they can have their stuff back. If your automated customer abuse system doesn't accommodate this scenario, and the only alternative is to spend 40 minutes calling a number I had to spend 20 minutes just to find... maybe I throw it in a corner for a couple weeks to see if you come knocking

This person made an online purchase from a very large online retailer for a single item (worth about 80 dollars)

I know what they did, I know what I would do, but I thought it would be interesting to gauge responses.
I'm with WB. I contact the supplier and let them decide. I bought foam backer rod before and paid for 8'. They shipped me 800'. I let them know and they sent a courier to pick it up. Bought toner cartridges and they shipped me two sets. They wanted me to pay for the extra set. F that. They made me repackage and deliver to a drop off location. Boo for best buy for business. Buying patio furniture from CT and the kid drags four boxes of six chair to the back door. Ummm. No kid. I just need part of one box to get the four chairs I paid for. I know some suppliers will tell you to keep it as it was their mistake.

IIRC Sonos had a big mistake in the US and shipped a crapton of stuff (One guy ordered 5 things and got hundreds). They tried strong-arming customers to get them to return the items and putting through pre-authorizations for many thousands on credit cards. Unfortunately for Sonos, US law is clear. Sonos made the mistake, they aren't allowed to request the items back nor charge for them. AG started investigating and Sonos quickly changed their tune. Windfall for those that received them.

I was looking for a propane hose for my Big Buddy heater, and was about to pull the trigger on one that was about twice as expensive as I thought it should be, but it was the only listing at the time. Then I noticed the quantity said 20 (yes, twenty)! If I could have used 20, I would have bought them and stuck to my guns, but instead decided to wait for the price to come down on a single.

I would sit on it for a few months to see if they reached out or tried to bill me then keep. I assume that the very large online retailer is amazon but I would likely even do this to a local business. I'm just greedy.

Was the item a high capacity micro SD card…was the retailer Amazon? If so that actually happened to me. I contacted the chat centre to tell them what happened, they put me on hold while they went to chat to a manager, returned and told me it was a “promotion” and to keep them. I repeated that I have a case of 10, I ordered only a single item and are they sure? Also…it was $1000 dollars worth of micro SD cards. I now have ridiculous memory capacity on every conceivable device I own that takes micro SD cards.

Edit: Being the suspicious type I also went online to check if the cards were authentic, they were!

I voted 'Keep' because I had something similar happen to me.

Ordered an item from Amazon, and 5 of them came in.

Call Amazon, told them the issue, and they said to 'keep it' because it's more expensive for them to ship them back to their warehouse than it was to just let me keep it.

If the supplier said 'return it via XYZ' I would...unless it involved driving a ridiculous amount, to a specific time (1hr window) and then some. Then they can come pick it up themselves.

I’d email them and let them know.
That said, I ordered about $300 in snowmobile carbides from Royal online and they charged me $25 shipping when the items stayed it qualifies for free shipping (ordered after hours). It also said it’ll ship out within 2 days. Called them after 3 days of no product or tracking email and asked first about shipping and they said they’d refund shipping. Called again after 8days still no item/email and they said carbides don’t get free shipping even though it says they do and also told me it states it’ll ship in 2 days but they’re a averaging 7-10 days timeline now.
I got the item a few days after and noticed they had taken shipping price off twice. I’m honest but I also don’t like being misled twice about shipping times and cost.

Morale: Woohoo!
Moral: Return them.

Under the law, the vendor would be the one responsible for the mistake, and also responsible for bearing the cost. It's probably of no consequence to the vendor -- his cost on 9 extra units would probably be $450-500 - returning them might not be worth it if the vendor pays freight then reinspects and handles all the paperwork to return in one shot. You are not obliged to return them.

I'd call the vendor, explain the situation and offer them the opportunity to arrange for the goods to be picked up at your home/shop. If they don't come within a week, I'd consider them disposed of.

Interesting replies so far.
This is more of a conversation as the situation has been rectified. But still, very interesting.

Return. Karma is a *****.

Actually, just had a very similar situation - son's team participated in the tournament in November, they never cashed the cheque I've sent. Literally just called them before reading this thread to ask if they ever received it.

Last edited:
I ordered two hwk jackets one x-large and one xx-large. Tried four times to send the x-large back.

The company Amazon has to pick up returns failed to pick up,

Called Amazon each time and they said to just keep it. They still reimbursed my card

If anyone is looking for a new hck x-large jacket cheap let me know

Edit… jacket is an HWK not HCK

Last edited:
^^^ this.

Except I wouldn't give a first, let alone second thought to anything owned by a Walton, Marcus, or Bezos. F them.

Give the extra away without profiting from it and your conscience will be clear.

It's not yours. There's no real choice in the matter.

Back
Top Bottom