Mississauga to Calabogie Loop - Sunrise to Sunset | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mississauga to Calabogie Loop - Sunrise to Sunset

or

I want to check out the roads towards Ottawa from Mississauga this summer. This will be a one day trip - a very long one day trip.
Any suggestion will be welcomed and greatly appreciated. Also need a place to grab lunch
Avoid Sharbot Lake. A week or two ago, they were the nearest place to Ottawa with covid vaccine in their drug store.
Trying to think if the 41 to the 506 and the other end of the 509 is more fun than the 7 to the 509. I can't remember off hand.

You're right Baggsy. Take 41 to Griffith. The original route misses the best part of the ride to Calabogie . Then you've got a place for stopping at the end near Calabogie.. The OP should check out Shane Kingsley's map here on this site, it's the best and it's always helped my ride planning. I think it's still called the Big Map

Based on the map this is a 900+ km 10.5 hour trip that with stops will end up being 13 - 14 hours. I know you said this is planned to be a day trip but just getting there and back means more that half of your time will be spending on the 401, the 115, 7 and other boring roads with minimal time to explore back roads in the area.

When we go to Calabogie area we stay in the Days Inn in Renfrew for a couple of days as a base. Decent ride there, no highways and then either 1 or 2 full days riding back roads and then the trip home, no highways. At a minimum make it an overnight trip, 2 nights preferably.

I do this ride several times each year, usually do something like this:

ride up to orillia, from there take monck rd (hwy 45) to hwy 503, 503 to 28, 28 thru bancroft to hwy 41, 41 to buckshot lake rd, buckshot lake to hwy 509, 509 to hwy 7. From there you can just take the 7 home if it's getting late, but if you still have lots of time take 7 east for about 1 km then take hwy 38 south to wagarville rd and take that west. Wagarville will turn into Mountain Rd and then bring you to Tamworth. From there you can go south till the 401 or hwy 2 and take that home or you can stay on the back roads but they're all mostly straight and boring from there on. There are other good roads that I missed like Ardoch rd, Matawatchan rd, hwy 71, 65, 511, but I don't think you can fit them all into one day.

Thank you guys for your valued suggestions. The loop is a combination of Baggsy's contribution I dug up from 2013 and ShaneKingsley's thread in cruising and touring. Plus the map I requested from Ride The Highlands (ridethehighlands.ca)

Yup, it's more enjoyable and safer to stay overnight.
Sunrise to Sunset and then go back home!

I can't recall what bike you ride, but I think it's easily doable in one day especially if you're doing a sunrise to sunset ride. Last year a group of us did a Summer Solstice ride which went out to Calabogie as well and these long days make it very easy to do. Bring a hydration knapsack if you can, don't eats any big meals and it will help with staying focused for the later parts of the day.

I made some changes to your route if you want to consider any of them.
I removed the 507 and replaced it with doing Lower Faraday, the 504 from Coe Hill and Northey's Bay Rd.
Also added in Flinton Rd and over through Myers Cave, so this way you minimize time on Hwy 7. You are also now taking the 511 and Centennial Lake Rd, both of which are highlights of the Calabogie area.

Be careful on South Lavant Rd, it might be in really poor condition heading towards the 511.
If you think you can handle adding more roads in, then take the 514 up to Old Barry's Bay Road, then come down Siberia Rd - something like: Queen St S to Streetsville

Some of us will be going out that way for another Summer Solstice ride this year, so post up how the road conditions are!
Safe ride!

We always stay in Perth. The town really accommodates motorcycles. Then we zig-zag back to Cobourg through the top end of Kingston/ Napanee.

Great chip wagon in Tweed if you care :)

Back
Top Bottom