Mission RS: Electric Superbike of the future | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mission RS: Electric Superbike of the future

120 miles, about the same range as a Twin Superbike. difference is it takes an hr to recharge....

get that charging time down into under 10 mins, and I'll take one tomorrow.

The charging time is why the real world highway range needs to be higher, before I would buy an electric.

If they can make the battery easily removable, and a small portable charger. I would see absolutely zero issue with taking out the battery and charging it while at the office, school, wherever. Sure if you go to a bar they may not let you plug it in, but that's probably a rare occurrence.

Plus if the range to/from work is short (for me it's 13km total) then you don't need to recharge it during the day at all. And of course you can always just put in a second battery and always have a spare with you.

If they can make the battery easily removable, and a small portable charger. I would see absolutely zero issue with taking out the battery and charging it while at the office, school, wherever. Sure if you go to a bar they may not let you plug it in, but that's probably a rare occurrence.

Plus if the range to/from work is short (for me it's 13km total) then you don't need to recharge it during the day at all. And of course you can always just put in a second battery and always have a spare with you.

If you watch the Leno video, the rep shows that the battery is about a foot tall... not to convenient to carry a spare.

Ah ok didn't watch it...well then hopefully in time they will come up with a smaller one that is more suitable for carrying spares. Or extend the range. Or quicken up the charge time.

That's the great thing about innovation, it'll make these bikes better / faster / let em go further and of course more affordable with time and acceptance.

Ah ok didn't watch it...well then hopefully in time they will come up with a smaller one that is more suitable for carrying spares. Or extend the range. Or quicken up the charge time.

That's the great thing about innovation, it'll make these bikes better / faster / let em go further and of course more affordable with time and acceptance.

Quick charge times require a special charger unit. It's not something that you could easily carry with you.

On the bright side though:

http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/20-electr...g-installed-on-highway-401-corridor-1.1491834

Quick charge times require a special charger unit. It's not something that you could easily carry with you.

On the bright side though:

http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/20-electr...g-installed-on-highway-401-corridor-1.1491834

The problem already is the lack of standardization, the Tesla Supercharge stations won't work on other batteries. The government needs to get in front of this like with cars- we don't have 2-3 different sizes of gas nozzles.

I don't see the range issue with EVs. 99% of the time, we all do short trips, for the 1% for long trips, rent a gas vehicle. If bike touring is your thing, EVs are not applicable.

You wouldn't buy a dirt bike to run across country, you won't buy an EV for this either.

we don't have 2-3 different sizes of gas nozzles.

Please CafeRay, for the love of God please stop posting before engaging brain.
(1) Small nozzle for Unleaded gasoline (13/16" IIRC)
(2) Medium nozzle for Diesel fuel (15/16" IIRC)
(3) Large nozzle for high-speed filling of large diesel tanks, e.g., Semis (1 1/4" IIRC)

at that price i rather burn gas.

r-buy-bike-76c5f2c81d9efaf044c84634c40a5dff.png
Mission R
12 kWh Battery Pack

[h=6]TECH PACKAGE[/h][h=5]Add $2,750[/h]
  • Integrated Image-Stabilized HD Camera with Telemetry Overlay
  • Removable Video Storage
  • GPS Turn-By-Turn Navigation, with live data feeds
  • Wireless Helmet HUD support (Telemetry & Navigation)
  • Ultra-fast charging

[h=6]TWIN CHARGER[/h][h=5]Add $1,200[/h]

[h=5]REAL WORLD RANGE:[/h]105 miles
[h=5]CITY RANGE: 170 MILES[/h][h=5]ZERO - 60:[/h]3 seconds

[h=5]TOP SPEED:[/h]140 mph

$32,499
- $2,500 federal tax credit
$29,999
RESERVEBegin your order with a
$1,000 USD fully refundable
reservation deposit

Available internationally

Mission R
15 kWh Battery Pack

• Ultra-fast charging

[h=5]REAL WORLD RANGE:[/h]120 miles
[h=5]CITY RANGE: 200 MILES[/h][h=5]ZERO - 60:[/h]3 seconds

[h=5]TOP SPEED:[/h]150 mph

$36,499
$33,999
reservation deposit

Mission R
17 kWh UltraPack™

• Ultra-fast charging

[h=5]REAL WORLD RANGE:[/h]140 miles
[h=5]CITY RANGE: 230 MILES[/h][h=5]ZERO - 60:[/h]3 seconds

[h=5]TOP SPEED:[/h]150 mph

$42,499
$39,999
reservation deposit

The problem already is the lack of standardization, the Tesla Supercharge stations won't work on other batteries. The government needs to get in front of this like with cars- we don't have 2-3 different sizes of gas nozzles.

I don't see the range issue with EVs. 99% of the time, we all do short trips, for the 1% for long trips, rent a gas vehicle. If bike touring is your thing, EVs are not applicable.

You wouldn't buy a dirt bike to run across country, you won't buy an EV for this either.

You don't see an issue. I do. Our needs differ.

Charging is not an issue if they build enough of those

It is not impossible. keep in mind american manufacturer was pushing E85 sometimes ago and you can see E85 stations available commercially.

As for big three, GM has spark, Ford will have Focus Electric which is a pure EV in 2014, Chrysler has 200C and Fiat 500e on the radar. The changing station concept might be possible.

Charging is not an issue if they build enough of those

It is not impossible. keep in mind american manufacturer was pushing E85 sometimes ago and you can see E85 stations available commercially.

As for big three, GM has spark, Ford will have Focus Electric which is a pure EV in 2014, Chrysler has 200C and Fiat 500e on the radar. The changing station concept might be possible.

that was a very cool video.

Please CafeRay, for the love of God please stop posting before engaging brain.
(1) Small nozzle for Unleaded gasoline (13/16" IIRC)
(2) Medium nozzle for Diesel fuel (15/16" IIRC)
(3) Large nozzle for high-speed filling of large diesel tanks, e.g., Semis (1 1/4" IIRC)

You know exactly what I meant. And by the way, gasoline is not Diesel, so you may want to take your own advice.

that was a very cool video.

By very careful of Tesla marketing.

Even if the superchargers work as promised, they will only work on Tesla batteries. The charge stations on the 400s will be just 220V sources.

The true solution to EV was developed by Better Place. They designed a system of hot-swappable batteries in depots. A car is bought without the battery (cheap), the batteries are rented and swapped in 30 seconds instead of charging. The batteries are charged on off-peak, even near power stations or in the desert by solar arrays. the system could be used to store massive amounts of energy that is otherwise discarded from the grid. They started some taxi companies based on this in a few cities. They went broke last year.

They had a plan to make EVs for $7000 and a battery rental was $12. This proves society doesn't want a real solution.

By very careful of Tesla marketing.

Even if the superchargers work as promised, they will only work on Tesla batteries. The charge stations on the 400s will be just 220V sources.

The true solution to EV was developed by Better Place. They designed a system of hot-swappable batteries in depots. A car is bought without the battery (cheap), the batteries are rented and swapped in 30 seconds instead of charging. The batteries are charged on off-peak, even near power stations or in the desert by solar arrays. the system could be used to store massive amounts of energy that is otherwise discarded from the grid. They started some taxi companies based on this in a few cities. They went broke last year.

They had a plan to make EVs for $7000 and a battery rental was $12. This proves society doesn't want a real solution.

Yeah, I was more a fan of the concept of the 'hands off battery swap in minutes'. Although I do like what Tesla has been doing.

I don't think it's society so much as what marketers tell society and how the auto/oil industry still run the show. It will take DECADES before there's a dent in the combustible engine as main mode of transport.

Yeah, I was more a fan of the concept of the 'hands off battery swap in minutes'. Although I do like what Tesla has been doing.

I don't think it's society so much as what marketers tell society and how the auto/oil industry still run the show. It will take DECADES before there's a dent in the combustible engine as main mode of transport.

That's likely true. The WSJ has been doing some investigative articles about Tesla -they aren't the success Musk paints them to be, and are really only making money from selling pollution credits.

He's very smug about improving the world, blah, blah, but by selling those pollution credits, nothing is being accomplished for the environment.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2013/03/08/tesla-earns-40-million-selling-pollution-credits/

Tesla almost went broke on the Roadster, investors lost big bucks. Unlikely anyone over 40 or typical education will not buy electric cars, even now, the Tesla sales are all driven by the highest income, highest education zip codes in the US.

That's likely true. The WSJ has been doing some investigative articles about Tesla -they aren't the success Musk paints them to be, and are really only making money from selling pollution credits.

He's very smug about improving the world, blah, blah, but by selling those pollution credits, nothing is being accomplished for the environment.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2013/03/08/tesla-earns-40-million-selling-pollution-credits/

Tesla almost went broke on the Roadster, investors lost big bucks. Unlikely anyone over 40 or typical education will buy electric cars, even now, the Tesla sales are all driven by the highest income, highest education zip codes in the US.

You'll likely find that's true of other high end vehicles, like Lotus and Ferrari, also. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but that the rest of the US sticks to tried and true tech with value for the dollar.

Not to mention, Tesla is getting a lot of flack for selling directly to customers, and not having standard 'Dealerships' ala the auto industry as we know it.
A lot of money is made by the middle man, and they've taken that a way. Many lawsuits were brought up and are still on-going. They're trying to ban the sale of their car because of this.

They are going to eventually lose that battle about dealerships. Dealers have a huge political influence in the US, and we just do whatever Americans do.

Back
Top Bottom