Mesh Jacket too cold for most nights? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mesh Jacket too cold for most nights?

junior

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new jacket this year, something cooler than my heavy leather. Putting the safety and protection aspect aside as I'm aware of the differences, would a mesh jacket be too cold to right with most nights and early mornings? A lot of times when I ride, I leave the house during the day and end up riding home at night when it has cooled down. Wondering if I should go with a slightly warmer textile jacket instead of mesh.

Thoughts?

Yeah but easy to layer.

There are internal liners that are warm and waterproof ( tho the jacket gets soggy )
http://www.joerocket.com/sportswear-1/mens-dry-tech-waterproof-liner
I often wear just the liner when sitting around at the Forks on a crisp day

I most often used a hiviz over jacket that was both warm and waterproof. I have one of these and they are truly waterproof if done up properly and warm but do not breath.

image.php

Nights and early mornings are exactly when you want some hi-Viz

Mesh with no liner feels like you're not wearing a jacket at all on the highway.

Liner or some sort of baselayer would help.

It also depends on where you're riding. If you stay within an urban area, the heat island effect will help keep things a little warmer compared to rural areas.

I commute between Brampton and Orangeville. I can feel the temperature difference as soon as I pass Mayfield Road.

Is your leather jacket perforated? I have both an Alpinestars GP R Plus Jacket and Icon Hypersport jacket (perforated). They both breath fantastically well during the warm days (especially the hypersport) and keep me warm enough at night.
But to answer your question, I did get a bit nippy at night in the mesh jacket with no liner, but with the liner in, it did the job during mornings and nights. The liner usually folds up small enough to put under the rear cowling on the bike when not in use.

In the middle of the summer when it's really hot, mesh is fine for warmth. Right now it's too cold here unless you're bundled up like the Michelin man. It depends both on the weather, your location, and how much you react to the cold, so there isn't a one size fits all answer to the question.

Thanks for the feedback. I have my leather for the spring and fall days, plan on keeping it. Sounds like the liner is good enough for the summer nights.

yep ...there arte some nice mesh jackets on Kiji at the moment...good luck.
Buying new I like AirGlide

Thanks for the feedback. I have my leather for the spring and fall days, plan on keeping it. Sounds like the liner is good enough for the summer nights.
Yep, i did this my first season. Even rode into spring/fall with a base layer and sweater underneath.

a long sleeved Under Armour type shirt works well all year round
Mark's has some fairly priced stuff that works
offers a bit of warmth and wicks away sweat

can put whatever you like over that : layers to be removed as it warms

Last edited:
Or just use a windbreaker jacket of sorts over the mesh one. i.e. a liner on the outside, so the mesh acts like air pockets.

If you have a two piece bike rainsuit, just the rain jacket over a mesh or perforated leather jacket gets me by a 1º morning. Rainsuits also pack very small, just another option. Actually just got home half hour ago on bike and it is 1º now. If it were not for leather chaps I would have been wearing the rain pants too.

a long sleeved Under Armour type shirt works well all year round
Mark's has some fairly priced stuff that works
offers a bit of warmth and wicks away sweat can put whatever you like over that : layers to be removed as it warms
100% I wear a Under Armor Cold Gear compression shirt in the spring and fall, and Heat Gear in the summer (pants and shirt). The cold hear keeps the heat in, where the heat gear wicks the sweat and makes you feel cooler with any type of airflow. It's good stuff. Can be used for other activities also, gym, jogging, golf etc.
The Mark's ones are good also, but seem to be a tad thicker than the UA (not a big deal).
Keep you eye open for Under armor sales at Sport Chek! They go on sale often at 25%-40% off

I have long sleeved merino wool and silk shirts from MEC, plus both an insulated and a heated vest, that I can mix and match as needed.

I use the uniqulo heattech shirts.. they were on sale for $8.99 or close to that a few weeks ago.
Just another option to go under the mesh jackets.

On the really weird/long days, I'll often use my liners from my cold weather jacket with my Revit airwave and it works wonderfully for the early mornings/late evenings while the daytime highs are 30-40c

I use the uniqulo heattech shirts.. they were on sale for $8.99 or close to that a few weeks ago.
Just another option to go under the mesh jackets.

On the really weird/long days, I'll often use my liners from my cold weather jacket with my Revit airwave and it works wonderfully for the early mornings/late evenings while the daytime highs are 30-40c

40C?!

Back
Top Bottom