Mesh Jacket too cold for most nights? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mesh Jacket too cold for most nights?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new jacket this year, something cooler than my heavy leather. Putting the safety and protection aspect aside as I'm aware of the differences, would a mesh jacket be too cold to right with most nights and early mornings? A lot of times when I ride, I leave the house during the day and end up riding home at night when it has cooled down. Wondering if I should go with a slightly warmer textile jacket instead of mesh.

Thoughts?
You're darn right.
I remember being on a ride far from home once and nearly froze, had little money on me no rain suit so I stopped into a Wallymart just to buy the cheapest chinese made felt shirt that I could find, I think it saved my life. Layers are the answer to changing riding conditions imho. but if you have a good place to store a rain suit on the bike you will never be without a way to get on some comfort.

There's another recent thread that covers off most of the same options.

Gear Recommendations - Commuting

Mesh gear that comes with a removable liner for warmth and a windbreaker will do you for much of the season. I have Olympia Airglide mesh jacket + pants and a W & S jacket liner + heated gloves + heated socks + a dual remote Troller. Solid JR ballistic jacket + pants for beginning + end of season + Alpinestar SMX 1 + 6 boots. With this gear I have endless layering options and I always have my heated jacket + gloves along for the ride as they take up minimal space on a bike with 2 saddlebags and a 52L Givi topbox.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new jacket this year, something cooler than my heavy leather. Putting the safety and protection aspect aside as I'm aware of the differences, would a mesh jacket be too cold to right with most nights and early mornings? A lot of times when I ride, I leave the house during the day and end up riding home at night when it has cooled down. Wondering if I should go with a slightly warmer textile jacket instead of mesh.

Thoughts?
I don't like textile jackets because they cover so little of my riding. On 30 degree sunny days riding through city traffic -- can't beat them. Below 20, or any day with moisture -- no good.

My preference is light colored textile with good venting - white, silver or tan. They may get a little sweaty on hot days in city traffic, other than that they will cover you from May to October.

You mean mesh you don't like ?

I find the textile stiff compare to the mesh tho my Honda textile is certainly a go to for short rides tho not waterproof

and the Scott for touring as it handles everything and is longer than the others. But above 28 it's too hot.

You mean mesh you don't like ?

I find the textile stiff compare to the mesh tho my Honda textile is certainly a go to for short rides tho not waterproof

and the Scott for touring as it handles everything and is longer than the others. But above 28 it's too hot.
Right - I don't like mesh. I often ride in the wee hours, with the exception of a few days each summer, temps drop in the dark and mesh jackets get cold. I'm also no stranger to riding in the rain -- another time when mesh jackets are no treat, hot or not.

This means I have to have on jacket for day, another (or liner) for night, and another for rain. A well ventilated waterproof textile jacket in a light color does all of that comfortably. Sure, i'm going to be hot driving through the city on a 30degree day -- fortunately that's an unusual thing for me.

Back
Top Bottom