Mesh Gear That Will Hold Up to a Slide? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mesh Gear That Will Hold Up to a Slide?

style-wise, i like some of revit's textile stuff but i really wish they would make more colour options. a lot of the times its just black or a very dark color. i have too much black **** already!

I still want (and haven't seen) a textile (and/or mesh) garment with leather at the joints.

Likely hard to get a proper bond. Armor is your friend at the joints.

My knees are always tucked in these. They pivot so are comfortable.

X001.jpg
X001_D1.jpg

O'Neal 2020 Pumpgun Pivot Knee Guard | MotoSport

and weigh nothing.

Likely hard to get a proper bond. Armor is your friend at the joints.

My knees are always tucked in these. They pivot so are comfortable.

X001.jpg
X001_D1.jpg

O'Neal 2020 Pumpgun Pivot Knee Guard | MotoSport

and weigh nothing.
That mat he he best bet available. Textile come with armor, but in a crash, that rotates out of the way in a few feet leaving you with nothing. Armor attached directly to your body should stay in place better.

I went down in a mesh Alpinestars jacket at about 60 and my forearm had some friction burn but didn't even get close to tearing through. Still wear that jacket, love it

That mat he he best bet available. Textile come with armor, but in a crash, that rotates out of the way in a few feet leaving you with nothing. Armor attached directly to your body should stay in place better.
A proper fitting leather jacket won't usually rotate. Another plus for leather.

I still want (and haven't seen) a textile (and/or mesh) garment with leather at the joints. That way you have the protection where forces are most likely to be concentrated.
I've seen quite a few of these, actually.

Scorpion had some touring stuff in their EXO line about 8 years ago I was looking at. Seen a few others as well but that's the only one I remember.

Any idea if any companies use this stuff? Curious to check it out even if it's expensive.

Only one I know of that claims to compete with leather is Motoport.
Nobody uses stainless steel or spacer knits for MC wear. Motosport uses Kevlar fibers in some of their knits, that's more marketing hyperbole, than technical advantage. Kevlar is not well suited to MC gear as it's low elasticity make it shred incredibly fast when it hits asphalt (faster than nylon used in Cordura or even cotton) -- that's why none of the big brands use Kevlar. Read this: THE STRAIGHT STORY ON KEVLAR

There re companies that use steel mesh and spacer knits to make cut proof gloves and apparel, tactical gear, impact sports gear and prosthetics.

I understand kevlar also has a UV degredation issue, it might look ok, till it comes apart.

I understand kevlar also has a UV degredation issue, it might look ok, till it comes apart.
That's not really a factor as yarns used for outerwear are routinely treated to resist UV.

Kevlar will stop bullets better than nylon, it won't stop road-rash nearly as well.

Nobody uses stainless steel or spacer knits for MC wear. Motosport uses Kevlar fibers in some of their knits, that's more marketing hyperbole, than technical advantage. Kevlar is not well suited to MC gear as it's low elasticity make it shred incredibly fast when it hits asphalt (faster than nylon used in Cordura or even cotton) -- that's why none of the big brands use Kevlar. Read this: THE STRAIGHT STORY ON KEVLAR

There re companies that use steel mesh and spacer knits to make cut proof gloves and apparel, tactical gear, impact sports gear and prosthetics.
Interesting. They claim to have some of the only textile gear approved for track use and claim it's actually more abrasion resistant than leather unless their materials have changed.

Interesting. They claim to have some of the only textile gear approved for track use and claim it's actually more abrasion resistant than leather unless their materials have changed.
Where do you see track approvals? They use a lot of marketing hyperbole like "road racing suit", if your were a textile person you'd laugh at their "save your Hide Guide". After looking over their site, methinks they are selling snake oil -- I'd never trust anyone with so many meaningless and deceptive claims.

Fortnine has the best guides as far as gear is concerned, this one is my favorite:

Where do you see track approvals? They use a lot of marketing hyperbole like "road racing suit", if your were a textile person you'd laugh at their "save your Hide Guide". After looking over their site, methinks they are selling snake oil -- I'd never trust anyone with so many meaningless and deceptive claims.
"Motoport’s GP-1 and GP-2 stretch Suits are the only synthetic apparel approved for road racing. Stretch Material is Made with Dupont Kevlar Fiber /Dynatec/Lycra blend that is five times stronger than the best competition grade leather."

Fortnine has the best guides as far as gear is concerned, this one is my favorite:

Wasn't very helpful to me. All I got was look up the actual safety rating on helmets (already knew that) and anything other than leather is crap. Also pointed out that most CE certifications are useless which I already knew.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question to "Are there any mesh jackets that meet prEN17092 AA or higher?"

There are “ under garments “ that will help you stay dry and cooler. Uniqlo “square one” has under wear and t shirt to wick away sweat. Price is decent too. There socks that wick away sweat too.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

There are “ under garments “ that will help you stay dry and cooler. Uniqlo “square one” has under wear and t shirt to wick away sweat. Price is decent too. There socks that wick away sweat too.

it's just base layers. no big deal, many brands offer them.

"Motoport’s GP-1 and GP-2 stretch Suits are the only synthetic apparel approved for road racing. Stretch Material is Made with Dupont Kevlar Fiber /Dynatec/Lycra blend that is five times stronger than the best competition grade leather."

[/URL]
I don't believe there are any universally accepted standards for motorcycle race suit (racers chime in). Event and Track operators inspect and authorize the use of any given suit. Having designed, tested and manufactured miles of technical knit fabric made from aramids and elastane (Kevlar, Nomex, blended with lycra, spandex), I can tell you there is no way it's going to work like leather on the track.

First off it has a very high coefficient of drag. This means you're gonna stop faster and the fabric is going to transmit that heat through to the rider - the fabric won't catch fire however the heat is going somewhere -- read burn. Next, the abrasion resistance of Kevlar in not substantially improved by adding Lycra, it will make the garment stretchy which reduces tearing however the fabric still performs poorly in abrasion situations. Lycra is also a relatively short lived fiber and can degrade quickly when exposed to sunlight, water, solvents and fuels - not particularly useful in a race suit!

Enough on the textile lessons. Again, the claims made by a manufacturer don't really mean anything -- it's up to the track to OK your suit. If you want race in a textile suit -- go for it!

By most accounts Motosport makes great gear. Custom fit, personalized customer service and after purchase support appears to be great. I'm just not sold on all their marketing claims.

I have these by a couple different brands. None of them are very effective IMO.

Wicking undergarments rarely provide much value as a base layer -- they only work if the subsequent layers are ventilated well enough to transport the wicked moisture away. If there isn't a lot of ventilation then wicking garments will end up being stinky and clammy.

Back
Top Bottom