Mesh Gear That Will Hold Up to a Slide? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mesh Gear That Will Hold Up to a Slide?

unL33T

Other than the Motoport stuff is there any mesh gear that would actually hold up to a slide at highway speed on pavement?

I saw some ads for the Knox Urbane Pro and reviews seem to give it some good praise because it's got a new CE certification. The information I found indicates that the spec it meets is just to not puncture in less than 0.5 seconds at 25 kph. Not exactly confidence inspiring to me.

RevIt and Klim have some very expensive mesh gear but I can't find any information on whether their expensive mesh is actually any better than cheap mesh.

I guess it's a bit late in the season now but w/e.

Personal choice.I always ask myself if my gear would be allowed at a trackday.Where there are no curbs,no cars,no oncoming traffic,etc etc etc.You know the answer.

I doubt you will find anything mesh that's gonna give you Cordura or leather type protection. If you are looking at cooler operation and good slide protection, get a light colored textile jacket with really good ventilation. I ride with a KLIM Dakar and FirstGear Rush -- both have great summer ventilation.

Other than the Motoport stuff is there any mesh gear that would actually hold up to a slide at highway speed on pavement?

I saw some ads for the Knox Urbane Pro and reviews seem to give it some good praise because it's got a new CE certification. The information I found indicates that the spec it meets is just to not puncture in less than 0.5 seconds at 25 kph. Not exactly confidence inspiring to me.

RevIt and Klim have some very expensive mesh gear but I can't find any information on whether their expensive mesh is actually any better than cheap mesh.

I guess it's a bit late in the season now but w/e.
2nd the textile gear with venting.

I can recommend this, already survived one accident. Small hole near the elbow area, rest is good to go. Found it at Riders Choice in Sauga.

Vents air very well....just don't get caught in the rain because every last drop will go through it. Sadly i know this first hand from an impromptu rain shower.

Personal choice.I always ask myself if my gear would be allowed at a trackday.Where there are no curbs,no cars,no oncoming traffic,etc etc etc.You know the answer.
I am aware gear options are a personal choice but that wasn't the question...

The answer I came up with was no, there is none that will hold up other than maybe the Motoport stuff.

But that's why I asked. :)

In my eyes, leathers are best for the track but textiles are better for the street. There are a couple of reasons why textiles are better for the street.

1) Coefficient of friction for leather on ashphalt is lower than textiles. This means you're gonna slide up to 30% further in leathers which is great on the track where obstacles have been minimized, not so great on roads where curbs, poles, trees, guardrails etc. present a greater injury hazard.
2) Heat related stress and fatigue are considerable rider safety factors. They are manageable in textiles design, leather cannot achieve the same comfort levels. This is particularly critical for hot weather riding.
3) Element protection is easier to solve with textiles. Comfort in inclement conditions contributes to rider safety by reducing stress and fatigue.

Just bought gear recently, was considering this as well,
in terms of safety its:
Leather >> Textile >>Mesh
Mesh and textile are fine, but are a one and done deal

High quality leather is a gift that keeps on giving.

Sure mesh and textile breathe better and do a better job of cooling, but Id rather lose sweat than skin
In the cooler months of the year, I bet leather will do a better job of keeping you warmer as well

in terms of safety its:

Sure mesh and textile breathe better and do a better job of cooling, but Id rather lose sweat than skin
In the cooler months of the year, I bet leather will do a better job of keeping you warmer as well

You are right, textiles are one and done. They are also about 1/2 the cost of comparable leathers so after your first slide you can still afford new kit! If you plan more than good 2 slides I agree, save money and get leathers.

In terms of safety that's not the case, textile jackets are safer on the road. Most critical road injuries are a result of contact with stationary objects. Textile jackets are designed with a higher coefficient of drag against asphalt, this minimizes slide distances and the probability of impacting an immovable obstacle. Just hope the extra 30 feet of sliding offered by leathers doesn't get interrupted by a curb or a tree.

A decent textile jacket will be good well below riding temps. I use my Technic and Klim 4-season jackets for riding in the fall and on for sledding in the winter.

Sad but true, just learn't this. Bough a new pair of Alpinestar Drystar textile pants 3 weeks back, one lowslide (20-35kp/h) all ripped up, did their job. Interestingly only ripped till the drystar membrane, which held up. I can also highly praise the Re'vit SeeSmart Armour which I replaced the clunky ones with. Icon textile Jacket I was wearing, also ripped, no longer waterproof. All this gear was textile with vents, I cant imagine what would have happened with mesh.

I have a Dainese leather jacket I wear very rarely, I still prefer textile for all day touring comfort.

Guess the answer is a no. Too bad. Was hoping maybe some of this new technology might've changed things in the last decade.

Second the chain mail, hold the vest

He should teach night courses.

chain maille , not chain mail . Its not a linked line of letters, its metal bits hooked together.

original question, I dont know any mesh that stands up. Not all textiles are equal, but the premium brands like Kilm and alpinestars do test the fabric and have proven results

All leathers are not equal, jackets like Vanson will be gifted to your kids. Toronto motorcycle show el cheapo from south asia are often sheep and goat skin and they do not stand up in a slide. With leather its all about grain and mm of thickness, kangaroo = very tough , cow= very good, sheep= tear with your fingers. It really is a case of you get what you pay for.

Tossed it down at around 80kms/hr about 10 yrs ago.

Joe Rocket mesh held, but was garbage after. So I think suits do hold up (as much as we can ask), but they are one time use. Leather can be repaired and obviously it's better.

Second the chain mail, hold the vest
In my last life I manufactured specialty textiles, one of my customers was a well known American MC apparel maker. It's possible to exceed the safety performance of leathers with textiles, even with mesh, the problem is cost. The fiber is expensive, but worse is the cost of equipment and expertise necessary to design, cut and sew the finished garments. No manufacturer is going through the product development and marketing expense for such a small market.

The hybrid nylon/kevlar & stainless steel meshes as well as spacer meshes we developed both were much tougher then the standard 600D Cordura wovens used in high quality textile jackets, they were also more puncture resistant and slide resistant than leathers. No solution to the one-and-done.

In my last life I manufactured specialty textiles, one of my customers was a well known American MC apparel maker. It's possible to exceed the safety performance of leathers with textiles, even with mesh, the problem is cost. The fiber is expensive, but worse is the cost of equipment and expertise necessary to design, cut and sew the finished garments. No manufacturer is going through the product development and marketing expense for such a small market.

The hybrid nylon/kevlar & stainless steel meshes as well as spacer meshes we developed both were much tougher then the standard 600D Cordura wovens used in high quality textile jackets, they were also more puncture resistant and slide resistant than leathers. No solution to the one-and-done.
Any idea if any companies use this stuff? Curious to check it out even if it's expensive.

Only one I know of that claims to compete with leather is Motoport.

I still want (and haven't seen) a textile (and/or mesh) garment with leather at the joints. That way you have the protection where forces are most likely to be concentrated.

in terms of safety its:

2 jackets is key. I have a leather for fall/spring and chilly nights a textile-mesh for majority of summer weather.

Back
Top Bottom