Mesh Gear That Will Hold Up to a Slide? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mesh Gear That Will Hold Up to a Slide?

I haven't checked in a while, but are there jackets with superfabric in the skid areas?
Friend has gone down in revit airwave (gen 1) jacket and pants, and they both held up okay.. I think it is classified as a textile jacket.
His gloves with superfabric barely changed in appearance, maybe a slightly roughed up surface but he's still using all that gear after a 40/km/h skid

I can attest to Revit's airwave lineup, yes, it will stuck a tiny bit more when stuck in downtown traffic but it allows you to be in moisture wicking garments or shorts underneath and even at 40*c+ weather, it feels great once you get up to speed and off the saddle.

You don't skid far at 40k :| about as much as if you are running real fast and trip.

You don't skid far at 40k :| about as much as if you are running real fast and trip.
I found out the hard way jeans won't even hold up to that.

Yeah, Jeans are only good for the initial contact. I cant remember the distance exactly, but IIRC <<10 feet for heavy Jean's and << less than that for fashion Jean's.

Yeah, Jeans are only good for the initial contact. I cant remember the distance exactly, but IIRC

Yeah mine ripped open instantly. Then again as a kid I’ve ripped them just from tripping while running.

I hated crashing bicycles, thats where I learned not to put my palms out

Remember to Duck and Cover.

Depends on the kind of jeans, I've seen pictures of the resurgence riding jeans survive 100km/h with barely a scratch on them.

I myself crash tested my'n last year and they held up just fine, better than my collar bone and shoulder anyway

I hated crashing bicycles, thats where I learned not to put my palms out

Remember to Duck and Cover.
Snowboarding is also great for teaching you to keep your arms in. You get lots of practice. Hopefully on a bicycle you aren't crashing that often.

I had to put my arm out in one bicycle crash to save my head and it knocked my shoulder out. It was the right decision but still sucks.

Depends on the kind of jeans, I've seen pictures of the resurgence riding jeans survive 100km/h with barely a scratch on them.

I myself crash tested my'n last year and they held up just fine, better than my collar bone and shoulder anyway
Interesting. Looking those up lead me to this article. Any of the materials experts care to comment on the validity of this?

It claims leather has a slide time of 4-5 seconds while PEKEV does over 10. It also mentions some unlined jeans that meet a 4 second slide time, similar to leather, and even one that lasts 11 seconds.

Interesting. Looking those up lead me to this article. Any of the materials experts care to comment on the validity of this?

[/URL][/URL]

It claims leather has a slide time of 4-5 seconds while PEKEV does over 10. It also mentions some unlined jeans that meet a 4 second slide time, similar to leather, and even one that lasts 11 seconds.
If you are sliding on fabric for more than four seconds with the same spot touching the road you are having a very bad day. I will try to run the numbers later, but I have a feeling a four second slide with the friction provided by fabric will be a pretty high starting speed (and your contact point normally moves around a bit during the slide further extending your safe time).

Textile jacket

[/URL]

Blah blah. Most of the articles you read are marketing poofery with facts and figures supplied by garment makers or hoisted from yarn spec sheets. THERE IS A LOT OF MARKETING POOFERY IN GARMENTS.

Where the rubber hits the road (no pun intended) is in real life testing. Lab testing of textiles has a small but mostly irrelevant impact on real life product performance. For instance, aramids like Kevlar and PEKEV are "20 times stronger than steel!" when you stretch a 600 denier strand in a lab. Make a chain mail glove and a kevlar glove, then see how many fingers a butcher has after 10 years using each.

Clothing is the same. There are article textile factors: drag coefficient, shear, tensile strength, stretch, melt points, abrasion resistance.... design factors: stretch, seam strength, fastener strength, fit, heat transmission, construction factors: fabric quality, construction quality, and then terrain factors: track, street, asphalt, dirt, concrete, trail.

Standards are emerging for the testing of MC safety garments, but they are still years away from being meaningful. Till then the best bet is to stick with the established brands that have a track record for making stuff that saves injuries and lives. Lucky for us, most manufacturers are pretty good.

I agree with you in the most part but

that have a track record for making stuff that saves injuries and lives

saving lives ( aside from helmets ) is perhaps too strong.
An Australian study shows gear in fatal accidents made little difference.
Gear in non-fatal accidents makes a huge difference to injury severity.

And yeah ...kudos to the manufacturers and to a degree to the standards committees for moving protection forward.
not sure there is a "track record" that can be accessed for any of them.

Now if they'd just get the sizing sorted. ;)

Last edited:
I agree with you in the most part but

saving lives ( aside from helmets ) is perhaps too strong.
An Australian study shows gear in fatal accidents made little difference.
Gear in non-fatal accidents makes a huge difference to injury severity.

And yeah ...kudos to the manufacturers and to a degree to the standards committees for moving protection forward.
not sure there is a "track record" that can be accessed for any of them.

Now if they'd just get the sizing sorted. ;)
I'd agree with that. Fatalities are normally trauma related, so gear isn't going to provide much. If you survive, you will be thanking (or not) you gear for keeping the pain off your skin and whats below that if your skin gets sanded off.

My kid's university roommate rides professionally, he slid and sanded thru a glove -- his pinky got about 1/2 the skin and bone sanded off. After seeing that I decided to always wear gloves -- even going around the corner to the store.

I can't ride without gloves....just feels wrong.
Agree.

So I was chatting with Resurgence Gear via Facebook and they told me their New Wave pants meet EN 13595 level 1 and all specs of level 2 except seam burst.

They claim EN 13595 level 1 exceeds the specs of the newer EN 17092 class AAA.

They said any garment that meets EN13595 level 1 should at least meet EN17092-4 (AAA class) but an EN17092-4 (AAA class) may not necessarily meet EN13595.

Can anyone that understands these standards better than me comment if what Resurgence is saying is at all accurate?

Agree.

So I was chatting with Resurgence Gear via Facebook and they told me their New Wave pants meet EN 13595 level 1 and all specs of level 2 except seam burst.

They said any garment that meets EN13595 level 1 should at least meet EN17092-4 (AAA class) but an EN17092-4 (AAA class) may not necessarily meet EN13595.

Can anyone that understands these standards better than me comment if what Resurgence is saying is at all accurate?
I bet it's accurate, it just might not mean much in a real live accident.

Agree.

Blah blah blah.

Back
Top Bottom