Meng Wanzhou | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Meng Wanzhou

As a start, an individual person could take a moral stance and not buy anything marked as made in china. For complicated objects like cars, you are unlikely to get to zero percent but for everyday objects like pencils, paper, some electronics, etc you can make that choice (normally at a cost of less selection and more money).
It's unrealistic.

It's unrealistic.
Why? If we as individuals aren't willing to take that small step, we are in no position to criticize JT for not kicking them in the balls. We just need to alter our perception and we could drastically reduce chinese consumer goods coming in. Lots of TV's are not made in china, pick one made somewhere else. Phones and tablets are probably harder but you can probably come up with something there too. Even apple makes some of their phones outside of china (although I have no idea how you would source one from a specific origin). Instead of a box of chinese pencils for $3, buy a mechanical pencil made in the usa or staedtler pencils if you prefer old school. Lots of simple daily choices and each individual could reduce the amount that gets sent to china by thousands of dollars a year.

Why? If we as individuals aren't willing to take that small step, we are in no position to criticize JT for not kicking them in the balls. We just need to alter our perception and we could drastically reduce chinese consumer goods coming in. Lots of TV's are not made in china, pick one made somewhere else. Phones and tablets are probably harder but you can probably come up with something there too. Even apple makes some of their phones outside of china (although I have no idea how you would source one from a specific origin). Instead of a box of chinese pencils for $3, buy a mechanical pencil made in the usa or staedtler pencils if you prefer old school. Lots of simple daily choices and each individual could reduce the amount that gets sent to china by thousands of dollars a year.

Because we couldn't even get the nation to wear a mask; we're literally more retarded than most Asian (possibly most EU too, but I don't know enough about them) countries when it comes to unification.

There is also guaranteed racism going that route (not implying anyone here is racist, but just think how fast the racists came out when COVID was initially said to be from China.)

Because we couldn't even get the nation to wear a mask; we're literally more retarded than most Asian (possibly most EU too, but I don't know enough about them) countries when it comes to unification.

There is also guaranteed racism going that route (not implying anyone here is racist, but just think how fast the racists came out when COVID was initially said to be from China.)
I'm not talking about it as a public policy decision. I agree, if it were presented from above it would be a disaster (half the people telling the man to f off, the other half calling the man racist). It can be a personal decision implemented by any person that individually wants to try for better. Will me stopping to buy made in china matter to china? Hell no. If a few thousand do something similar, maybe it can be measured. If a few hundred thousand or a few million decide to follow the path, China will be unimpressed.

I'm not criticizing him as we really don't have tools to do anything about China as a country.

And at least half of the components inside will be still made in China. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
True but 50% is better than 100% if you want to minimize their power.

There will be more abductions.

I seriously doubt it. We're motivated by individualism and greed; China knows this and has made businesses bend over as a result.
Canada could in a heartbeat make it harder for chinese to come here (oh sorry we're revamping our consolate and we can't issue visa's at this time) and make it harder for them to invest their stolen money here (new law no investments from human rights abusing states).
And tariffs and so on and so on. Just no stones to do it.

Agree. Sadly, I will not be visiting China anytime soon (and likely never). Not worth the risk even though it would probably be an amazing experience. Lots of other countries to visit first with less BS.
And it's full of brainwashed chinese.

We really did not have much leverage given the size comparison of the economies. As much as our egos may want (or think) otherwise.

The only thing IMO where we had real leverage was the threat of deporting (revoking visas) of all the students in our universities (and colleges) from China. Many powerful, rich and connected people have their kids here going to school (and living in homes they bought...). COVID19 and online slightly reduced the leverage. Many downsides, but one off the top is some smaller schools have a very heavy reliance on foreign students (30%++++), others less so--some are near/at bankruptcy today because of COVID for this reason. It would also hurt our credibility with other countries sending students here propping up our schools.

Half way or more through your degree (maybe a couple of credits away), sorry you can't complete it. Oh, BTW that house is no longer a primary residence.... but really, pokeing them in the eye would likely not be a good call.

BUT, in other totally unrelated news....

Last edited:
how can 5 Eyes have huawei tech in the network?

Canada could in a heartbeat make it harder for chinese to come here (oh sorry we're revamping our consolate and we can't issue visa's at this time) and make it harder for them to invest their stolen money here (new law no investments from human rights abusing states).
And tariffs and so on and so on. Just no stones to do it.

We won't, because they keep buying expensive cars and property.

Government loves that money! Real estate agents love that money too! Much economy, much wow.

This is why I hate greed.

We really did not have much leverage given the size comparison of the economies. As much as our egos may want (or think) otherwise.

The only thing IMO where we had real leverage was the threat of deporting (revoking visas) of all the students in our universities (and colleges) from China. Many powerful, rich and connected people have their kids here going to school (and living in homes they bought...). COVID19 and online slightly reduced the leverage. Many downsides, but one off the top is some smaller schools have a very heavy reliance on foreign students (30%++++), others less so--some are near/at bankruptcy today because of COVID for this reason. It would also hurt our credibility with other countries sending students here propping up our schools.

Half way or more through your degree (maybe a couple of credits away), sorry you can't complete it. Oh, BTW that house is no longer a primary residence.... but really, pokeing them in the eye would likely not be a good call.

BUT, in other totally unrelated news....

We are a peaceful bottom ***** country. I'm mostly happy with this. I don't see anyone here would suggest poking a tiger when we are prey, unless, of course, we aren't aware of our position.

Last edited:
The irony, yes brands x,y,z, etc. are US or western companies but they make lots, maybe most of their HW and plenty of SW in China. Does anyone believe that they do not contain a backdoor unknown to the "brand" on the card/router/CMTS/OLT/phone/5Gcell/etc.????? Oh, emergency SW patch from....

The irony, yes brands x,y,z, etc. are US or western companies but they make lots, maybe most of their HW and plenty of SW in China. Does anyone believe that they do not contain a backdoor unknown to the "brand" on the card/router/CMTS/OLT/phone/5Gcell/etc.????? Oh, emergency SW patch from....

I would like to believe those companies are not outsourcing to China. Outsource software development is more so Indian from what I've seen.

I would like to believe those companies are not outsourcing to China. Outsource software development is more so Indian from what I've seen.
No, tonnes of China for HW and SW. We literally get told by US companies we can't get a fix because of some holiday or you have to wait until they are in the office..... I have been on countless calls with shifted times because, we have to work with their office hours. It is the norm. It is entirely ironic....

Back
Top Bottom