Mature sport bike rider group | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mature sport bike rider group

dragonrider

Hi guys, I know it is kinda late in the season but what the heck, maybe for the the next season.
Here is my thought.
I enjoy riding my r6 but since I am relatively mature (cough*old*cough) and have family and all the goodies, I can't ride it like all the young and crazy dudes:). I just want to test water here and see how many guys like a riding group for older sport bike riders (35+) who enjoy riding sport bike but dont want to do all the crazy stuff on the bike.

If anybody is interested, just reply this topic and I will keep you informed if it happens.

If you think the idea stinks, let me know too.

Cheers.

Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't restrict by age. I get wanting to find like riders, but I am frequently the older rider in a pack,
and having some new riders around helps me to set a sane speed. Best of luck though, it's not easy to find compatible riding partners.

Old-Balls-keep-my-license-rides?

I'm in. :cool:

I primarily ride with a semi-closed group (Motorcycle Distraction), but I'd likely be in for this too next season/year. Love speed at times, but common sense plus the desire to keep my license (and keep my insurance as low as possible) always wins out.

Currently ride a 2011 CBR250RA, but hoping to upgrade to a 600 (likely either CBR600RRA, ZX-6R, or GSX-R600) sometime next year.

Also to the OP, best way to handle this would likely be to gather interest (like you are doing), then when people go on rides, screen them depending on how they ride/behave, etc. If anyone seems like a bad fit (could be due to speeding, stunting, too new, etc) then remove from the group and future rides. In a way, that's how the group I ride with typically handles things as well.

Last edited:
tough to find compatible riders. The only person I have ridden with that I trust 100% is my wife. I know what she will do and how she rides. She rides very conservatively where I tend to like a more spirited but still moderate compared to some pace. I don't drag my knee through corners etc. She knows I will take off a bit when the opportunity arises, but I always wait for her down the road.

I've ridden with some guys that have skills/capabilities that either far surpass mine or have a very different risk tolerance. Most are pretty good guys and I am the guy at the back of the pack with them. They wait and don't judge.

Your concept sounds pretty good and I would be interested for next season, not sure if the geography works, but willing to see how things go

Same school of thought here. If you don't want to take the lead yourself, just go on different rides that various leaders organize, and find out who you like riding with. There are a fair number of mature ride leaders out there ... they tend to be more low key than the attention whores.

On our Thursday evening rides, the emphasis is on finding corners and somewhat scenic routes (the best we can do in the area ... there's only so much that can be done) and not on high speeds on straightaways. No noobs, no stunters. It has worked out pretty well. It's a bit of a haul from where you are, though.

I'm always interested in sane rides, that's the way I tend to do it.
No point going 200 km/h through some small towns up north and generating heat for everyone. Not only is it selfish, it's also stupid and doesn't prove anything. Anyone can open the throttle. No skill involved.

My rides are fairly laid back so you can always look me up for next season, I post them now and then.

Other than that, your mature group idea is not bad but it will be a bit difficult to execute.

Age restrictions are not a good concept either. I am 33 myself. There are some crazy 40 year old dudes and super mature 20s.

Post up some rides for next year, see who comes out, people will peel off if they're not comfortable with your riding style.

I'm definitely interested in this idea. I've not been on many group rides as unfortunately there's always something that sneaks up on me and I feel horrible cancelling at the last minute.

However next season I'm going to make it more of an effort to get out and meet more like minded riders for some sane riding! Keep me on the list for next season for sure.

I would be interested. I just did my M1 exit last this last weekend and will be picking up something to ride early next spring. I hope it's no a problem, but I'm still on the right side of 30 :)

I like the idea of group rides, but I've been conerned that to keep up I would have to travel at unsafe speeds and:
1) Lose my license
2) Lose my bike
3) Lose body parts
4) Die in a fiery crash

I'm going to have to put some time in early next year to make sure I'm comfortable doing the speed limit, but I'll keep an eye on this.

I would be interested. I just did my M1 exit last this last weekend and will be picking up something to ride early next spring. I hope it's no a problem, but I'm still on the right side of 30 :)
Welcome aboard and Congrats :D

I like the idea of group rides, but I've been conerned that to keep up I would have to travel at unsafe speeds and:
1) Lose my license
2) Lose my bike
3) Lose body parts
4) Die in a fiery crash
All of the above are possible which is why you need to ride at your own pace.

I'm going to have to put some time in early next year to make sure I'm comfortable doing the speed limit, but I'll keep an eye on this.

Best of luck and ride safe

Thanks for the positive response guys. To me any number greater than 1 is group ride. So I have more than enough interest generated. LoL

Ok, maybe the age is not a very good qualifier but I can't think of any other simple ones (married? with kids? physically AND mentally healthy? BMI >50? )

I hope the spirit of the riding group will accommodate the following:
- schedule - I found out the schedule of the older guys with family tends to be either extremely spontaneous (there are 5 minutes between changing diapers, let me take a quick spin) or extremely inflexible (****, my wife has booked all my weekends until, like, forever!)
- interests - ok, during the coffee break, I prefer to talk about how stinky the diapers are and not how many chicks I banged last night (at least not to the strangers):lmao:
- longevity - I want to see my kid grow up
- sport bike - well, I've seen sport/cruiser mixed group, it just doesn't look right. I prefer to ride with other sport bike riders but the sane ones. So all the Hell's Angel wannabes, come to beat me up:smilebox:

I think it might be a little late in the season but next year keep an eye open to the "Still in the Game" group rides. I have been on some great rides with this group. I think equally important to finding people who ride with a similar style is to find a group that is not too large...... wait a minute... forget what just said... Ah too late now I guess.. See you next year.

I'm pretty much with everyone else on this. Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Depending on which way you were heading, geography might be an issue for me sometimes as well.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread though, and hope to see you next season. (This is going to be a long winter..)

Could be interested as well, depending on when/where the rides are.

I still like to have some fun and push it a little in corners, but would rather not go to jail. I'm 29.

I find that the K-W area rides are really good and pretty much in this spirit - everyone's friendly and no one's scraping pegs.

Back
Top Bottom