Making it all fit (garage pics) | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Making it all fit (garage pics)

Posted this in the past, but it’s still nice, added a tv to the white wall, still have to drywall, one day....

My garage looked like that...when we bought the house. ;)

As soon as I moved in all my tools, lawncare equipment, the aforementioned snowmobile, the deep freezer, and some other stuff....it didn't look like that for long.

Parking your daily driver in the garage in winter speeds up corrosion. Corrosion rate increases with temperature, the car gets covered in salt slush and then parked in a warmish garage the corrosion rate is much faster than parked outside. Even though the garage is not heated it will always be much warmer than outside, commonly above 0°. If you only keep the vehicle for a few years and buy a new one it is not going to impact you but if you intend to keep it a long time it will.

One more reason to keep the garage reserved for toys....
That all makes sense to me. It will be somewhat offset by the happier engine though. Starting the car with the engine at ~5C instead of -25C makes a huge difference in warm up time. I guess a lot depends on whether you own vehicles that normally die from corrosion or mechanical exhaustion. I hate buying cars and normally keep them for ~10 years or 350K. We'll see how this set does on the corrosion front with the constant temperature cycling.

As promised, here’s the reason just hanging the sled up for display isn’t realistic. ?

image.jpg

Until the snow got bad this winter, we have never parked a car in the garage. I will say, it is quite a nice experience. Now I am itching to kick them out again to get some space back. The lift is down and my car is in the middle until I get some time to do my wifes snows. She was grumpy with her cold snowy car this morning.

Almost any garage capacity needs to be minus one for stuff. A two car garage is one at best for the vast majority of people. A one car garage (especially a modern one car garage that barely fits a car with nothing else in it), forget it, it's not for cars. That being said, my wife bought a cheap bike trailer/stroller (costco chariot knockoff) from a guy that was super upset about how cluttered his garage was. He opened the door and that stroller was literally the only thing in the double garage. Amazing.

Where I located the lift, I need to back up, close the garage door, then roll forward to park and open the door. There is ~1" from my license plate to the door and the beam won't let the door come down in its final resting spot. Sometimes less than an inch if the car isn't dead nuts straight. If I was building my own house, definitely wider garage doors and probably segmented area (eg. two car garage for the daily drivers, a separate space for the toys/tools). Oh well, not likely to happen.

Still working out a toy shed design that can pass architectural control, by-law and maximize volume. Also need to add a driveway and culvert unless I access it from my neighbours so that is probably the biggest obstacle. Accessing it from my side has a 4' wide choke point in stone.
I use my garage as a workshop and storage for my bikes. When I built it I went 30x30 go I could park bikes at the back and cars in the front. Wishful thinking.

I shouldn't have used magnetic concrete for the floor, it's attracted all kinds of tools and tool boxes, and a few toys that that are clogging up my space. This summer's project will be a purge and re-org. I have a second story loft above the main space so the ceiling is 8' -- no room overhead, no rafter space. I had originally planned a basement under the garage floor but that ended up being way too costly -- 4 extra feet of excavating and foundation wall, tensioned slab, and a bunch of safety requirements for ventilation added $20K+ to the build. Bought bikes instead.

I bought a 3 storey townhouse with a double car garage back in 2009 from builder plans, moved in in 2010 and it was your standard drywalled, builder painted white with no shelving or anything...hubby moved in in 2017 and we did this...floor paint hasn't held up as much as we would've liked (and yes, we bought concrete paint, etched and did the procedure as outlined on the can) but I think it still looks cool...hubby parks his truck in the driveway...

Attachments

• 20200415_113638 resized.jpg
    20200415_113638 resized.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200415_113657 resized.jpg
    20200415_113657 resized.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 39
  • image3 resized.jpeg
    image3 resized.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200415_113611 resized.jpg
    20200415_113611 resized.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 40
@ifiddles I really like the yellow stripes

Last edited:
Currently 3 sleds, the KTM and Duc, the atv, and I can still fit my SUV in there. Looking forward to a bigger garage on the way.
(Edit: and I have no idea how to rotate top pic)
20190430_155447.jpg
20200401_133725.jpg

Last edited:
@moarmoto thanks...it's a deep hunter green and with the yellow lines it really pops...

@oioioi thanks...we wanted it to look like a road hence the solid line on one side and the dotted line on the other...

the whole build of the shelves and unit that covers my fuse panel and wiring wasn't that bad...weekends mostly for about 3 weeks...painting the floor took a while because of all the drying and curing wait time in between steps and coats...

well worth it though... :D

If I was to do anything to a concrete floor in a garage, I'd suggest epoxy, not paint.

The previous owner in our garage did paint. Suffice to say it is NOT a pretty sight right now, although my garage (and the floors) has seen a lot of abuse over the years, but unless your garage is almost a showroom and not actually a working garage, paint is never going to stand up long term.

Epoxy, done by a professional company, is a million times more durable, and you can do some freakin cool designs with it as well.

@PrivatePilot I considered epoxy for our garage. However everything I read stated that the floor has to be very level for it to look good. Otherwise it looks garbage and our floor is not all that even. That would have to be first step.

@PrivatePilot I considered epoxy for our garage. However everything I read stated that the floor has to be very level for it to look good. Otherwise it looks garbage and our floor is not all that even. That would have to be first step.

I would think a “clean” concrete is more important than level

can’t have grease or oil spots

I have the do it yourself epoxy. But I think if I was to do it again I would get a professionally done epoxy.
It is on the long list of Renos in the house. Way at the bottom.

Not sure. What I do know is that I've seen 50+ year old warehouse facilities done in epoxy (It's popular in the food related industries because it's easy to keep spotlessly clean) and it came out awesome...and I have my doubt any of those floors were in perfect condition or perfectly level, either.

I guess it comes down to the company doing it and their ability to adapt and manage that sort of stuff.

I've heard mixed reactions on the Home Depot "DIY" epoxy stuff, but the true commercial grade stuff seems bulletproof and adaptable.

Looks great. I’ve heard you can throw in a heavy grain sand to the mix to add grip. I agree, the one downside of the epoxy floors is they are slippery as hell when wet.

Looks great. I’ve heard you can throw in a heavy grain sand to the mix to add grip. I agree, the one downside of the epoxy floors is they are slippery as hell when wet.

I used the stuff that came in the kit, it don’t help,,,,lol

i just try to keep it dry

i just wish I could find the time to drywall, and finish the lighting

maybe this summer...

Back
Top Bottom