M2 expiry questions | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 expiry questions

The mto exit test was super strict with lane positions, even though at some parts I felt my experience says otherwise. Super wide lane on a two way, I was positioned maybe between left tire track and centre (my Lane could seriously fit 2 cars), but he claims I was too much in the 'middle' ? second try practically hugged the yellow middle and that was 'good', even a tailgater almost passed me on the inside. ?
I know what you're saying, I had to redo my M road test when I exchanged my CA licence. I had to bite my tongue while receiving my post-test debrief. I learned it was risky to engage your 4 ways before dismounting from your bike in an emergency stop demonstration, and that moving out of your track to avoid potholes was dangerous.

@Trials yup.. they claimed that lane position as left tire track is mandatory...
They lied, no such law exists, possibly a best practice but that does not make it mandatory.

They lied, no such law exists, possibly a best practice but that does not make it mandatory.
Agree, I did my test 2019 Aug, and prior to the test the guy gave us sometime to ask some questions. One of the question I asked was, at specific situations, do i go with what MTO vs my own safety. And he said definitely your own safety over anything, even if you had to speed up to get out of a bad situation then slowing back down, that's not an issue. i.e. Getting out of a blind spot of somebody.

Mind you this guy later told me he rides as well, so he understands.

But I think all of this really depends on the guy you get. I have heard some pretty bad once out there.

Well that's just dumb, the entire lane is yours and you are allowed to use any part of it you need to, could have been a dozen reasons why you chose that part to ride on and you found one of them on your second run.

Wrongo.
Lane positioning is marked on the test multiple times.

Agree, I did my test 2019 Aug, and prior to the test the guy gave us sometime to ask some questions. One of the question I asked was, at specific situations, do i go with what MTO vs my own safety. And he said definitely your own safety over anything, even if you had to speed up to get out of a bad situation then slowing back down, that's not an issue. i.e. Getting out of a blind spot of somebody.

Mind you this guy later told me he rides as well, so he understands.

But I think all of this really depends on the guy you get. I have heard some pretty bad once out there.

The route and checks are predetermined.

Wrongo.
Lane positioning is marked on the test multiple times.
Righto, then give us the reference in the HTA.
Lane position is in the driver test training manual including staggered formation when riding with another motorcycle too, but those are still best practices. Mandatory means required by law, he should have said it was a best practice and left it at that, fail to observe enough best practice situations and I'm sure you would fail the test.

... they also want you to say when you go from pavement to gravel that you should slow down :/ but if I'm riding the street on an enduro with full knobby tires :LOL: not.

What is your lane position if you are riding Queen Street; between the street car tracks, between the left track and the road centre line, or ride the left track?

Last edited:
It's not in the HTA.
It is in the M2x test.

It's not in the HTA.
It is in the M2x test.
It's not in the HTA because there is no such law.
It's in the driver test because they are testing your knowledge of best practices.

Mandatory -> "required by law or rules; compulsory.
"wearing helmets was made mandatory for cyclists"

Straight from the english dictionary.

You will NEVER get a ticket for riding your motorcycle too much in the middle of your own lane.

You will NEVER get a ticket for riding your motorcycle too much in the middle of your own lane.
But you will fail your test for that. Hence, one of the problems I have with all Drivetest tests. They test criteria should be clearly detailed in a public, easily found and easily accessed location. There is no good reason not to publish (other than fundraising by making people pay for retests that violated the unwritten rules).

Oh. Hold on a minute there are tons of other criteria I could also mention not in the HTA that loses you points on the test.

The guy testing you can fail you for any reason they wish, they are in that position of authority. If they choose to abuse that authority they can do that too! unless they are looking for sex, then you could probably have their job for that and you will still fail the test.

Realistically they are trained to let the actual test pass or fail the individual.
But this isn't a perfect world.

Just beware of some schools. I was approached by one school to teach (a big one), when I went to their orientation it turns out for the privileged of being one of their teachers you need to invest $400 into classes AND work for free for several weekends. After that you can tie up a min of 6 summer weekends to make a little more than minimum wage.

I'm curious which school. I teach at Georgian, and yes you have to pay to take their instructor course and do a shadow and two practicum courses. But your first paid course as an instructor pays more than the initial financial investment. Pays more than my regular 9-5, and I make over minimum wage at that job.

As for the OP, as other said, try the test this year, don't wait until the last minute as stuff can come up and you might have to start over again

I realize MC instruction isn't a cash cow business, I don't care about the cash -- but I'm not a public service for a for-profit business.

If I could figure out how to get MOT approved to deliver M1 and M2 exit tests as an independent -- I'd do it for free.
You would teach people how to ride for free, and yet you went to an instructor orientation, for what purpose?

I need to get mine by 2021 so I am feeling the pressure. A lot of people say how strict the MTO test is so I've always leaned towards the course but it's obviously a lot more money. I consider myself a decent rider as I've put a ton of km on my bikes in 4 years but still, there is a lot of weird stuff they expect to pass.

Is it true Conestoga college is losing its motorcycle course? That is surprising but looking for the course now I saw a RFD article about it....? Person could just be wrong because I saw no source.

Is it true Conestoga college is losing its motorcycle course? That is surprising but looking for the course now I saw a RFD article about it....? Person could just be wrong because I saw no source.

Correct. Conestoga College has closed down the motorcycle course. One lot needed repaving, and the other was used to park the necessary equipment. Full-Time Students complained they didn't have parking, and that over-rides the motorcycle course.

Only school in Kitchener-Waterloo now is Learning Curves. They're looking for a larger lot right now (surprisingly hard to do actually) - their current one is at Northfield and Parkside, but can only accomodate 15 students.

I need to get mine by 2021 so I am feeling the pressure. A lot of people say how strict the MTO test is so I've always leaned towards the course but it's obviously a lot more money. I consider myself a decent rider as I've put a ton of km on my bikes in 4 years but still, there is a lot of weird stuff they expect to pass.

I could help you out to pass the M2X course.
P.m. me if interested.

It's not that hard or weird. I did my course with the MTO and I have only been riding for 2.5 years. If you are a good rider, ride defenesely, and pay attention to what you are doing you should be fine. There is another thread on here as to what the instructors are looking for, and a sample of the test sheet with how they mark you.
Anyhow I feel much better it is out of the way. (y)

It's not that hard or weird. I did my course with the MTO and I have only been riding for 2.5 years. If you are a good rider, ride defenesely, and pay attention to what you are doing you should be fine. There is another thread on here as to what the instructors are looking for, and a sample of the test sheet with how they mark you.
Anyhow I feel much better it is out of the way. (y)

Thanks, I'll have to find that post. That's mostly what I mean. The small things they look for that could fail me, that might not be in my habits when I ride. So far I have gathered I should exaggerate head movements. I know I can easily do the fundamentals.

So far I have gathered I should exaggerate head movements. I know I can easily do the fundamentals.

Here's a quick synopsis of what they're looking for:
Head movement to ensure you're looking at stuff all around you and not target fixating - yes, exaggerate movement, and if you have a solid coloured helmet, put a stripe or sticker on the back so that it's easy to see your head turning.

Make sure you also check your mirrors regularly - like every 8 seconds or so, again, making it obvious.

Proper lane positioning is key.

When changing lanes make sure you do the entire sequence. Mirror check, signal, mirror, shoulder, change lanes. They will always add in a "When it is safe to do so" when giving you instructions on lane changes.

Stop *BEFORE* the stop bar, NOT on or past it.

Read up on the entire emergency pull over sequence in your MTO book.

When on the ramps, follow the yellow posted limits. Accelerate smoothly and merge with traffic AT HIGHWAY SPEED. If a vehicle has to apply the brakes when you merge in, it's an automatic fail as you have performed an unsafe act.

And, be certain your bike is in proper operating condition - a surprising number (close to 15% actually) of people get bounced right off the hop. Make sure your blinkers and tail lights etc all work correctly. No leaking fluids including fork seals. The tester will give your bike a quick once over before you ever start it.

Back
Top Bottom