M2 expiry questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 expiry questions

dshishir42

Hey everyone, I got my M2 on July, 2016 (M1 on May 2016). I am wondering if the license expires on July 2020, or if it expires on July 2021? I am gonna get my M this summer, am just wondering if I should do it early April or late August.

I think you have 5 years from the time you get your M1 to get your Full M. So in your case that would be 2021.

I am pretty sure I am right but allow others to chime in just in case.

My vote would be to do the test in May 2020. The weather seems nicer around then, but you could check the almanac.

Last edited:
July 2021, and the earlier the better In case you fail and have more time to rebook, you need to wait like 3-5? Days before you can enroll for the m test again.

I got my m1 back in early Sept 2012, went for m test in early sept 2017 and failed first one, was lucky I had a week left til actual expiry, and passed. Would've been troublesome if I failed the 2nd try and start from m1 all over again

July 2021, and the earlier the better In case you fail and have more time to rebook, you need to wait like 3-5? Days before you can enroll for the m test again.

I got my m1 back in early Sept 2012, went for m test in early sept 2017 and failed first one, was lucky I had a week left til actual expiry, and passed. Would've been troublesome if I failed the 2nd try and start from m1 all over again

I've heard from people there are extensions in situations like this

I've heard from people there are extensions in situations like this
Normally, of you have a test booked they give you an extension to the day of the test. It adds a lot of pressure to your test though.

If you have a lot of pressure to do the simple testing, then you just ain’t ready to be set free!

I would say do it sooner than later, mainly because the pass rate is not as high as you might hope. Shake the winter rust off, familiarize yourself with the local roads and even routes around the DriveTest center where you plan to take the test. On the off chance you have to repeat, you have a time margin.

Your other option is to schedule an school test, most riding schools have exit courses that they deliver, you get the added value of a pro refresher, and an advanced look at your skills and bad habits (if any). Costs a few extra bucks, but think about the value of the instruction -- you only live once.

I would say do it sooner than later, mainly because the pass rate is not as high as you might hope. Shake the winter rust off, familiarize yourself with the local roads and even routes around the DriveTest center where you plan to take the test. On the off chance you have to repeat, you have a time margin.

Your other option is to schedule an school test, most riding schools have exit courses that they deliver, you get the added value of a pro refresher, and an advanced look at your skills and bad habits (if any). Costs a few extra bucks, but think about the value of the instruction -- you only live once.
Agreed. My wife went to Georgian College for her M2 exit course. She was on a new to her bike much bigger than her last one. The confidence in her riding was night and day difference before and after that course.
She already knew what she was doing but running all the drills on her new bike got her very comfortable quite fast.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

This can also be a path to a part time job if you want. Schools are often looking for instructors. If you are reasonably competent and not an ass they may ask you to apply.

Just beware of some schools. I was approached by one school to teach (a big one), when I went to their orientation it turns out for the privileged of being one of their teachers you need to invest $400 into classes AND work for free for several weekends. After that you can tie up a min of 6 summer weekends to make a little more than minimum wage.

Just beware of some schools. I was approached by one school to teach (a big one), when I went to their orientation it turns out for the privileged of being one of their teachers you need to invest $400 into classes AND work for free for several weekends. After that you can tie up a min of 6 summer weekends to make a little more than minimum wage.

Most schools will ask you to do 3 weekends for free. Why? To see if you're sympatico with what and how they teach. Some places are much more "I am instructor, you are pathetic student" military attitude whilst others are more "hey bud, we're your friend and we're gonna help you achieve your dream of riding."
So, it all depends on what you're looking for as well - if you don't care so much about the cash, which is low, but you want to help people get that passion for bikes, it's great.

Most schools will ask you to do 3 weekends for free. Why? To see if you're sympatico with what and how they teach. Some places are much more "I am instructor, you are pathetic student" military attitude whilst others are more "hey bud, we're your friend and we're gonna help you achieve your dream of riding."
So, it all depends on what you're looking for as well - if you don't care so much about the cash, which is low, but you want to help people get that passion for bikes, it's great.
I realize MC instruction isn't a cash cow business, I don't care about the cash -- but I'm not a public service for a for-profit business.

If I could figure out how to get MOT approved to deliver M1 and M2 exit tests as an independent -- I'd do it for free.

Thanks guys! I am not gonna rush it, looks like it expires on 2021. I am gonna get it by the end of this summer. I got a new ride, so gonna practice on it a bit before heading for that test. Might consider M2 exit test with some schools too.

The mto exit test was super strict with lane positions, even though at some parts I felt my experience says otherwise. Super wide lane on a two way, I was positioned maybe between left tire track and centre (my Lane could seriously fit 2 cars), but he claims I was too much in the 'middle' ? second try practically hugged the yellow middle and that was 'good', even a tailgater almost passed me on the inside. ?

The mto exit test was super strict with lane positions, even though at some parts I felt my experience says otherwise. Super wide lane on a two way, I was positioned maybe between left tire track and centre (my Lane could seriously fit 2 cars), but he claims I was too much in the 'middle' ? second try practically hugged the yellow middle and that was 'good', even a tailgater almost passed me on the inside. ?
Well that's just dumb, the entire lane is yours and you are allowed to use any part of it you need to, could have been a dozen reasons why you chose that part to ride on and you found one of them on your second run.

just saying. If you want to book your M2 exit in may, Good luck. booking opens on May 1st, or something like that. make sure you go online and book it at 12:01am on may 1st. i tried booking at 4am, it was all booked already.

otherwise you might need to go with the m2 exit courses.

Well that's just dumb, the entire lane is yours and you are allowed to use any part of it you need to, could have been a dozen reasons why you chose that part to ride on and you found one of them on your second run.
MTO testing has always been dumb and based very little on actual safe and aware motoring. Changing gears in an intersection in a standard car is worth a point every time. Having a standard car in neutral is worth a point every time. While slowing down, you need to downshift into every gear (including first) or you get a point. Driving the way you are required to on the test is idiotic and dangerous (not to mention bad for the vehicle).

I would recommend doing the testing through a school (I did it through RTI).
I think its very difficult to fail if you do it through a school vs doing it on your own at the ministry.

@Trials yup.. they claimed that lane position as left tire track is mandatory, whereas I felt being a bit slightly towards left tire/mid to block behind me was more important. But unfortunately not what they wanted to 'see'.

Glad it's over with and never again. In reality though, being fully on a left tire track on the right lane (or right track on left lane) is so scary cause cars just pull out without looking. As defensive as I can be, watching car movements etc.. I find myself safer being on the middle or even outside tire tracks most of the time.. Maybe that's just me

Back
Top Bottom