M2 | Age 28 | Ottawa Residence | First Bike advise | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 | Age 28 | Ottawa Residence | First Bike advise

jony9999

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this group and also a new motorcycle rider :)
I will get my M2 in March 2023. My primary use of a motorcycle is to have some small trips within Ottawa and 1 or 2 trips per year to GTA.
I have shortlisted a few used motorcycles based on reading previous posts:

Ninja 400 or 300
Yamaha R3
Rebel 300 or 500
Kawasaki Z400
Yamaha MT-03

I am OK picking either the sports version or cruiser or naked. However, I am not interested in dirt bike models.

My main question is, based on your experience, what motorcycle will have the cheapest insurance out of the above options? I would be glad if you have other opinions/models that I am missing out on.

P.S: I have contacted the companies/brokers but they are reluctant in giving me a quote because I do not owe a license currently.

Please advise :)

Welcome and congrats!

All those bikes should be fairly similar in pricing as a lot of insurance companies basically charge by the engine size in that class.

Give them a call once you get your M2 and expect to pay 2-3k/year depending on your current record.

I started on a 125 for $650/year and now my CB500XA costs $750/year.

Consider the other 500cc variants from Honda. Not overly exciting, but very good for new and experienced riders.

@mimico_polak Thank you for leaving your comment! A quick question, is 125 cc enough on highway rides from GTA to Ottawa? Please advise.
It is and it isn't. I had the 125 and it worked fairly well for me on the highway up to 125km/h INDICATED (so approx 110-115).

I was around 150lbs at the time, and it was ... OK. But my CBR250R was much better and I enjoyed that bike for many years.

if costs is an issue (because you asked about insurance cost) consider older used rides for your first bike as you learn. youll need more confidence, and the pride shouldn't drop too much when you inevitably drop it (we all have, dont sweat it). also 125cc is never too small for a sane rider, they are a hoot as you'll likely see on your m2 course (the community really hopes you are doing that).

welcome

@deejizzle Thank you for your valuable comments :) Would you mind if I ask if you have any preference for 125cc models? Any particular model that you suggest? Please advise.

if costs is an issue (because you asked about insurance cost) consider older used rides for your first bike as you learn. youll need more confidence, and the pride shouldn't drop too much when you inevitably drop it (we all have, dont sweat it). also 125cc is never too small for a sane rider, they are a hoot as you'll likely see on your m2 course (the community really hopes you are doing that).

welcome
Agreed with @deejizzle .
Buy used for your first bike. Entry level bikes are always in demand.
You can ride it for a year or two and then when you sell it, you will pretty much get what you paid. Also the inevitable parking lot tip over won't sting quite so much.
On a new bike, you will take a much bigger deprecation hit.

@Soulcatcher668 Thank you for your valuable comment :) Would you mind if you suggest any particular model as I am very new to the bike experience with almost zero knowledge of motorcycles. Please advise.

@deejizzle Thank you for your valuable comments :) Would you mind if I ask if you have any preference for 125cc models? Any particular model that you suggest? Please advise.
I lean people towards 250/300 if they want to do much highway as it is a far more enjoyable experience than laying on the tank and hoping you don't get run over.

As for 125's. Honda has a few flavors depending on your style preference. CB*125. CBR is sport looking, CBF is standard looking (think 80's bikes), probably a few more.

Another vote for used as a first bike. Tons of upside, very little downside.

As for cheapest to insure within a size class, don't expect huge variations at this level. In faster bikes, sometimes you can find a similar bike that avoids a blacklist (and associated crazy insurance) but afaik, little bikes aren't on any blacklists. I would expect most bikes in your list would be close on insurance (but the only way to know for sure is to call and get quotes. Online quotes are almost completely useless).

You're doing the right steps with research and smart bike choices prior to jumping in. Good luck and have fun.

I lean people towards 250/300 if they want to do much highway as it is a far more enjoyable experience than laying on the tank and hoping you don't get run over.

As for 125's. Honda has a few flavors depending on your style preference. CB*125. CBR is sport looking, CBF is standard looking (think 80's bikes), probably a few more.

Another vote for used as a first bike. Tons of upside, very little downside.

As for cheapest to insure within a size class, don't expect huge variations at this level. In faster bikes, sometimes you can find a similar bike that avoids a blacklist (and associated crazy insurance) but afaik, little bikes aren't on any blacklists. I would expect most bikes in your list would be close on insurance (but the only way to know for sure is to call and get quotes. Online quotes are almost completely useless).

You're doing the right steps with research and smart bike choices prior to jumping in. Good luck and have fun.
What a great group. Thank you for your comments!! :)

@Soulcatcher668 Thank you for your valuable comment :) Would you mind if you suggest any particular model as I am very new to the bike experience with almost zero knowledge of motorcycles. Please advise.
There is no magic bike. You are looking in the right class of bike, 300cc and under.
You really need to go out and sit on a few. What gets your blood pumping?
Try to narrow it down to 3 bikes that you feel like you would ride, then start calling insurance companies.

You will find no rhyme or reason to insurance prices, every company will be different for the same bike. Call as many as you can and brokers.
To put it into context.
I was looking at a Ducati monster 796. I was quoted 4500.00 a year, so I gave up on that bike.
Later I was talking to another insurance company and they came in quite low on another bike so I asked them to quote the 796. 1500 a year.

There is no magic bike. You are looking in the right class of bike, 300cc and under.
You really need to go out and sit on a few. What gets your blood pumping?
Try to narrow it down to 3 bikes that you feel like you would ride, then start calling insurance companies.

You will find no rhyme or reason to insurance prices, every company will be different for the same bike. Call as many as you can and brokers.
To put it into context.
I was looking at a Ducati monster 796. I was quoted 4500.00 a year, so I gave up on that bike.
Later I was talking to another insurance company and they came in quite low on another bike so I asked them to quote the 796. 1500 a year.
Yes, I agree with you. I will focus on <300cc and narrow down my search up to max 3 models. Thank you, Boss!

I would call for a quote and just lie. Say yes I have my bike license (they won't check just for a quote).
Get firm prices and then make the move.

And yes start with a used bike.

@mimico_polak Thank you for leaving your comment! A quick question, is 125 cc enough on highway rides from GTA to Ottawa? Please advise.

I started on a 250 Ninja. These small bikes can go on the highway but it's not enjoyable. When you take your trips to the GTA I would plan your trip to avoid highways as much as possible. It will be more fun anyway. I feel safer in traffic when I have the option to accelerate out of trouble quickly which you can't on a 125 on the highway. Even 250s with a higher top speed will still be gutless as far as acceleration goes on the highway.

What a great group. Thank you for your comments!! :)

ill be the devils advocate and say even up to a used 500 is fine as you are hopefully a mature rider. there are lots to choose from, relatively cheap as chips. from my experience, id say look at a second gen of any of the following (basically 1994ish and newer) - ninja 250, 300, 500, suzuki gs500 used to be the staples a few years back. there are also cruiser, naked, and dirt equivalents if thats what tickles your fancy. cbr 125, 250, 300s, ninja 300s, tu250 are a tad newer as well as ninja 400 (didnt make these very long) will get you EFI. you could also join the grom squad if you wished. anything like r3 or post 2017ish entry level bikes, people will want close to MSRP (when new) or very little depreciation which makes no sense. the world is your oyster - get your butt (and hands) on any and everything to figure out where you stand. ive been partial to sport touring for its utility but sexiness - but then i also end up looking like a boring mid life crisis accountant. still works for me.

if i can part any further advice.. its to find a reliable bike, and not some kind of imported late 80s JDM 250cc race spec series motorcycle......... at least thats what my friend told me............you want to be riding and gaining experience on the road, not wrenching ;)

ill be the devils advocate and say even up to a used 500 is fine as you are hopefully a mature rider. there are lots to choose from, relatively cheap as chips. from my experience, id say look at a second gen of any of the following (basically 1994ish and newer) - ninja 250, 300, 500, suzuki gs500 used to be the staples a few years back. there are also cruiser, naked, and dirt equivalents if thats what tickles your fancy. cbr 125, 250, 300s, ninja 300s, tu250 are a tad newer as well as ninja 400 (didnt make these very long) will get you EFI. you could also join the grom squad if you wished. anything like r3 or post 2017ish entry level bikes, people will want close to MSRP (when new) or very little depreciation which makes no sense. the world is your oyster - get your butt (and hands) on any and everything to figure out where you stand. ive been partial to sport touring for its utility but sexiness - but then i also end up looking like a boring mid life crisis accountant. still works for me.

if i can part any further advice.. its to find a reliable bike, and not some kind of imported late 80s JDM 250cc race spec series motorcycle......... at least thats what my friend told me............you want to be riding and gaining experience on the road, not wrenching ;)
I wouldn't consider a grom if you wants to do ottawa-toronto often. It is far lower power than the CBx125's (8 hp in grom, 12hp in CB).

I lean people towards 250/300 if they want to do much highway as it is a far more enjoyable experience
I 100% agree with this statement. Many bike even up to 600cc are (can be) very tame and enjoyable.

Don't do a 600. You'll pay through the nose. I'd sit on them and look for comfort over what gets your blood pumping.

As for 250-300 vs 500, your weight might come into consideration. I started on a 250 and found it a little sluggish after a couple of years.
A friend rode hers across the country, but she weight half what I weigh. If you're tall or short, you will have to take that fact into account.

The smaller bikes are a little easier to park. I find standard bikes with wider slightly raised bars easier to maneuver at slow speeds. I dislike forward controls and clip on handlebars. Other people have different preferences. It's good to find your own early.

Ottawa Safety Council, Road Safety Association of Ontario, Rider Training Institute and other teaching groups have started registration in Ottawa. It's around $500 for a course now, which includes use of a motorcycle. If you've never been on a motorcycle before, you might consider taking an intro course first, as it will give some practice on the friction zone and releasing the clutch to get moving.

If you pass a course on a school's bike, you can then go to the insurance companies with an M2 and a certificate, towards insuring your own bike.

edit: As far as Ottawa to Toronto, I tend to either take the number 7 down, or a more adventurous route, mostly north of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom