M2 | Age 28 | Ottawa Residence | First Bike advise | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 | Age 28 | Ottawa Residence | First Bike advise

Welcome to GTAM!

I'll concur with what everyone else is saying and it seems like you have realistic views on what you want and need for your first bike. Don't get sucked into people ribbing you about "that's a tiny engine" or "you'll get bored of that bike in 2 weeks!" song and dance. A lot of new and inexperienced riders won't even use the full capabilities of a small CC bike in their first year or two of riding - the newbies who start on 600CC supersports aren't remotely capable of using them to their full abilities, as is demonstrated by them getting destroyed at track days by experienced riders on bikes with half their power.

Also keep in mind that the difference between a sportbike 250cc engine and a cruiser 250cc engine can be almost double the horsepower - Ninja 250 for example, 39HP. Vstar 250, 21HP. So depending on what style you go with should have some factor in the engine size you want. My wife started on a 250 cruiser and yes, it will do 100, but you're wound out, so I'd consider entry level something in the 600cc range if you go full on V-Twin cruiser - they do fine on the highway but are still light and nimble for in town and backroads cruising. For a sportbike the 250 class is easier to insure for sure and still decently capable.

Dam I wish I was paying that much in insurance.... :( mine is double that...

You need to shop around. I'm paying under $500/year for full coverage now. Yes, I've been riding forever etc etc, but it still sounds like you're getting hosed. You've been riding for 4-5 years now, no?

I am pretty sure nobody cares about my previous experience (including driving test centers and insurance companies in Canada). I do not want to criticize any specific person/entity but sometimes I feel that a lot of rules and regulation here in Canada does not make any sense.

Unfortunately foreign experience doesn't count in much at all here in Canada as it's difficult if not impossible to verify.

Welcome to GTAM!

I'll concur with what everyone else is saying and it seems like you have realistic views on what you want and need for your first bike. Don't get sucked into people ribbing you about "that's a tiny engine" or "you'll get bored of that bike in 2 weeks!" song and dance. A lot of new and inexperienced riders won't even use the full capabilities of a small CC bike in their first year or two of riding - the newbies who start on 600CC supersports aren't remotely capable of using them to their full abilities, as is demonstrated by them getting destroyed at track days by experienced riders on bikes with half their power.

Also keep in mind that the difference between a sportbike 250cc engine and a cruiser 250cc engine can be almost double the horsepower - Ninja 250 for example, 39HP. Vstar 250, 21HP. So depending on what style you go with should have some factor in the engine size you want. My wife started on a 250 cruiser and yes, it will do 100, but you're wound out, so I'd consider entry level something in the 600cc range if you go full on V-Twin cruiser - they do fine on the highway but are still light and nimble for in town and backroads cruising. For a sportbike the 250 class is easier to insure for sure and still decently capable.

You need to shop around. I'm paying under $500/year for full coverage now. Yes, I've been riding forever etc etc, but it still sounds like you're getting hosed. You've been riding for 4-5 years now, no?

Unfortunately foreign experience doesn't count in much at all here in Canada as it's difficult if not impossible to verify.
Thanks! That's some great information! I may need a piece of advice. After I get M2, should I wait for a year or 2 and then buy a used motorcycle? Will it reduce the insurance by any chance? Or should I buy the motorcycle right after I get M2? I am in no rush to buy the motorcycle (precisely noticing the impact of inflation and the oncoming recession)

Please share your opinion :)

Thanks! That's some great information! I may need a piece of advice. After I get M2, should I wait for a year or 2 and then buy a used motorcycle? Will it reduce the insurance by any chance? Or should I buy the motorcycle right after I get M2? I am in no rush to buy the motorcycle (precisely noticing the impact of inflation and the oncoming recession)

Unless you have a bike insured, insurance wont drop much as you arent building history, you are just getting older. At your age, dont expect a big improvement by getting older.

I would buy a smallish used bike (400 and below) asap. If money doesnt allow that now, that's fine but I wouldn't spend the money on the course until I had enough to buy a bike and gear too.

What ghost said above, simply having your license doesn’t count for anything at all here, you must actually own a motorcycle and have it actively insured.

i always tell my students to buy something asap and get the insurance history going. If you aren't in a position to ride for awhile, buy something cheap that doesn't even work (scooter/grom), throw it in a corner, insure it and forget about it.

i always tell my students to buy something asap and get the insurance history going. If you aren't in a position to ride for awhile, buy something cheap that doesn't even work (scooter/grom), throw it in a corner, insure it and forget about it.
Thats a deep thought man! I love it. I may do the same I guess.

I'm gonna go with an obviously biased choice and say go for an RC390 since its costing me peanuts in ownership costs. Its still fun as hell to ride after 2 years of owning it and I've learned a fair amount tinkering with it. Plus it just looks cool. New one is the ewww one

I'm gonna go with an obviously biased choice and say go for an RC390 since its costing me peanuts in ownership costs. Its still fun as hell to ride after 2 years of owning it and I've learned a fair amount tinkering with it. Plus it just looks cool. New one is the ewww one
How much are you paying for your insurance? Just curious to know...

How much are you paying for your insurance? Just curious to know...
I pay a couple cents under 50 bucks a month. I've had my licence since 2015, did the M1/M2 exit courses and been street legal for about 2 years. TD insurance bundled with my house and car so there's an extra discount.
The RC390 is my first personal motorcycle that I bought. Cheap to buy new, had ABS, has a unique look and its zippy. I don't see myself selling it anytime soon and if I do want that stupid kind of speed, my dad has a Tuono I can steal for a weekend (totally unnecessary kind of speed. Like woah man, you're 62, chill for once in your life).

Back
Top Bottom