Lowering a Pickup | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lowering a Pickup

Make the solution complex enough and the passenger says "Don't bother, I'll stay home."

Have you spoken to the handicap organizations for suggestions?
She is seeing a neuro physiotherapist right now. Seems to be helping a bit.
We found a clinic in a London hospital that is doing research on spinal implants. Trying to get on the waiting list. Everything that has been helpful has been done by us. Ontario health care is useless.

She is seeing a neuro physiotherapist right now. Seems to be helping a bit.
We found a clinic in a London hospital that is doing research on spinal implants. Trying to get on the waiting list. Everything that has been helpful has been done by us. Ontario health care is useless.
She has parkinsons too? Damn. Levadopa is a tricky bastard.

Best of luck with the study, hopefully you can find some things that help.

Thank you for the link - this is good to know.

She has parkinsons too? Damn. Levadopa is a tricky bastard.

Best of luck with the study, hopefully you can find some things that help.
She has parkinsonism. It's a result of the bleeds on her brain that happened when she's fell in the garage.

Toyota trucks for a long time (decades) had "low suspension" and "high suspension" versions. The basic 2 wheel drive trucks had the "low suspension", and the 4x4s had the "high suspension". Then came the PreRunner which was 2 wheel drive with the high suspension (looked like 4x4 even though it wasn't). And then they stopped selling the "low suspension" (contractor-special cheap little truck) completely. There is a BIG difference in height between the two.

I can tell by the picture that yours is the "high suspension" version. What I don't know, is whether it's a PreRunner, or a 2 wheel drive after they stopped selling the "low suspension" version, or an actual 4x4.

The frame that everything bolts to, is the same regardless, which means the "low suspension" will bolt up to the frame. But I don't think it will work with the front drive axle if it is a 4x4.

Toyota trucks for a long time (decades) had "low suspension" and "high suspension" versions. The basic 2 wheel drive trucks had the "low suspension", and the 4x4s had the "high suspension". Then came the PreRunner which was 2 wheel drive with the high suspension (looked like 4x4 even though it wasn't). And then they stopped selling the "low suspension" (contractor-special cheap little truck) completely. There is a BIG difference in height between the two.

I can tell by the picture that yours is the "high suspension" version. What I don't know, is whether it's a PreRunner, or a 2 wheel drive after they stopped selling the "low suspension" version, or an actual 4x4.

The frame that everything bolts to, is the same regardless, which means the "low suspension" will bolt up to the frame. But I don't think it will work with the front drive axle if it is a 4x4.
He has a 4x4

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

If you want to keep the truck AMP Research Powerstep running boards might fit the bill. I think Horst's son is in charge there now. They're not cheap, but they're well rated. I've seen them on Amazon in the $1,800ish range.

Or, I can ask my BiL if he'd be interested in selling his Silverado. Low enough to step right into. ;)
wyJdcwBb0g4_3v_ldTnxfU_1ppSNSzu1gA2X4ZpWhGJcUwyCvvVP0flw3Oycr7lNo3cmBIwJV41nfezVlIbuyw3Wf0b6iiw2LkvaLJoDbEgERUFuf4NQqCBLlaXd1MomLT0zb15djxH01O_rSzTYkG9FJPd0obl0_-rAuNz_EiqPepBs3qimd1hR7I-FTtztaHCBzgv5NkTdYnLNOZInssz-f3ots99luBoWy3mDdmI5NkpxX58y2ogtV-Ym6oKkh9XMCIGCmdcxOd7J3px1Y_6PcSVToQz6GNcw14-8sCGUdycA96zVk5g4O9AhySgQYMZ6WP-ZQjx9W1qZ8l6U_gtUQir5jRUilfZd4rT75nt8hIGz7qrmqR2U1YDvJJ7mhVYMsPVLgc7hexzHTemUibfDAGNbInAPf7_5PWwq0g2qx3-gFp4aWLSBxukp8vLP8KNVWW16JwBQBnrPPDLM8uAgZlMv8g9JNogMWU_0KlM4HkWRMxt_0zlvQU8vgERToKzpcx681U8UJRN1RVg2BqGNNLqsWaoLXmwxSrykYnBGCNy4t2aW0WhiS8zSRG-MVjRyw02EJf44bEDU_J_AVfCfl9imHIB7fqMFAd8Awi9vxJKCM8lkt36ET4v91N12W49YfLy4qJPLBafXfDN0vmmnwsbFtCELk67yJ8Etba5l4JYE8LicDpxS_8mM=w1404-h937-no

That is lovely fmj.

I have a santa fe, have family that love the grab bars and sliding in. Buddy of mine had the smaller version for his needs, a Tuscan. In the back he had even installed a pull sys for help with groc etc.

Thought I'd leave this link(s) here as I was searching for a solution for someone earlier this morning:

Turny Evo Swivel Seat for Car, Truck, & SUV | BraunAbility
Transfer Seat Vehicle Compatibility | BraunAbility

Didn't see Tacoma on the list but figured it may be worth a shot to see if they are able to retrofit it on that platform as well.
Apparently they have quite a few dealerships here in ON that can help with this as well...only drawback is the motorized swivel chair system costs around 10k usd iirc.

Thought I'd leave this link(s) here as I was searching for a solution for someone earlier this morning:

Turny Evo Swivel Seat for Car, Truck, & SUV | BraunAbility
Transfer Seat Vehicle Compatibility | BraunAbility

Didn't see Tacoma on the list but figured it may be worth a shot to see if they are able to retrofit it on that platform as well.
Apparently they have quite a few dealerships here in ON that can help with this as well...only drawback is the motorized swivel chair system costs around 10k usd iirc.
Thanks.

Would some kind of ramp that you could hook onto the n-fab steps, and throw in the back after, work better?

Would some kind of ramp that you could hook onto the n-fab steps, and throw in the back after, work better?
Good idea. But i would have to drug her to show that.

Anything with a step scares the crap out of her. Her mobility is limited to shuffling her feet while we hold each other's elbows. She can move her right leg ok, but i have to tip her to her right to get the left leg to swing forward.
The electric wheelchair i bought her works really well. Folds up and goes into the trunk of the Civic very easily. But she hates the "stigma" that goes with it.
The truck has to go. I can get her outside using the elevator i had installed in the garage. But other than dr or dentist, she won't go anywhere. The only problem with the civic is the low roof.
It's been a journey!

I cant even begin to imagine.

Convertible? t-bar?

Anything with a step scares the crap out of her. Her mobility is limited to shuffling her feet while we hold each other's elbows. She can move her right leg ok, but i have to tip her to her right to get the left leg to swing forward.
The electric wheelchair i bought her works really well. Folds up and goes into the trunk of the Civic very easily. But she hates the "stigma" that goes with it.
The truck has to go. I can get her outside using the elevator i had installed in the garage. But other than dr or dentist, she won't go anywhere. The only problem with the civic is the low roof.
It's been a journey!
You have a double whammy. There is the physical problem and on top of that the feeling of stigma.

An aunt lost her sight due to diabetes and never wanted to go out because she felt people were looking at her with pity.

There are all kinds of simple solutions but this isn't a simple problem and experimenting is very expensive. You need an aid that doesn't look like one. I often wonder if the cars of the 1940's were more people oriented.

Back
Top Bottom