Love a good barn find... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Love a good barn find...

Mid 80's my girl friend's sister let me drive her 1975 Corvette Indy 500 Pace car. My god what a POS.

Friend of a friend's dad had (has?) a Grand National or GNX, can't remember which, over twenty years ago. If I remember the story right, he bought it as an investment, or just to have it cause he could. Drove it home and it never moved after, still had the plastic on the seats from transport.

A good friend of mine ordered a GN from a GM Dealer spec’d exactly how he wanted it. Loaded with every available option including the moon roof instead of the T-Tops.

I got to drive it and it was fast and it was comfortable. He drove it daily for a few years and offered to sell it to me for $20k about 10 year ago. One owner car with around 120k on the clock.

My nostalgia for it was strong but, another friend pointed out that it really hadn’t aged well. Typical GM things like loose trim, wear and tear on the interior and under the hood, sagging door hinges.

It’s true condition was a 6 or 7 out of 10 and $20k was just too high for a late 80s car that needed work to bring back to it’s former glory and passed.

I’d rather a C5 or newer Vette with a manual. It wouldn’t be as special but, I think it would be more engaging to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guy i worked with about 20yrs ago had one.

Fully built motor, massive turbo, all the go fast bits.

On C16, and full boost it was around 780hp and ran high 8's, low 9's in the 1/4.

It was also his summer daily driver and was a full weight car with full interior.
It was a monster.

Buick agreed to team up with McLaren Engines at the 1985 Indy 500 in order to produce the 1987 Grand National GNX. This Buick featured an upgraded chassis to support the GNX's superior performance and also came with a top speed of 124 mph

I did not know that they teamed with Mclaren. wonder to what degree Mclaren was involved

I remember picking up a barn cat many years ago. Only did it once.

I remember picking up a barn cat many years ago. Only did it once.
he wasn't really a barn cat, they said he just showed up and was hanging out with the rabbits, he was only 5wks old the vet said when we had him checked out. i would call him a true survivor

he is a Russian bluethumbnail_IMG_0009 christmas2.jpg

Last edited:
I came up with a boat house find a while back. While at a friend's cottage he mentioned a boat for sale down the lane. We had to shovel dirt from in front of the garage to open the doors. Twenty years earlier the owner bought the boat, a Peterborough cedar strip, because he had a cottage on a island. Then he bought a land access cottage and put the boat in the garage and forgot about it.

Basically it needed a coat of varnish and fresh gas. He also gave me the battery that he had kept as well. It got replaced.

he wasn't really a barn cat, they said he just showed up and was hanging out with the rabbits, he was only 5wks old the vet said when we had him checked out. i would call him a true survivor

he is a Russian blueView attachment 46354
nice! mine is a russian blue mix.

Screenshot_20201223-073722_One UI Home.jpg

A buddy used to rally race a Omni GLH, the intercooled turbo 2.5L breathed on by Carrol Shelby K car.
IT WAS GREAT (GLH = Goes like Hell REALLY).
...but you needed a welder to put the car back together on pit stops. The body just tore itself apart. It went on the frame rack after every race, trying to stretch it back into the correct shape to keep the wheels pointed down the road.
Other than that the car was great. I don't think it lasted the season.
Direct Connection, Mopar race parts, sold all kinds of "go fast" stuff for the K car. There was a Baja kit for a K car. Think about that for a minute.

GM made a S10 4WD 6 cyl. pickup (Cyclone maybe?) that was faster than a 'vette in the '80s. It wasn't that hard to beat a '80s 'Vette.
I had an Omni GLH too, was my mom's car. Would have loved the Shelby version.

I drove one of those pitiful SRT4 Neons -- another snotty little car that costs almost nothing.

it was the entire K car platform that saved Chrylser
The K car was slow, but the S car moved at a snail's pace...you should have seen the S-car-go

I'll see myself out

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The K car was slow, but the S car moved at a snail's pace...you should have seen the S-car-go

I'll see myself out

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
'bout 10yrs ago, I pulled up to a red light (busa). Beside me, Dodge Aires with 5 teenage fellas.
One says: "nice bike, wanna race?"
Me: "sure".
Light goes green. We leave (at a 0-60 pace of 45 seconds). I did all I could to let them lead and win by a fender.
Next light is red.
They were so excited. Hoot'n & hollerin, likely never forgot it......needed to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom