Love a good barn find... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Love a good barn find...

That's pretty amazing, that was a very special car in its time. Aquaintance in Campbellville owns one, it was his daily driver for 10yrs before it was parked in his garage. They are around.

there was an old lady in streetsville that had one, she drove it yr round. it was rusted out but still a GN

One of my dad's friends had one. I went for a spin in it when I was ~10. Interesting guy. He had a shotgun rack in the trunk. That was also the first and last time I fired a 44 Magnum. Frig, that thing had more kick than the car.

A friend worked for a GM dealership and saw the sales manager take one out for a spin. He booted it turning onto the street and learned about turbo lag. Yeah it was a spin.

A friend worked for a GM dealership and saw the sales manager take one out for a spin. He booted it turning onto the street and learned about turbo lag. Yeah it was a spin.
Maybe that's why buick got out of muscle cars. They wanted all the videos of cars going backwards into a crowd to be mustangs.

What do you do with a vintage car / bike with virtually no miles on it?

1) Put it in a museum as a survivor vehicle?

2) Drive it and as the miles go up the value goes down. I'm sure there are many low mileage GN's. When the one with 56 miles on it accumulates many more miles all the owner has is bragging rights to is getting it with 56 miles on it. A one owner could brag that his came with 1-2 miles on it.

There is a boat museum that has a 1950's BNIB outboard motor and the box has never been opened. You get to look at the box.

Last edited:
I also liked the buick T-type, it was very similar to the GN but less money

Maybe that's why buick got out of muscle cars.
IIRC the reason GM killed this car was it was faster than the Corvette.
There is an un-written rule at GM: DON"T MAKE A CAR FASTER THAN THE CORVETTE... and Buick's target audience is NOT the GN's target audience. There is a Youtube video about this car.
Did you know that Buicks are quite popular in China? There is a Buick plant in China and they sell as many Buicks in China as they sell in the rest of the world.
What do you do with a vintage car / bike with virtually no miles on it?
I inherited a '84 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham with 32,xxx kms, all original. Mint shape, even has the F41 suspension pack, just like a GN.
I drive it. It's a car.

I don't know why people get excited about old G bodys. They weren't that great, almost BAD.
No power, even with the inter cooled turbo 6 and lousy mileage
The brakes SUCK LARGE. 8.5" disks and drums on the rear
There are very few cars that bump steer as bad as a G body
The steering box is like 27 turns lock to lock, even with the upgraded "sport" box
They screwed up the frame and they ALL rust out right behind the rear wheels on the dog leg. It's funny watching a tow truck guy tear the back of the car off trying to tow it.
They weigh north of 4500#
They have 195/75-14 tires stock.
... and they're in no way rare. G bodys set sales records. They sold 244,000 1984 Cutlass Supremes... almost all black.
In Canada, your G body was built in St. Therese PQ, GM's worst plant for labour unrest, till it was closed.
My car has a turbo hydramatic 350C transmission. I had never heard of a "C" before. Nor had anyone else I talked to, even tranny guys. Seems a T350"C" was GM's first "lock up" trans. It doesn't work. PIA

If you have a G body, get in touch. I can fix it.
I install 12" disks with metric calipers and use axle spindles and upper control arms off a Buick Roadmaster wagon which moves the upper control arm pivot in-board about an inch, which aligns the tie rods to the control arm, virtually eliminating bump steer.
Add a BIG sway bar with custom hold down kit, decent shocks and it stops and steers as well as a modern car.

GM also killed the firehawk when it first appeared, It was faster than the Vet then they came back with a tuned down version

IIRC the reason GM killed this car was it was faster than the Corvette.
There is an un-written rule at GM: DON"T MAKE A CAR FASTER THAN THE CORVETTE... and Buick's target audience is NOT the GN's target audience. There is a Youtube video about this car.
Did you know that Buicks are quite popular in China? There is a Buick plant in China and they sell as many Buicks in China as they sell in the rest of the world.

I inherited a '84 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham with 32,xxx kms, all original. Mint shape, even has the F41 suspension pack, just like a GN.
I drive it. It's a car.

I don't know why people get excited about old G bodys. They weren't that great, almost BAD.
No power, even with the inter cooled turbo 6 and lousy mileage
The brakes SUCK LARGE. 8.5" disks and drums on the rear
There are very few cars that bump steer as bad as a G body
The steering box is like 27 turns lock to lock, even with the upgraded "sport" box
They screwed up the frame and they ALL rust out right behind the rear wheels on the dog leg. It's funny watching a tow truck guy tear the back of the car off trying to tow it.
They weigh north of 4500#
They have 195/75-14 tires stock.
... and they're in no way rare. G bodys set sales records. They sold 244,000 1984 Cutlass Supremes... almost all black.
In Canada, your G body was built in St. Therese PQ, GM's worst plant for labour unrest, till it was closed.
My car has a turbo hydramatic 350C transmission. I had never heard of a "C" before. Nor had anyone else I talked to, even tranny guys. Seems a T350"C" was GM's first "lock up" trans. It doesn't work. PIA

If you have a G body, get in touch. I can fix it.
I install 12" disks with metric calipers and use axle spindles and upper control arms off a Buick Roadmaster wagon which moves the upper control arm pivot in-board about an inch, which aligns the tie rods to the control arm, virtually eliminating bump steer.
Add a BIG sway bar with custom hold down kit, decent shocks and it stops and steers as well as a modern car.
I think the 350c had an adjustable band. or that could have been the 200c. Been so long since i rebuild transmissions i would have to go back and look

No vette from mid 70's through mid 80's was fast. In fact all domestic auto's in those dark days were crap. I learn to drive in a 1984 Cutlas Calais. (Dad's) 1981 Dodge Omni 024 (Mom's) Sad.
Mom's next car was a 1985 Toyota Supra. Yea now we're talking!

Last edited:
No vette from mid 70's though mid 80's was fast. In fact all domestic auto's in those dark days were crap. I learn to drive in a 1984 Cutlas Calais. (Dad's) 1981 Dodge Omni 024 (Mom's) Sad.
Mom's next car was a 1985 Toyota Supra. Yea now we're talking!
IIRC @omnivore had some fast omni's. He hasn't been around hear in a long time unfortunately. I think he had 350's in them.

A buddy used to rally race a Omni GLH, the intercooled turbo 2.5L breathed on by Carrol Shelby K car.
IT WAS GREAT (GLH = Goes like Hell REALLY).
...but you needed a welder to put the car back together on pit stops. The body just tore itself apart. It went on the frame rack after every race, trying to stretch it back into the correct shape to keep the wheels pointed down the road.
Other than that the car was great. I don't think it lasted the season.
Direct Connection, Mopar race parts, sold all kinds of "go fast" stuff for the K car. There was a Baja kit for a K car. Think about that for a minute.

GM made a S10 4WD 6 cyl. pickup (Cyclone maybe?) that was faster than a 'vette in the '80s. It wasn't that hard to beat a '80s 'Vette.

GM made a S10 4WD 6 cyl. pickup (Cyclone maybe?) that was faster than a 'vette in the '80s. It wasn't that hard to beat a '80s 'Vette.
Syclone. It is sad that companies decide to kill off their interesting vehicles to make the "halo" car look better instead of making a good halo car.

they also made the SUV version as well, the Typhoon, that was bloody fast as well....

i think the TC3 and 024 omni's plus the original dodge minivan kept chrysler alive in the 80s

Back
Top Bottom