Loud and proud? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud and proud?

For off-road racing in closed course competition:
"Q-34
All machines shall be subject to a sound check as measured by the noise test procedures of the CMA. 94 DBA maximum."

Should street bikes exceed the sound volume requirements of an off-road race bike,
meet them, or exceed them? There are lots of bikes on the road now that would blow over 100 dba.

There are three issues around swapping pipes:

1) Noise. This is the one that gets beaten to death. There was a video a while ago, showing someone blasting on their air horn as they were being cut off, and the driver not noticing. Also, some bikes sound like weed wackers, and putting a new pipe on them, doesn't change that very much.

2) Pollution. Performance changes for the weed wackers, come from removing the catalytic converter. Now you've become a climate change denier to some.

3) Cost. There's a perfectly good and expensive pipe already on the bike that complies with regulations, and is built and tuned for that bike. Harley gained a reputation for changing a bike from a toy, into an attitude, and people were willing to waste big bucks to be thought to have that attitude. This effect has since spread to other manufacturers, who are perfectly willing to accept people's hard earned cash.
If you're racing the bike, and you're good, then it makes sense to go for performance gains. If you're just tracking the bike, then you won't even be using the extra performance.

3) Cost. There's a perfectly good and expensive pipe already on the bike that complies with regulations, and is built and tuned for that bike. Harley gained a reputation for changing a bike from a toy, into an attitude, and people were willing to waste big bucks to be thought to have that attitude. This effect has since spread to other manufacturers, who are perfectly willing to accept people's hard earned cash.
If you're racing the bike, and you're good, then it makes sense to go for performance gains. If you're just tracking the bike, then you won't even be using the extra performance.
These people likely bought race bikes for street use, i'd say sense has little to do with it already.

All of my street bikes, whether stock or aftermarket exhaust, still have whatever emission controls they originally came with. In the case of my carbureted 1990 Yamaha FZR400, that would be "nothing". In the case of my ZX10R, that would be the original catalyst, although I highly doubt that it does anything any more. (110,000 km on the bike, and it is burning oil.) I'm not a "stock exhaust only" extremist, I also don't want to be "that guy".

The Yamaha is something of a classic, it has a period correct aftermarket exhaust on it, the stock one - which is a NLA part! - is in the spare-parts inventory in case I ever need it.

I never changed the exhaust on my '04 ZX10R because the stock exhaust - which has titanium header pipes! - isn't all that heavy, looks fine, and sounds good. The newer ones, which are heavier, uglier, and inaudible to the rider (due to more stringent regulations having come into effect) ... need to go.

and the repetitive thread achievement for 2020 is complete

I'm sure most of the threads on this forum are recycled. I was just trying to contribute to the community.

I love the sound of some of the bikes but not sure how you ride it without earplugs. The Honda Rebel 2017-2019 sounds like a sewing machine. I think the 2020 has been slightly tweaked as not so much a sewing machine but perhaps a lawn mower. Would like to switch the pipes but just don't find it worth the cost.

If I could the Indian Scout would be my bike right now.

Meh like most things, everything in moderation. Though some of the Harley or Sport guys with pipes you can hear them before you see them. I think this does help somewhat, at least give them some more presence on the road. But any of those obnoxious ones can go. Like this guy I saw in Uxbridge. Must of had a 8" pipe up the badside of the cab of the diesel pickup truck, loud and spewing smoke. Totally stupid.

I'm sure most of the threads on this forum are recycled. I was just trying to contribute to the community.

I love the sound of some of the bikes but not sure how you ride it without earplugs. The Honda Rebel 2017-2019 sounds like a sewing machine. I think the 2020 has been slightly tweaked as not so much a sewing machine but perhaps a lawn mower. Would like to switch the pipes but just don't find it worth the cost.

Can confirm. Rebel sounds like a sewing machine. Had one and hated the sound. But didn't find it worth to replace the exhaust as I heard some samples.

And that Indian sound is super sexy...I want one if I could afford it.

Meh like most things, everything in moderation. Though some of the Harley or Sport guys with pipes you can hear them before you see them. I think this does help somewhat, at least give them some more presence on the road. But any of those obnoxious ones can go. Like this guy I saw in Uxbridge. Must of had a 8" pipe up the badside of the cab of the diesel pickup truck, loud and spewing smoke. Totally stupid.

The diesel one? I've seen those. stupid.

Can confirm. Rebel sounds like a sewing machine. Had one and hated the sound. But didn't find it worth to replace the exhaust as I heard some samples.

And that Indian sound is super sexy...I want one if I could afford it.
Can you make a parallel twin sound good? Your choices are sewing machine or lawnmower. That engine layout just doesn't sound great.

I'm just poking fun, my own contribution!

Scout bobber is a beauty.

and fuel consumption.
Manufacturers go to great lengths to make the things meet the fuel economy REQUIREMENTS to import the things.

If you improved your fuel range, you probably did something right.

Indians are great bikes. A good friend down south took one for a demo ride and traded his Vulcan for one when he got back. His wife tried it the next day and traded her new Harley for one the following day.

The diesel one? I've seen those. stupid.
rolling coal

stupid part is they could make white smoke using water and the environmental impact would be less carbon and more h2o :geek: precipitation and cooler exhaust temperatures.

rolling coal

stupid part is they could make white smoke using water and the environmental impact would be less carbon and more h2o :geek: precipitation and cooler exhaust temperatures.
If you take a ride on the Segwun in Lake Muskoka, if you go past an island covered in seagulls, they truly roll coal. They restrict the air going to the fire box and the black cloud envelopes the island and makes all the birds fly away.

Come to think of it, a steam powered bike would be a fun cruiser. Like an ebike you can cruise around in peace. Unlike an ebike, it's cool.

I have a great book on steam power engines and pumps (y) I can loan it to you.

I have a great book on steam power engines and pumps (y) I can loan it to you.
I have Marks Mechanical Engineers Handbook from 1941. It's a dry read but the information is in there. It also has the best uses of Whale and Sperm oil. Other than finding an old can at Woody's I have no idea where you would come up with them anymore.

Last edited:
I have Marks Mechanical Engineers Handbook from 1941. It's a dry read but the information is in there.
Does it look like Trumps Bible and include tests to certify you? :cool: the chapter on pump design is neat.

Can you make a parallel twin sound good? Your choices are sewing machine or lawnmower. That engine layout just doesn't sound great.

FZ07, Nuda 900, maybe Africa Twin? They sound pretty good, IMO (sound is pretty subjective). I think all three of these have a crossplane crank configuration, IIRC. Otherwise, you're totally right.

Back
Top Bottom