Looking to Fish | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to Fish

I did a lot of fishing many years ago in Ontario. But the poaching and pollution turned me off. Last time i fished was off Vancouver Island with my cousin's son. We set traps for prawn and trolled for chinook salmon. Good times!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1663612520530.jpg
    FB_IMG_1663612520530.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_1663612534484.jpg
    FB_IMG_1663612534484.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Pretty much all of my fishing these days is done in the kayak. Need to keep a close eye on weather and wind forecasts.

55be219df3cf4440bd3c02c6ec976715.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to get invited to a trout pond but found the fish had a muddy taste. I tried a fly rod and it was exciting compared to winch on a stick.

A lot depends on whether one wants to catch and release, fill the freezer or mount trophies. Filling the freezer doesn't sit well with true enthusiasts. Trophies can be expensive, well into the six figures to catch a five pound fish.

Lots of regulations based on body of water, time of year, catch limits, possesion limits and species of fish. Then there are recommenations on what one can eat and how often depending on your age, sex and plans for parenthood.

I've kicked around taking it up again but would probably go for yellow perch. If you think they're trash price them in Port Dover. To me it would be just an excuse to do nothing. If I brought home dinner a couple of times a month that would be OK. I'm leaning against live bait and barbed hooks.

The toxicity has a lot to do with the waters and how long it took to get the fish up to the weight. We used to have a company joke about Niagara River trout.

Living in the city makes keeping a boat problematic so for me it's either shore, dock or renting a boat.

There is an interesting theory that the big fish are mostly gone. The big ones carry the aggressive DNA and that's what got them big, hogging the food, including the barbed stuff. The less aggresive ones kept their mouths shut and are more svelte.

Last edited:
@Jampy00
Since the summer is coming to an end, your selection at CT might be limited. Not that you need much based on what your plans are.
If you want to support local, there is a good shop in Hamilton . Usually the people that work there are enthusiasts and will guide you in the right direction.

https://billsbaitandtackle.net/

I enjoy fishing as well but I too am not Bob Izumi. I like a good fight with a fish but I don't know the secrets of attracting them to my lure.
I hope for the best with each cast.

I am planning a small trip (half day) in a couple of weeks with a couple of buddies on my small 16 foot tin can (20HP). Somewhere in the Kawartha's.
Will post pictures of results if and when it happens.

I was lucky enough to go on a Deep Sea fishing adventure with my dad and cousin back in 2018.
We were in St. Augustine FL,
Caught some King Mackerel and Cobia. The experience as awesome but the process was nothing what I expected. (nothing like what's on TV)
If anyone is interested I would highly recommend Great White Charters out of St. Augustine FL. 904-501-1265. Captain Dave was fantastic

1663639600363.png1663639639551.png
1663639683577.png

A few from recent...IMG_0932.jpgSimcoe, off Lefroy

20220919_224512.jpg
Cameron, near Fenlon Fslls
IMG_0528.jpg
Matagami river Timmins
IMG_2390.jpg
Couple of years ago, think this was near Port Credit

This is the unit I purchased....still have it and I love it.

Helped me catch about a 22lb fish. The only issue that I had is the line was cut a few times by fish/rocks/branches, but the rod never failed.

Throw it in a motorcycle bag and you can fish from anywhere.

Perfect starter rod. I was going to recommend the ugly stick

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Perfect starter rod. I was going to recommend the ugly stick

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
I started with an ugly stick. If he isnt planning on flying, fewer pieces is better. My brother has all one piece rods but two piece arent awful. Three and four piece rods really start to be stiff and not as fun to use (although a necessary evil for some situations).

@Mad Mike
What kind of river monster is this?
1663671305455.png

I started with an ugly stick. If he isnt planning on flying, fewer pieces is better. My brother has all one piece rods but two piece arent awful. Three and four piece rods really start to be stiff and not as fun to use (although a necessary evil for some situations).
I wish telescopic rods were more popular here. I find them to be very practical as they do not take up much space during transport.
I recently brought a couple back from Europe for the kids.

I wish telescopic rods were more popular here. I find them to be very practical as they do not take up much space during transport.
I recently brought a couple back from Europe for the kids.

I have 2 Mitchell telescopic rods. They are so versatile. I sometimes carry one on the bike.

One winter, I even zip-tied the bottom three/four sections together and created a makeshift ice-fishing rod.

@Jampy00 if you do go with an ugly stick from CT, check the top eyelet is aligned properly with the others.

When I picked up a couple of their ice fishing rods last year, I went through more than half a dozen to find 2 good ones.

Spawning salmon. That would be his final river run, they spawn and die.

I'm catch and release (mostly), all those fish went back into the water.
I knew that they do that but didn't realize that they look like that in the process.

I knew that they do that but didn't realize that they look like that in the process.
It's not really fishing... I only did that once. Spawning salmon have one thing on their minds, and it's not eating. I went to the river thinking the fishing would be good, they don't bite. I waded in and caught that one with my bare hands.

It's not really fishing... I only did that once. Spawning salmon have one thing on their minds, and it's not eating. I went to the river thinking the fishing would be good, they don't bite. I waded in and caught that one with my bare hands.
My last run in BC the salmon were already done their spawning...I was basically hooking them by sheer luck. No fight, no life left in them...they're dead. Even the bears stayed away.

I think I caught 25-30 fish within an hour. It got annoying.

Before we emigrated to Canada in ‘74, my dad would often fish with his brother over in Wales. Long rods and light tackle were used to fish the canals and rivers. Tiny hooks with 3/4 to 2 lb test leaders and reels spooled with 2, 3, or 4lb test. The smallest and lightest wooden floats and sometimes even quills were used to not spook the fish. Maggots were the most common bait.

When we came to Canada, some of that tackle came with us and I still keep it to this day as a memory to my Dad.

f9e24ace7661fa649123d3c228f70099.jpg

Here’s a size 20 hook (smallest one I have)

b1560239288ef899866b8145ff5016d4.jpg

Before we emigrated to Canada in ‘74, my dad would often fish with his brother over in Wales. Long rods and light tackle were used to fish the canals and rivers. Tiny hooks with 3/4 to 2 lb test leaders and reels spooled with 2, 3, or 4lb test. The smallest and lightest wooden floats and sometimes even quills were used to not spook the fish. Maggots were the most common bait.

When we came to Canada, some of that tackle came with us and I still keep it to this day as a memory to my Dad.

f9e24ace7661fa649123d3c228f70099.jpg

Here’s a size 20 hook (smallest one I have)

b1560239288ef899866b8145ff5016d4.jpg

An ultralight with light line catching brookies can be fun and tasty. I don't think it would be my choice for starting out though. A spinning rod ~7' long is far more versatile and can be used for catching almost anything.

A treasured uncle used to fly fish. We've got his kit (both finished flies and supplies). Not exactly we as my brother will probably officially own it (he cares about fishing) but I will probably steal a few of the finished flies to throw on a shelf of treasures. It was amazing how things used to be. Go hunting in the fall, keep pieces of your spoils (deer hair, feathers etc) to make flies with over the winter and ready for fishing in the spring.

Might be on my other laptop , I have a photo of a 5ft Marlin was caught by accident trolling off a 43ft sailboat on the way to Tahiti , took 45 mins to land and trying to back up a sailboat in the middle of the pacific, well no.
We also caught about 100lbs of yellowfin Tuna that trip trolling flashers . I never thought I’d get tired of sushimi ten minutes old , or 2in think tuna steaks on tbe bbq, or ceviche for breakfast , wait till you have 25lbs per guy and a small freezer .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom