Looking to buy a small SUV | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to buy a small SUV

if you buy something overpriced and pre owned right now....order what you like at the same time. By the time your Corolla Cross Hybrid shows in December/January you will still be able to sell it for a ridiculous price. The shortage is not going to change any time soon. Rav4 hybrid is at least a year plus. If you call a small dealer on the Cross though you can still be first in line. Our dealership only has 4 orders so far.

A relative of mine has a RAV4 hybrid, not impressed with the style, and really cheap looking in and out. As much as I am a fan of Toyotas, the Lexus is simply a nicer vehicle for a bit more.

Another family members RAV based Hybrid finally arrived yesterday, its light years better inside and out. Took about 3 months to get. Not bad.

Attachments

• Lexus.jpg
    Lexus.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
A relative of mine has a RAV4 hybrid, not impressed with the style, and really cheap looking in and out. As much as I am a fan of Toyotas, the Lexus is simply a nicer vehicle for a bit more.

Another family members RAV based Hybrid finally arrived yesterday, its light years better inside and out. Took about 3 months to get. Not bad.
if you want nicer than the Rav4 but not pay the 17k to get a Lexus....just look at the Venza. As close to a Lexus with a Toyota badge you can get.

What's current car?

For the road trip, can you get by with cargo roof box?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

It’s a bit of whack a mole to find something these days. New and used stock is very limited. Going new, could be a wait, used will pay almost, if not the same as new.

I’ve had 2 Foresters and will say the cost compared to Crosstrek is about the same. The advantages of the forester is better fuel economy and more room and better all round visibility. The crosstrex is smaller and drives as such. Not sure why the fuel economy is better but, the power train in the forester just seems better for power and efficiency. Between 7.2 L per 100km and 8l per 100. Where as the Crosstrex is around 9l per 100. Maybe my daughter just drivers hers more aggressively than me and my wife. Lol.

All have been reliable.

Are there any available are competitive prices amongst similar competitors presently? No idea.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is tough buying anything these days. What is the current cage, what are the road trip details, how many people....?

I ask as we have done many multi day (with some days over 15 hours driving) with sedans over the years.... Saab 9-5, 9-3 and VW Jetta. Family of four, we have it down and I can give some tips if they will help doing it in the current cage.

The newest path finders are having engine failures and engine related issues 😳. But the fact they finally got rid of the CVT is good.

Wow $45,000 for 3 year old Rav 4 hybrid base model with 50,000 kms. Crazy..
I purchased my 2021 Rav4 Hybrid XSE fully loaded for that price out the door. No wait time either. last summer. Good power great mileage. But I will be honest. Toyota reliabilty isnt what it used to be. So far had new gas tank, mirrors replaced. And high voltage cable replacement is under a class action law suit.
So just a heads up if you are considering used. The 2020 models have this sorted out except for the cable.

I would take a look a t Mazda if Toyota isnt your thing. CX 30, CX5, and new CX 50.

Or you you prefer more luxury. Lexus NX 350H.

Just my opinion stay away from Nissan. Their transmissions are notorious to fail at 50,000 kms,
Hyundai and Kias , nothing but fire traps.
Honda CRV is ok if you like their styling.

Thanks, but need to buy by beginning...ish of July.

Got a line on a 2018 Buick Encore for just under $16k. Not a model with the best rep, but....
I would suggest passing on the Encore.
My GF had one, and it was questionable at best. Lots of engine problems and electrical issues... (i.e. left headlight went out, so I replaced it. No luck. Took it to a shop to have it looked it. Apparently they would have to remove the power seats and several other items to try to figure it out properly - the headlights are on different fuses from each other, which makes diagnosing that much more difficult).

What's current car?

For the road trip, can you get by with cargo roof box?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
Can confirm. Did a road trip with 4 adults in a 2010 Civic Si sedan and a roof box…awesome trip and comfort was fairly good.

Made it out to PEI, Cape Breton Island, New Brunswick and back.

I would take a look a t Mazda if Toyota isnt your thing. CX 30, CX5, and new CX 50.

Or you you prefer more luxury. Lexus NX 350H.

Just my opinion stay away from Nissan. Their transmissions are notorious to fail at 50,000 kms,
Hyundai and Kias , nothing but fire traps.
Honda CRV is ok if you like their styling.

All of the above....

all new CR-V w Hybrid is coming soon, should be another winner

Had an RX330 before...got hit by a westbound vehicle while I was going up the 404. YES he was going westbound....at the time of impact and just before.

Have a minivan with over 300k kms, cargo space not an issue. It's the transmission...starting to not upshift. Will probably go for the Encore for $16k. Paying what the trade value is. Everything else is way too much right now for what they are.

Friend of mine bought a Crosstek and sold it after a year. I don't have an actual reason why other than to say she hated it.
I'd rent if it's for a roadtrip. Expensive or not it's still mileage I'd rather put on a rental instead of my own car.
Test drove one last year and I didn't like it. My thoughts after the drive. Steering too responsive for the vehicle it is - better suited to a GTI or similar than a crossover. The Eyesight system is annoying - prompts you to move forward when the vehicle ahead of you has moved, but you don't always want to e.g. at an intersection in bumper to bumper traffic. Felt a bit cramped in terms of headroom. LED headlights were only available on the top two trim levels IIRC (maybe changed for 2022), and you had to go for the absolute highest trim level to get the 2.5L engine + LED headlights - at that point, it's too expensive...

Last edited:
@Riceburner Saw this one on FB. Posted six minutes ago. No relationship with the seller. In the current market it seems reasonable. Front left corner is scratched up but otherwise apparently in good shape. My parents have a CX-5 and like it. I was playing around with Lane departure correction to see how it behaved. It is balls and basically useless. It pulls back across far too hard and turns dropping tires onto the shoulder into a head-on crash. Not a reason to avoid the car but a good reason to minimize the number of times you trust its judgement.

Meetu Kanyal

Selling my Mazda CX-5 2021. 41000 km all highway miles (i live in cottage country). Winter tires included, used only 1 season and in perfect condition. Front left bumper has a scratch photo included, no other issues. Car is meticulously maintained, all records can be provided.
7.0 L/100km comparable to sedans
Sell price 33500 including 1 season used winter tires

Last edited:
Hubby and I went "car shopping" on Saturday (I use brackets because we don't NEED a car; however, hubby's truck is costing an arm and a leg in fuel, so we thought we'd take a look at either an SUV with better mileage or an electric - still need to do more research on electrics though)...anyhoot, I couldn't believe the prices on used vehicles!!!!...absolutely INSANE!!!!...most of the car lots in Milton are devoid of new inventory and what they do have (most of which is used) is ridiculously priced...Kia in town had a used Ram 2500 Diesel with tons of mileage (can't remember exact amount and it wasn't too old either, maybe 2-3 years old) and they wanted $75,000 for it!!! WOW, just WOW...I think I'll be keeping my little Elantra GT for a while longer (haven't hit 70,000 yet and it's a 2013) as much as I would love a new car, there's no way I'm paying today's prices...feel sorry for anyone who has to buy a new vehicle...

Back
Top Bottom