Looking for advice... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for advice...

POWERMAN

Greetings All!

I've been over thinking a decision concerning my motorcycle for quite a while now.
Decided to post on here to see if I can get some feedback on the best way to go about this..

I currently own a 2017 Kawasaki Z650 ABS - purchased from Snow City Marine in Sept '17 and took delivery in April '18.
Fully paid off, never dropped, no dings/scratches, no leaks of any sorts and has 7000 kms logged on the Odometer and factory Dunlop tires that came with the bike.
Paid $9600 CAD out the door.

IMG-20180421-WA0004.jpg

I've done three oil changes since - all using the Kawasaki S4 synthetic oil with OEM oil filters.

- It is still on its factory ECU map
- Yoshimura Carbon Fiber exhaust installed after the first 1000 kms service was done at the dealership / stock exhaust stored in my basement
- OE Frame & Fork sliders + Tail tidy kit installed (Factory tail kit stored indoors)
- Givi Windshield and Puig Handguards installed
- Chain is regularly maintained with Maxima products
- Bike is currently tucked away for storage in my garage after it was detailed, waxed, treated petrol etc and the battery stored indoors.
All the mods were purchased brand new.

Point is - I like this bike and have no issues with it whatsoever...took a few pics as well:

BUT...I've fallen in love with the triumph Bonneville Bobber..that thing is absolutely gorgeous!
I'm partial to the Indian Scout Bobber as well - but the slightly higher price tag is a *bit* of a turn off:

2019-Indian-Scout-Bobber-vs-Triumph-Bonneville-Bobber-Black-cruiser-comparison-5.jpg

JEWYDRYTG6SEEYUHKSW6FPH7NU.jpg

Did some calling around and it turns out the insurance is on par with what I'm paying now with Allstate i.e. $15xx /year for 1M Liability/comprehensive and 500 deductible.

My brain tells me that I will take a big hit financially if I decide to trade the z650 in..however my heart tells me YOLO and I'm not getting any younger (I turn 33 next year).

What would you do if you were in my place?
Wait for a year or two or just jump the gun and make an impulsive decision?
Can someone please knock some sense into me?
tenor.gif

Appreciate any feedback/advice you'd be able to provide!!

If you are concerned about depreciation, don't buy new (and most of the time, don't trade in your bike, sell it privately). Used bonneville bobbers are on Kijijji from 10k. If you can afford it, go for it.

Give it a shot, what have you got to lose except some cash? Post your bike on Kijiji, sell it privately for max dollars, and then the new bike is only the difference is the insurance is the same.

I went from standard to a cruiser, didn't like it, and now I'm bikeless....for the time being anyway.

One caveat. Test ride it first. It is a very different bike.
You are on a nimble quick handling bike. Those others are, shall we say, not.

That said, if it floats your boat..... YOLO

Thought about how to say this, you said it better. In my opinion, what the original poster has now is better than what they're looking to get instead. But, I'm not the original poster.

If I were in your shoes, literally?
My eye never would have wondered over that abomination of a bike they call an Indian Scout.

You have a perfectly capable motorcycle, good all around bike.
What you'll be getting into is a big heavy lump that is a pain to maneuver in most situations under 5kph. A bike that does not too many things well and you will regret your decision.

Stay with what you have.

I like the YOLO idea, HOWEVER, as a few other have said, a cruiser is definitely different from what you're riding...I started on a CBR125, then went to a Vulcan 500 and hated it...the sitting position, my foot position, everything about it...too much pressure on my tailbone resulting in lower back pain...pain in my shoulders (probably could've fixed that with different handlebars, but honestly, didn't want to put the money into it)...went to a FZ6R and loved it...now on an FZ07 and can't think I'll ever get rid of it...

definitely try to sit on one for an extended period of time (not just a couple of minutes)...if possible, which I highly doubt with the current weather, try to ride one before buying...you could try riding one that's for sale on kijiji from a private seller (but again i doubt it) or see if a dealer would do a sale dependent on a test ride in the spring (I've done this for cars that a dealer didn't have on the lot for me to test drive, but again, I highly doubt a motorcycle dealer would go this route)...

good luck in your decision...the worst case scenario, is you buy it, don't like it and end up getting another sport/naked bike again...

wait, enjoy what you have, it's end of season anyway, sleep over it. Get some new rubber, those dunlops aren't the best, something diff will change the ride and re-ignite the new feeling, plan some trips. 33 is young, sure YOLO, so make the most of each ride, material objects don't follow you.

Not many cruiser riders on this forum so don't let their opinions on cruisers persuade you against one.
There's a reason the Scout and Triumph Bobber sell so well. They're excellent.
Good friend of mine has a Scout and loves it. Never had an issue and is all day comfortable yet city nimble. Beautiful bike imo.
I'll always agree that a test ride before purchase is a good idea though. Bike can't survive on looks alone, has to be fun to ride and meet whatever criteria you have for it.

I say get the Bobber....

as a second bike. This way you can ride whatever you feel like on a particular day.

Joking aside.
I say keep what you have. Get some more riding experience under your belt, and enjoy the experience.

The OP is missing in action. I think we are just talking amongst ourselves about his topic of choice.

Hi Everyone!

giphy.gif

Thank you all for taking the time to provide your points of view on this matter - you have my gratitude.
I had reached out to both Peak Power Sports and GP Bikes yesterday as I was curious about the proceedings (if I did decide to go ahead with this).
Needless to say they weren't happy when I informed them that I decided to hold off on this decision.

After checking both Kijiji and Blue Book Trader, I see that going ahead with this would result in a 40-45% depreciation hit, but it does help cut down on taxes for the new bike when trading in...I may very well hand it over to someone in my family should they get licensed in the near future.
I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to buying used (both cars and bikes), so chances are I wont be going that route at all.

I'm not a huge fan of interacting with people on Kijiji as I find many a time that folks can be quite rude/disrespectful - plus there's the safety aspect to take into consideration...I dont want to be killed over a bike, LOL.

I know there's a good chance that Indian will roll out the new PowerPlus V-twin engine across the board now that the Challenger model has been released - figured there'd be no harm in waiting to see what happens for a while more.
2020-Indian-PowerPlus-Engine1-1024x1024.jpg

When going through the respective forums (for Indian and Triumph) I also noticed that folks who purchased the Bonneville Bobber complained about its smaller Gas tank (9 litre capacity?) and lack of a second front brake rotor along with surface corrosion issues on certain aluminium surfaces - makes me wonder if Triumph will address all of this in its next iteration.

And yes, the Dunlops are not very confidence inspiring at all - besides looking at the Rapid Bike Pro for a custom tune (I follow Tremonte as he pioneered modifications on the Z650) I am also contemplating on whether to go with Metzeler or Michelin for my next pair of tires.

I've decided to stay put for now and see how the next year turns out.
I will set this decision aside and enjoy the Z650 for another year or so before revisiting this.

Thank you once again and enjoy the weekend ahead!

Last edited:
But you could be riding that bobber next spring. You know the cool just oozes from them vs the plain-Jane Z650. You could be "making the scene" yet you deny yourself, sentencing your desires to martyrdom. That's bound to take an emotional toll. You'll begin asking yourself questions: "Why am I letting life pass me by?" and "Is this all there is?". The crisis will deepen with each Triumph and Indian bobber that passes by you. It's like that gorgeous chick waiting for you to make a move, looking at you expectantly as you battle your self esteem; the price for the best sex you'll ever have in your life...will you pay it? Or will you regret it for the rest of your life? You know what you want, and there's no pretending. The question is...will you or won't you? The clock is ticking...

Back
Top Bottom