Looking for advice | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for advice

Haven't read the thread but noobs seem to get hyper focused on body position.

Body position is something, but it isn't everything.

And it sure isn't the first thing, or in the first 10 things you want to focus on.

IMO

All you need to know about body positioning lol
bad%20bp1.jpg

I think it's a good thing for new riders that are starting on low cc bikes to concentrate on body position. Throttle control and brake markers are much less importance. Body position on a light bike where corner speed is critical is largely dictated by body position.

I would agree with you to a certain regard for a new rider starting on a 600.

And it sure isn't the first thing, or in the first 10 things you want to focus on.

IMO

OP I slide my butt from one side to the other with the least effort possible, the more inches your butt is above the seat the more your leg muscles and knees will suffer. If I make a left and the next corner is a left, I would leave my butt to the left. I will also try and use the inertia of the bike to switch sides when posible.

I have done 2 hours straight during an endurance race and you need to try and conserve your energy, even for a 20 min session the least you move the more energy you have and the better body position and etc.

Last edited:

IMO

All you need to know about body positioning lol
bad%20bp1.jpg
I've been watching your videos in SOAR Lost Era Lighweight and AM600 and it seems pretty intense! Great races though.

OP I slide my butt from one side to the other with the least effort possible, the more inches your butt is above the seat the more your leg muscles and knees will suffer. If I make a left and the next corner is a left, I would leave my butt to the left. I will also try and use the inertia of the bike to switch sides when posible.

I have done 2 hours straight during an endurance race and you need to try and conserve your energy, even for a 20 min session the least you move the more energy you have and the better body position and etc.
2 hours is kind of insane, that can't be safe. I cruise down the backroads for 2 hours and I need a break.

I've been watching your videos in SOAR Lost Era Lighweight and AM600 and it seems pretty intense! Great races though.
Thanks!

2 hours is kind of insane, that can't be safe. I cruise down the backroads for 2 hours and I need a break.
It teaches you to conserve energy. Ride as fast as you can with the least amount of effort. It makes a 12 lap sprint race seem easy.

When you are racing the feeling is different than cruising on the back roads and you just want to go as fast as possible, normally fighting for a win with a couple of other teams and part of it is fighting fatigue. Trust me there are up to 29 bikes on track and very few incidents, it is safe.

Conserving energy and being efficient is all well and good in an endurance race but if you're racing for 10 laps you need to go as fast as you can for 10 laps. If you get used to riding at 80% all the time that will become your pace. When you're still learning you need to find out what your true 105% is and then back it down if you want to conserve energy.

This is me exiting Allens in practice. Standing up to get my weight foreward and transitioning from left to right as fast as possible. Going fast uses energy and that's why being in shape is crucial.

Dirt tracker background showing with your finger over the clutch?

Conserving energy and being efficient is all well and good in an endurance race but if you're racing for 10 laps you need to go as fast as you can for 10 laps. If you get used to riding at 80% all the time that will become your pace. When you're still learning you need to find out what your true 105% is and then back it down if you want to conserve energy.

This is me exiting Allens in practice. Standing up to get my weight foreward and transitioning from left to right as fast as possible. Going fast uses energy and that's why being in shape is crucial.

Dirt tracker background showing with your finger over the clutch?

Lol MX, it's on the brake all the time too. Looks funny when you can see both hands.

Its a habit I don't think I'll ever brake and honestly I don't feel the need.

I do that too. I thought I was alone in that since anyone I've mentioned it to thinks I'm weird. For me I find it gives a reference, especially on the throttle side, making it easier to be smooth on the throttle.

5167965005_85470834ca_o.jpg

Last edited:
When you are racing the feeling is different than cruising on the back roads and you just want to go as fast as possible, normally fighting for a win with a couple of other teams and part of it is fighting fatigue. Trust me there are up to 29 bikes on track and very few incidents, it is safe.

I know endurance is usually done as a team race, riding for that long at race pace(even not at 100%) has to be pretty tiring and fatigue will cause you to lose some focus and make more mistakes wouldn't it?

I know when I started getting tired I started dropping my 400+ lb bike offroad.

I am still in decent shape from playing hockey, basketball, tennis, trying to swim and doing backcountry hiking with 30+ backpacks.

I hiked a lot of US National Parks and I highly recommended riding there to do it, they are amazing compared the Bruce trail here.

Do you do weight training or just conditioning like running? I stopped weight training 12 years ago after I met my wife, no need to look good anymore lol.

I am still in decent shape from playing hockey, basketball, tennis, trying to swim and doing backcountry hiking with 30+ backpacks.

I hiked a lot of US National Parks and I highly recommended riding there to do it, they are amazing compared the Bruce trail here.

Do you do weight training or just conditioning like running? I stopped weight training 12 years ago after I met my wife, no need to look good anymore lol.

I weight train and have a spin bike. I can't do long distance running anymore so if I do run it's sprints. I prefer weight training and its somthing that I can do over the winter. I alternate high intensity and heavy lifting. Playing sports is a good way to stay in shape but the athletes that play those sports professionally also weight train. Look at the guys who race MX (10x harder physically then road racing) and they all have gyms with personal trainers. Lifting weights makes you strong, looking/feeling good is the byproduct.

I think you missed the point and in no way think that in endurance we ride around at 80% all the time, I think that if you haven't done it probably wouldn't be a good idea to comment on it Derrick.

When you are lap to lap with another team or you are a lap behind or they are closely approaching you for a pass you are riding all balls out sometimes as long as the duration of a spring race.

My comment was in regards to riding all balls out but still saving your energy so you are not tired for no reason - lifting your butt 3 inches from the seat wastes energy.

I think you missed the point and in no way think that in endurance we ride around at 80% all the time, I think that if you haven't done it probably wouldn't be a good idea to comment on it Derrick.

When you are lap to lap with another team or you are a lap behind or they are closely approaching you for a pass you are riding all balls out sometimes as long as the duration of a spring race.

My comment was in regards to riding all balls out but still saving your energy so you are not tired for no reason - lifting your butt 3 inches from the seat wastes energy.

I did a couple endurance races, made it for 45min-50min I believe each time. Once in the pouring rain at some stupid cold temperature.

Endurance race lap times are slower then sprint racing. They have to be to make the equipment last. If you could ride for 3hrs on one rear tire either your riding on hockey pucks or your pace is slowed.

Being worried about conserving energy when you're sprint racing is necessary but if it means your going to loose .1-.5s a lap because you don't want to throw your weight around you'd better be .1-.5s a lap faster then everyone else on the grid. You need to know what your 105% is and learning to ride conservatively isn't going to teach you that.

You're not riding balls out if you're riding a 1000 and your *** isn't out of the seat at least once a lap. My *** is off the seat and I'm standing up 3 times (maybe more) a lap doing Shannonville Pro track. You can't switch from left to right going through the chicane at a proper speed without getting your *** up, same with exiting Allens and entering the last corner.

You should try Shubie, you only get to sit down for around 10s total the whole lap.

This is why being in shape is part of being fast for an entire race. If your legs give out before the race is over your pace is going to slow right down and you're going to go backwards. If you're going to start a race worrying about your legs giving out you need to get in better shape or slow down. I prefer to go fast.

Last edited:
I do that too. I thought I was alone in that since anyone I've mentioned it to thinks I'm weird. For me I find it gives a reference, especially on the throttle side, making it easier to be smooth on the throttle.

5167965005_85470834ca_o.jpg

I feel like I can get on the brakes faster and downshift quicker. I guess from riding 2s's where you pull in the clutch as soon as you hit the brakes has driven it into me.

Endurance race lap times are slower then sprint racing. They have to be to make the equipment last. If you could ride for 3hrs on one rear tire either your riding on hockey pucks or your pace is slowed.

Being worried about conserving energy when you're sprint racing is necessary but if it means your going to loose .1-.5s a lap because you don't want to throw your weight around you'd better be .1-.5s a lap faster then everyone else on the grid. You need to know what your 105% is and learning to ride conservatively isn't going to teach you that.

You're not riding balls out if you're riding a 1000 and your *** isn't out of the seat at least once a lap. My *** is off the seat and I'm standing up 3 times (maybe more) a lap doing Shannonville Pro track. You can't switch from left to right going through the chicane at a proper speed without getting your *** up, same with exiting Allens and entering the last corner.

You should try Shubie, you only get to sit down for around 10s total the whole lap.

This is why being in shape is part of being fast for an entire race. If your legs give out before the race is over your pace is going to slow right down and you're going to go backwards. If you're going to start a race worrying about your legs giving out you need to get in better shape or slow down. I prefer to go fast.

So from these comments, I should not waste energy by jumping around if I don't need to, but if I do it is okay. Like I commented earlier, I think I am doing it because I move over too late for the turn.

I can picture going through a chicane at speed where you would need to do it though.

I am on a 300 so we'll see when the time comes for me to try it out, good to know it's okay either way as long as I move over smoothly to not unsettle the bike. (I have done that and know that is wrong)

Back
Top Bottom