Looking for advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for advice

Supernam

I have a video here of me riding at the FAST Riding School Phase 2 this past summer and was wondering if anyone has time to watch to give me advice on what I may be doing right or wrong.

I am 5'7" 150 lbs without gear, riding a stock Ninja 300 ABS with race fairings. I set the tire pressure to 30 psi front and back cold and did not even change the clicker on the suspension.

I am not worried about any harsh criticism as you won't hurt my feelings. Any help would be appreciated.

[video=youtube;CFHj_E3RnuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFHj_E3RnuQ[/video]

Edit: I posted this exact same thread on multiple forums to get different perspective from different people, if anyone is interested in reading on the advice of others you can check out these links.

This one is from a Ninja 250/300 forum: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1068271#post1068271

This one is from a Ninja 300 forum: http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for.../104433-looking-advice-riding-critique-2.html

Last edited:
Oh Boy, no offense but asking for advice in a forum about this is probably not you best bet.

Opinions are like ********, everyone has one.

Oh Boy, no offense but asking for advice in a forum about this is probably not you best bet.

Opinions are like ********, everyone has one.

Yeah no worries. I already had a nice long chat with Bakaboy and I'd like to think I am pretty good at filtering advice on this forum. I have been on here long enough to know the certain personalities of the individuals posting. I'm not the type to listen to what everyone says, but there is no harm in gathering more information.

I like the comments that you inserted in your video.

Seems like you already know what to work on. Consistency of lines, being smooth on the controls and not worrying about getting the knee down are what I would have recommended, which are all things you've already noted.

Once you've mastered that, I'd suggest braking markers and body positioning as next steps.

I like the comments that you inserted in your video.

Seems like you already know what to work on. Consistency of lines, being smooth on the controls and not worrying about getting the knee down are what I would have recommended, which are all things you've already noted.

Once you've mastered that, I'd suggest braking markers and body positioning as next steps.

Thanks Gene!

After you teach me how to ride track, maybe you can teach me how to travel the world for 5 years without having to work! :lmao:

Looking from the grandstand I'd say it looks like you could get your upper body lower. It looks like you're sitting up too straight in most corners, with your arms extended. Try getting a bit more bend in your elbows for better control and feel.

Since when have they done Phase 2 on Nelson? Way back when I did FAST, Phase 1 was Nelson, Phase 2 was Fabi.

Keith Code twist of the wrist video....

Seen the video a few times, part 2 anyways.

Get your bum off the seat more. Keep having fun.

I will try to do that more. I feel like I'm off quite a bit, but I'm probably not. 1 cheek off the seat is what I'm always told, would there be any reason for more than that?

Looking from the grandstand I'd say it looks like you could get your upper body lower. It looks like you're sitting up too straight in most corners, with your arms extended. Try getting a bit more bend in your elbows for better control and feel.

Since when have they done Phase 2 on Nelson? Way back when I did FAST, Phase 1 was Nelson, Phase 2 was Fabi.

I am sitting straight up, I had another video that points directly at my body to see the positioning. I have never really ridden a sportsbike so I'm not used to riding with my chest on the tank. I will work on that, is there such a thing as bending my elbows too much? I don't have clipons yet but people tell me that will help with body positioning.

FAST is Phase 1 and 2 Nelson, Phase 3 Pro track now. I will be taking Phase 3 next season.

tripod or a cameraman with steady hands ;-)

Yeah, it might be a bit tough with the higher bars on the 300 but you should still be able to improve with the bike as it is. The basic rule that I was taught, your outside elbow (your elbow that isn't pointing at the ground) should be about 90 degrees. That does two things; it gets you down closer to the tank and also doesn't let you over straighten your outside arm. A lot of people hang their upper body off and straighten their outside arm which can decrease your control.

Here's a good example.
150915misano_0080mmarquez.gallery_full_top_lg.jpg

Getting on the gas coming out of a corner when the bike is already stood up you'll see guys like Marquez hang way off the inside, stretching out the outside arm. At this point it's okay and hanging off like that is to stand the bike up as much as possible to get as much acceleration grip as possible.

I just lay my outer arm on the tank. If I'm not doing that I know that my body is too stiff and I'm not getting my body down low enough. The only problem is that Shannonville at race pace is pretty hard to move from full chin-on-tank on one side to the other quickly enough. Or maybe I'm getting old. Hah, maybe?

That is great advice guys. 90 degrees and lay the arm on the tank.

Throttle control is another issue. Typical how much throttle do you use from braking point to the apex, and what rpm should I be at? I know after apex I just roll on throttle gradually.

If you're on the brakes there's zero throttle, except when blipping the throttle for down shifts. Depending on the corner I get the throttle rolling back on before apex, but very slightly just to stabilise the bike. I wouldn't worry about that much right now. Focus on your entry speed senses.

I will try to do that more. I feel like I'm off quite a bit, but I'm probably not. 1 cheek off the seat is what I'm always told, would there be any reason for more than that?

One cheeck is correct. I guess watching you go through all right hand corners it didn't look like you were sitting off/shifting your weight but it makes sense that you weren't.

Hey 'Nam,
Don't want to hijack your thread but what did you think of the FAST school?
I'm thinking of doing them in 2016, only done the Intro to Track day at TMP so far, not sure whether to go for the Racer 5 schools or FAST.
My concern with Racer 5 is the room on the 125 bikes & my very dodgy old knees making it hard for me to be able to move around on the smaller bikes thats why I was thinking of FAST & then riding my own bike.

Smudger

Last edited:
That is great advice guys. 90 degrees and lay the arm on the tank.

Throttle control is another issue. Typical how much throttle do you use from braking point to the apex, and what rpm should I be at? I know after apex I just roll on throttle gradually.

Depends on the corner and how comfortable you are with trail braking. Sometimes you brake all the way to the apex or just before and then on the gas. Sometimes your at neutral throttle (not accelerating/not slowing) for a second before you hit the apex. Far too many variables to give a proper answer. You'd have to ask at what specific corner and then riding styles, bike, ability come into play.

If you're on the brakes there's zero throttle, except when blipping the throttle for down shifts. Depending on the corner I get the throttle rolling back on before apex, but very slightly just to stabilise the bike. I wouldn't worry about that much right now. Focus on your entry speed senses.

Stop blipping and use the slipper. It took me a few rounds to really get used to it and it makes a big difference when you can concentrate fully on brake pressure and modulating it. Also backing it in is way cooler :)

I've been blipping since I was 10 so if I can stop after 21 years anyone can.

Clipons (or lower risers) will help with body positioning for sure.

With OEM handlebars on my bike, I didn't feel like I could get comfortable positioning for cornering on the street!! I switched to an aftermarket bar, and it made a world of difference in terms of building cornering confidence (I also have longish arms for my height, so a lower handle bar position helped with body position).

Stop blipping and use the slipper. It took me a few rounds to really get used to it and it makes a big difference when you can concentrate fully on brake pressure and modulating it. Also backing it in is way cooler :)

I've been blipping since I was 10 so if I can stop after 21 years anyone can.

I don't blip anymore on my ZX6R. I did for the first season on it, but I don't now. Nam's Ninja 300 should have a slipper clutch too. I test rode one a Mosport RDT and it seemed like a very loose slipper compared to my ZX6R. I'm not even convinced my bike has one... haha...

So yeah, Nam, dricked is right, you don't need to bother blipping on your 300. I guess it's a dying art. :p

Back
Top Bottom