Long 2 week trip - What am I going to forget? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Long 2 week trip - What am I going to forget?

Baggsy

Site Supporter
I'm heading down to the Barber museum, via tail of the dragon. The plan is to motel, all the way there and back. What am I going to wish I'd brought with me?

I'm heading down to the Barber museum, via tail of the dragon. The plan is to motel, all the way there and back. What am I going to wish I'd brought with me?
Extra camera, or memory for all the awesome pictures at Barbers and along the scenic roads to and from.
GPS in case your paper maps get damaged
Paper maps in case your GPS get damaged
Heated gear - the weather can change quickly.
Spare phone/camera charger in case your current one breaks
Spare set of keys hidden somewhere on your bike in case you lose your primary set.
Ziplock bag with copies of ID/credit cards and some spare cash in case you lose your wallet - I keep this secured on my bike with my spare set of keys that are hidden in a place only I know of.
When down in Alabama, I bought a hydration knapsack it and made riding days so much better.
Nowadays when I travel by motel - a must have is a small tablet.
US change kept handy if you are taking any toll roads
A damp towel kept in a Ziplock bag to clean your windscreen and/or helmet visor each morning before you head out.
A lucky charm from a loved one in your wallet to keep you safe.

Sense of humour prob at some point.

You are on vacay, enjoy and laugh it off.

Post pics

Electrical tape, zip ties, and a multi tool, CAA for everything else.

Have fun!

Edit: Vaseline, great for random rashes that happen if you happen to do long days on the bike.

A long length of fuel line in case you run out of fuel and can syphon from a fellow rider in an emergency.

First Aid Kit

Re-usable drinks container (stay hydrated).

Passport

Printouts of your destination address so you don’t have to hand your phone to US Border Patrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the must have essentials for the bike are:

- rain pants and rain gloves
- tools
- tire patch kit
- water
- GPS
- some small edibles like nutragrain bars
- visa/cash
- passport
- phone & charger
- walking shoes

Everything else is a luxury and dependant on what you need/want. I always carry my laptop as I find my trips generally change from what I had original plotted, so I do some routing mapping in the evening and then send to my GPS, other then that I find I do not use my nerd things that much (iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro).

If you are planning long days in the saddle, I love a camelbak. You just feel better if you can stay hydrated and you only need to fill it once a day.

Other than that, people above have pretty much nailed it. Make sure your bike is in great shape to start, two weeks is more than enough to burn up tires or a chain especially if they aren't brand new to begin with.

Spare phone/camera charger in case your current one breaks
Spare set of keys hidden somewhere on your bike in case you lose your primary set.

Lots of great suggestions, but these are 2 of my must-haves. I *always* have an emergency set of spare keys stashed somewhere for long trips - murphys law dictates that you'll lose your keys when you're thousands of KM from home.

I also have a TrackR (bluetooth tracker dongle) on all our MC keys, including our spares. If you do inadvertendly drop them somewhere you have a hope of finding them again using your phone. They're only $4/each at Dollarama right now, money well spent.

I always bring a multi-USB charger brick I own that lets me charge up to 6 USB devices with just one receptacle. Some hotels/motels have a scarcity of plugs and it's often amazing how many things that need USB and you'll want to charge at the end of the day. That negates the need for having a bunch of individual bricks plugged in in various areas across your room, as well as needing to carry multiple bricks to begin with.

I also take photos of passports and any other important medical docs and put them behind a fingerprint requirement on my phones notepad - just in case. Safe, secure, and a viable emergency backup in case something happens to my wallet, passport, whatever.

And yes, TP. You never know when last nights greasy spoon dinner is going to decide it needs to make an emergency exit. ;)

We have a winner. Scala charging cable. Hoping that the heated glove liner charger will work.

We have a winner. Scala charging cable. Hoping that the heated glove liner charger will work.

My Scala just uses a regular old micro-USB cable to charge...does your model have something more proprietary?

Health insurance, CAA Plus and a few raincoats.

My Scala uses a 1/8" power jack. It looks like the glove supply is charging it.

Second winner was a new chain/sprocket. Mine was a little kinky. The nice people at Roanke Motorsport put on a new chain first thing yesterday morning. I'll have to get a new sprocket when I get back home.

We did the tail of the dragon and cherohala skyway today. No traffic at all in our direction, and the sheriff was at the shop when we arrived.

okgtc0X.jpg

My list of must haves are as follows:

-Camera equipment with all charging cables and a freshly emptied memory
-All travel documents and insurance info in duplicate put in 2 different places
-Freshly paid off Visa as well as cash (Canadian or USA depending on what is needed) as it it sucks if you find out their credit machine is broken!
-A thoroughly inspected and proper running bike. Better to swap out a set of tires or a chain a little early than have to do it on the road.
-Clear and tinted visor and cleaning rags for them.
-Spray wash and a dedicated rag for parts like tank that might get scratched if left dirty too long
-rain gear
-walking shoes
-ear plugs
-maps
-basic repair stuff like a multi tool, duct tape, electrical tape and zip ties
-sunscreen, hand sanitizer, meds etc

I keep pretty much all of these things on the bike at all times, but I do have an ST1300 with a top box so I'm never at a loss for storage space!

One thing I recommend to anyone traveling ANYWHERE regardless of mode of transport, even on day trips is GRAVOL and IMODIUM! Even if you only take 1 tab of each, they might save your whole day! I've had a couple of each stashed in a small bottle on every bike I've ever had. In 22 years of riding I've only needed them once and I was sure glad I had them! I was at a rally and did NOT want to spend the day in and out of a port-a-potty! If you end up eating something contaminated on a long trip, miles from the nearest rest stop they can be invaluable!

Back
Top Bottom