Long 2 week trip - What am I going to forget? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Long 2 week trip - What am I going to forget?

Health insurance, CAA Plus and a few raincoats.
AAA won't help if you have CAA Plus. Broke down in PA two years ago and the only help I got from AAA was the phone nbr of a towing service. CAA Premier Membership will get you the towed by AAA. To their credit I was reimbursed by CAA for the towing but is was a real hit to the wallet. Not something you want to learn about at the side of the road.

probably already done your trip, though I had planned to do the same this summer, crashed on the way, never made it. Health insurance is a must, I got it, came in handy, however I went with allianz and don't recommend them, they had a $5k vehicle recovery option, I chose it in coverage, when it came to claiming it they told me to go through my own moto insurance, hung up on them, rested in a hotel for 3 days to recover, rode the bike back home as i was still in Tennessee. I have CAA, didn't consider it much. Next time i'll go with World Nomads - Explore Your Boundaries insurance.

I carried camping gear, used it once in a week and a half, walk in rates for hotels were pretty cheap, wasn't a huge deal. One point got a Marriott when I rode late in the night, reception lady gave me a suite with a hot tub, for $70.

While sleeping in suite with a hot tub for $70 is pretty sweet, I will forever remember sleeping in my tent for free, surrounded by bears and being the only person in the State Forest that night. If not for the added weight of carrying around all the extra gear and setting up and packing up in the rain, it's so much more fun to tent.

On a different trip I had a burnt clutch near Wytheville. Couldn't wait to fix it locally, so loaded the bike in a Uhaul cube van and drove it home. Added an unexpected $2k to that trip.

While sleeping in suite with a hot tub for $70 is pretty sweet, I will forever remember sleeping in my tent for free, surrounded by bears and being the only person in the State Forest that night. If not for the added weight of carrying around all the extra gear and setting up and packing up in the rain, it's so much more fun to tent.

On a different trip I had a burnt clutch near Wytheville. Couldn't wait to fix it locally, so loaded the bike in a Uhaul cube van and drove it home. Added an unexpected $2k to that trip.
I still like sleeping in a tarp while using the bike as the support. Keeps the bike safe, me warm and setup/teardown is two minutes tops. Not at all bear resistant though.

I do love camping, and have bicycled across Ontario just stealth camping, for this trip I brought my Hennessy hammock along, for light weight and easy setup. Only to realize how annoying and unnecessary it is on the motorcycle, can't take any gear in the tent, not the best sleep either. Plan was to camp every other day, some campsites were like $15-30, and some hotels I got for $50-60, though after riding all day in 35c humid weather, a shower and charging all accessories was nice. I was looking forward to more camping, trip just got cut short.

I'm planning again for next year, this time will get a 2 person tent and more luggage capacity for 2 weeks, 50L I had was annoyingly tight. I also need to get a Spot or Garmin inreach, cause lots of areas had no cell, including the camp site I got, which was on a cannabis growing plot with some shady characters, yet helpful. Carrying the extra gear did get annoying, esp on the tiny CB500X, and I travel very light

Oh snap, about the burn't clutch! on a V-strom? after my crash, the CBX's handle bars bent up 90 degrees, 2 blokes helped me straighten them on the side of the road, they were hanging on very little metal super risky, they told me to check 2 local shops about an hr away, went there, first shop didn't have any bars that fit, second said they can put some Honda ATV bars, it worked. Cost $220 with labor, and they fixed a flat in the rear. Went to the hospital after, than 3 days in a hotel, overall spent around $800 more than planned. Looked into a U-haul, cost much more than I Thought

Last edited:
probably already done your trip, though I had planned to do the same this summer, crashed on the way, never made it. Health insurance is a must, I got it, came in handy, however I went with allianz and don't recommend them, they had a $5k vehicle recovery option, I chose it in coverage, when it came to claiming it they told me to go through my own moto insurance, hung up on them, rested in a hotel for 3 days to recover, rode the bike back home as i was still in Tennessee. I have CAA, didn't consider it much. Next time i'll go with World Nomads - Explore Your Boundaries insurance.

I carried camping gear, used it once in a week and a half, walk in rates for hotels were pretty cheap, wasn't a huge deal. One point got a Marriott when I rode late in the night, reception lady gave me a suite with a hot tub, for $70.

Back in 2012 I crashed my bike in Virginia and broke my arm. CAA medical insurance (separate policy from regular CAA) covered the medical bills, ~$7k USD. Regular CAA paid for a Uhaul and the gas for me to bring my bike home, ~$1k, also the tow and storage from the crash site, ~$300.

I paid for the Uhaul, gas, tow fees out of pocket and was reimbursed.

Immodium for sure tho not certain about Gravol. Something along the line of PeptoBismal can help with too much coffee.

Back in 2012 I crashed my bike in Virginia and broke my arm. CAA medical insurance (separate policy from regular CAA) covered the medical bills, ~$7k USD. Regular CAA paid for a Uhaul and the gas for me to bring my bike home, ~$1k, also the tow and storage from the crash site, ~$300.

What I want to know is...how long were you in the states recovering? Im guessing you cant just put the bike on the uhaul the next day after breaking your arm and drive home with 1 arm?

What I want to know is...how long were you in the states recovering? Im guessing you cant just put the bike on the uhaul the next day after breaking your arm and drive home with 1 arm?

I wouldn't recommend it, but... Crashed and operated on Friday, discharged Saturday, drove back Sunday. Thankfully the tow yard was nice enough to load up the bike and strap it down for me.

Driving with one arm was fine, real fun part was figuring out timing the percocets.

Why not? I messed up my left ankle in a bike crash and figured out how to drive standard with just a right leg the next day. It's far from ideal, but the left leg was going to be out of commission for at least a month. It more depends on your pain level and whether that is affecting your ability to think.

woah, didn't even cross my mind, I have CAA premium as well. The minuet Allianz told me they would go through my motorcycle insurance I just decided to do it all on my own, cause the alternative would have cost more and stick for years, I thought CAA would tell me the same as Allianz. Allianz didn't even cover the hotel or trip interruption, they said since the it happened during my trip, apparently that doesn't cause any delay, I was SOL the whole time. Call after call.

Back
Top Bottom