Light Metalic click when changin gear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Light Metalic click when changin gear

inferno

When changing gear Im hearing a light click/clunk sound. Its not a solid sound, more like a light tap on a thin metal sheet. I
Its not loud but i can hear it when riding.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Normal operation?

TwistedKestrel : The sound wasn't there when I got the bike last year. Its not the gear operation because it happens slightly after the new gear kicks in.

crankcall : Its a bit loose now, needs tightening. how can it be related?

TwistedKestrel : The sound wasn't there when I got the bike last year. Its not the gear operation because it happens slightly after the new gear kicks in.

crankcall : Its a bit loose now, needs tightening. how can it be related?

I wrote an almost identical topic/question last fall, and the problem turned out to be in the chain. Altho it very much looked lubed up, it wasn't.

Yours might be not the case of course, but I just wanted to share =)

Lubing was the solution.

Also, my chain was very loose as well. When downshifting especially, it would BANG.

When changing gear Im hearing a light click/clunk sound. Its not a solid sound, more like a light tap on a thin metal sheet. I

I would check the chain to ensure it's adjusted properly and well lubed and then check the drive sprocket. I've seen where a loose drive sprocket has caused a similar noise when the nut holding it on has loosened off or is missing.

loose chain can slap on a coverplate or swingarm, it get loose when you let off throttle and shift, then power on and it snaps tight. More common than you'd think.

It could be the popcorn popping !

Actually it could be ANYTHING.....I would run the bike on a stand to see where it is comming from...noises are hard to troubleshoot sometimes...if you can repeat it then it gets easier to trouble shoot.

The loose chain could be it. I associated it with gear change because that was when the engine was not revving but on my ride today i noticed it happen when just grabbing the clutch.

I cleaned and lubed the chain just before riding but yea it really loose.

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom