Licence plate sticker expired ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Licence plate sticker expired ?

"A friend" might have drove a 1-ton pickup truck he owned for on an expired sticker once for 7 years.

The annual sticker was $450/year because of the fact it was registered heavy due to the weight and combination of trailers he was pulling. On a HD truck the sticker goes on the front so unless a cop is behind you and runs the plate, well, nothing is obviously wrong. And that truck had a trailer behind it about 90% of the time so the back plate wasn't even easily visible to run.

It wasn't until one fateful day while pulling into a provincial park on a May 24'th long weekend that there was an OPP checkpoint (ensuring no alcohol on the dry weekend) that 1 of the 2 officers noticed. So my friend said.

The ticket is $110 and has no effect on insurance nor points as it's not a moving violation.

My friend says he saved $3150 over those 7 years....minus the $110 ticket.

He eventually lowered the registered weight on the truck for the last year he owned it (wasn't pulling much anymore) and bought a sticker for the regular cost. No back collection.

*cough*

The ticket is $110 and has no effect on insurance nor points as it's not a moving violation.

Are you sure about that ticket not affecting insurance? I know from personal experience that failure to produce insurance slip or ownership will definitely affect insurance, and this doesn't seem any different (you're not legally allowed to be on the road without them). Tickets where your driver's license aren't recorded are the only ones I'm aware of that don't affect your insurance - parking and photo radar. Granted, your insurer may let you off your first ticket within so many years, but that isn't the same thing.

On a HD truck the sticker goes on the front so unless a cop is behind you and runs the plate, well, nothing is obviously wrong.

Or his car automatically scans your plate and flags it on his computer.
2019-06-27-yrp-automated-licence-plate-reader.jpg;w=960

Or his car automatically scans your plate and flags it on his computer.
2019-06-27-yrp-automated-licence-plate-reader.jpg;w=960

Those things didn’t exist back then. They were just getting introduced around the time “my friend” sold the truck.

;)

Are you sure about that ticket not affecting insurance? I know from personal experience that failure to produce insurance slip or ownership will definitely affect insurance

Yes, absolutely positive. "My friend" may have received a few of them over the years. ;)

Are you sure about that ticket not affecting insurance? I know from personal experience that failure to produce insurance slip or ownership will definitely affect insurance, and this doesn't seem any different (you're not legally allowed to be on the road without them). Tickets where your driver's license aren't recorded are the only ones I'm aware of that don't affect your insurance - parking and photo radar. Granted, your insurer may let you off your first ticket within so many years, but that isn't the same thing.
Seems to depend on your insurance company. mine said they don't care about 'fix it' tickets.

No, it wouldn't make sense to penalize the driver for expired stickers, since the vehicle may not be registered to them. If I borrowed my friend's car and his sticker was expired, why should my insurance care or be affected?

I've received many $110 fix-it tickets for running with no front plates. Always paid them. Never put the front plate on. Ticket is never on the drivers abstract. Insurance never notified.

I've received many $110 fix-it tickets for running with no front plates. Always paid them. Never put the front plate on. Ticket is never on the drivers abstract. Insurance never notified.
Why not just put the plate on and save yourself the hassle ?

Yep, I had a front plate ticket as well in the past. Plate was falling off (striped out holes), yanked it off so it wouldn't fall off, tossed in windshield temporarily. Got nailed for it.

Fix it ticket. No insurance implication at all.

lol....and I've seen cars with the front plate on an arm off to the side at the front....looked uglier than mounted in the middle on the OEM

$110 times x.... worth the car looking better?????
Afaik, off to the side is legal. Still visible from every direction and is the most forward object on the vehicle. Some people really have a hardon for no bumper holes. Front plate also blocks intercooler airflow on some vehicles. No big deal for a street car, but in case you want to flog it with the plate on, more flow is better.

lol....Gene has more $ than me....and more vain......?

Off to the side wasn't about being legal.....just looked like the owner didn't want it on the OEM and put it on an ugly arm off to the side. Don't recall it looking like it blocked anything if in the OEM spot. Regular street car. Just a ricer. lol

lol....Gene has more $ than me....and more vain......?

Off to the side wasn't about being legal.....just looked like the owner didn't want it on the OEM and put it on an ugly arm off to the side. Don't recall it looking like it blocked anything if in the OEM spot. Regular street car. Just a ricer. lol
The best is when they have a side mount plate and plugs in the holes the dealership left in the centre of the bumper. Side mount plates also wreak havoc with parking sensors and some radar cruise setups.

Car looked better without the front plate.
When I was younger and dumber I ran with no front plate for years never actually had an issue either I always laughed at the guys with the plate in the front window that is stupid just pointing out that the plate isn't where it should be I kept it in the trunk to make sure it didn't get scratches

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's been twenty years since my "No Front Plate Ticket is merely an Aesthetics Tax" days.
Probably around the same for me 98 to 2001 when I sold the car never having removed the front cut out the plate went in.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Afaik, off to the side is legal. Still visible from every direction and is the most forward object on the vehicle. Some people really have a hardon for no bumper holes. Front plate also blocks intercooler airflow on some vehicles. No big deal for a street car, but in case you want to flog it with the plate on, more flow is better.
I believe its legal too. There have been some vehicles sold in this country which place the plate off to the side. The first car I ever drove was a Pontiac Sunbird and from what I can tell the whole generation of them came with plates off to the side.

Back
Top Bottom