Left Canada , living (and riding) in Colombia | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Left Canada , living (and riding) in Colombia

That's a great outcome to a crappy situation.
I often hear people say how scary they think Columbia is but they've never been there. I loved Columbia. It was beautiful, people were friendly, and food was excellent. Enjoy it there!

That's a great outcome to a crappy situation.
I often hear people say how scary they think Columbia is but they've never been there. I loved Columbia. It was beautiful, people were friendly, and food was excellent. Enjoy it there!

The look on people's faces when I told them that I was moving to Colombia ....... of course , none had actually been there , and most believed that Pablo Escobar was still controlling the drug cartels ...... I was pleasantly surprised at how progressive it is , and how hard they are working to shed the image from 30 years ago ........ and they are doing a great job ! There are still protests and pockets of crime , but nothing like it used to be ........ thanks , Les

Hey Les, took me a bit to remember who "cheekeebandito" was. you helped me with plastic welding & painting my zx7 many many many years ago.
great to hear that you found a happy place. enjoy!
Thanks so much ! I met a lot of wonderful people over the years , doing paint and plastic repairs .... the code I always stuck with , was to treat every repair as if it was my own bike ... that served me well ... appreciate the shoutout , and best wishes to you too !
Cheers , Les

Glad to hear you made the best of a crappy situation. Best of luck to you hopefully it keeps on being great.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2
Thanks Steve ! silver SV650 , right ? much appreciated !!

Les, admire your fortitude in dealing with an unpleasant situation and willingness to relocate in an unfamiliar environment.
Was getting the motorcycle ownership papers a pain-free experience, what about insurance (medical for you, theft & accident for the KTM)?
Traffic police, are they like 'here' or 'otherwise'?

Les, admire your fortitude in dealing with an unpleasant situation and willingness to relocate in an unfamiliar environment.
Was getting the motorcycle ownership papers a pain-free experience, what about insurance (medical for you, theft & accident for the KTM)?
Traffic police, are they like 'here' or 'otherwise'?
Thanks Chris ! I purchased my bike from an auto consignment dealer , and he helped me out with the necessary paperwork , to a point ....... I still had to go the transito office to get some other paperwork , and they told me that I was not eligible to buy the bike until I completed a lengthy moto course (in Spanish) ...... I talked to the dealer , and he told me that was nonsense , and to go see his mother , who works at a different transito office....... got it done there , with no issues .... this sort of inconsistency seems to be everywhere , with everything ...... the motorcycles here have a type of liability insurance (SOAT) attached to the bike , same for license plates .... but you can purchase separate insurance to cover collision and theft .... of course , there are different levels of this , and I opted for the premium package , at the advice of my girlfriend ..... The bike was actually more expensive here than it would be in Canada ..... the extra insurance I purchased was about on par with what I pay in Canada ...... but the riding is 12 months / year , so I can live with that ...... my 43 years being fully licensed as a motorcyclist in Canada meant nothing ..... I can't speak from experience with the traffic police here , but my girlfriend tells me that bribery is normal here..... and apparently you can ride for 3 to 6 months using your Canadian driver's license along with your passport (they look at the latest stamp for when you entered the country) ....... beyond that , you need to get a Colombian license ..... leaving the country resets the 6 months of eligibility (this is my understanding , not written in stone) .... I do plan to take the course when my Spanish is better ! They also have a PICO Y PLACA program here that means you can't operate your vehicle on city streets on specific days of the month....... this is supposed to help with traffic congestion ....... there are traffic cameras everywhere , for speeding and also for this specific program ..... and you really need to be prepared to be passed on both sides , in extremely close proximity , by scooters , bikes , and cars and trucks ...... it's really intimidating at first , and you cannot change lanes without taking a look over your shoulder and checking your mirrors ...... lots of bikes with 3 passengers, dogs , washing machines , you name it ......... you gotta see it to believe it ....... but riding outside of the city is breathtaking ....... amazing roads , amazing scenery ........ that's where I plan to do the bulk of my riding ....... Cheers, Les

Thanks Chris ! I purchased my bike from an auto consignment dealer , and he helped me out with the necessary paperwork , to a point ....... I still had to go the transito office to get some other paperwork , and they told me that I was not eligible to buy the bike until I completed a lengthy moto course (in Spanish) ...... I talked to the dealer , and he told me that was nonsense , and to go see his mother , who works at a different transito office....... got it done there , with no issues .... this sort of inconsistency seems to be everywhere , with everything ...... the motorcycles here have a type of liability insurance (SOAT) attached to the bike , same for license plates .... but you can purchase separate insurance to cover collision and theft .... of course , there are different levels of this , and I opted for the premium package , at the advice of my girlfriend ..... The bike was actually more expensive here than it would be in Canada ..... the extra insurance I purchased was about on par with what I pay in Canada ...... but the riding is 12 months / year , so I can live with that ...... my 43 years being fully licensed as a motorcyclist in Canada meant nothing ..... I can't speak from experience with the traffic police here , but my girlfriend tells me that bribery is normal here..... and apparently you can ride for 3 to 6 months using your Canadian driver's license along with your passport (they look at the latest stamp for when you entered the country) ....... beyond that , you need to get a Colombian license ..... leaving the country resets the 6 months of eligibility (this is my understanding , not written in stone) .... I do plan to take the course when my Spanish is better ! They also have a PICO Y PLACA program here that means you can't operate your vehicle on city streets on specific days of the month....... this is supposed to help with traffic congestion ....... there are traffic cameras everywhere , for speeding and also for this specific program ..... and you really need to be prepared to be passed on both sides , in extremely close proximity , by scooters , bikes , and cars and trucks ...... it's really intimidating at first , and you cannot change lanes without taking a look over your shoulder and checking your mirrors ...... lots of bikes with 3 passengers, dogs , washing machines , you name it ......... you gotta see it to believe it ....... but riding outside of the city is breathtaking ....... amazing roads , amazing scenery ........ that's where I plan to do the bulk of my riding ....... Cheers, Les
sounds like india, but with less hairy women

Thanks for the open and honest feedback!

Last question, what about health insurance?
Heaven forbid there is an accident or a critical illness strikes, can you get quality medical care?

I know of another GTAM member that spends his Canadian winter months in Ecuador, not sure if he rides there, but he too is a happy camper where he is.
Used to ride with the Widows Sons (not anymore) and the Capt of that group spends his winter's in DR.

Les, your experience has forked out another possibility - thank you again for the share.

Reactions: J_F

Heaven forbid there is an accident or a critical illness strikes, can you get quality medical care?

I know of another GTAM member that spends his Canadian winter months in Ecuador, not sure if he rides there, but he too is a happy camper where he is.
Used to ride with the Widows Sons (not anymore) and the Capt of that group spends his winter's in DR.

Les, your experience has forked out another possibility - thank you again for the share.
No problem at all Chris , I'm learning more every day ! To this point , I'm covered by ohip for emergency situations , and also by my former employer's insurance for most things .... dental is not covered , but from what I've seen , dental work is ridiculously cheap here ... my girlfriend's brother is an orthodontist , and I have already seen him in regards to some dental work ...unbelievably cheap , and the facilities and equipment are as good , if not more advanced , than anything I've seen back home ... he told me that he has a lengthy list of Canadian and American clients that make the trip down for dental work ... and medical insurance can be purchased relatively cheaper (different levels of coverage) than at home .... I haven't experienced firsthand , the need for medical attention , but I'm not too worried about it at this point ... when I gain citizenship, I will purchase medical insurance as well .... hope this helps !
Cheers , Les

guessing that's me

did not have my own bike there
but a friend from MTL that lives there let me ride his from time to time
same as Colombia, the cities are nutso, countryside is fantastic
if it weren't for the Darien Gap I'd ride down there with my current bike

top notch private hospital health insurance with low deductible is $800 for 6 months
this includes covid treatment if necessary, prior to the pandemic it was half that

So another experience in Colombia to pass along .... I got my full M license in Ontario back in 1978 ... can't begin to count how many bikes I've owned since then , but it's a LOT ... haven't received a ticket of any kind in at least 25 years .... 2 months in Colombia , and I received a photo radar ticket for 69kms in a 60 zone .... the amount if I pay right away translates to about $75 Canadian .... but that's if I agree to do a 2 hour course on traffic safety....in Spanish .... my girlfriend told me she got one a few years ago for 3kms over .... incredible .... so I need to learn the locations for these cameras and really take it easy ... and work harder on my Español....
Cheers , Les

So another experience in Colombia to pass along .... I got my full M license in Ontario back in 1978 ... can't begin to count how many bikes I've owned since then , but it's a LOT ... haven't received a ticket of any kind in at least 25 years .... 2 months in Colombia , and I received a photo radar ticket for 69kms in a 60 zone .... the amount if I pay right away translates to about $75 Canadian .... but that's if I agree to do a 2 hour course on traffic safety....in Spanish .... my girlfriend told me she got one a few years ago for 3kms over .... incredible .... so I need to learn the locations for these cameras and really take it easy ... and work harder on my Español....
Cheers , Les
Is there a test in spanish or just watching a two hour video? What is the fine if you don't take the course? I suspect they will have something like waze down there to let you know of photo radar locations.

Is there a test in spanish or just watching a two hour video? What is the fine if you don't take the course? I suspect they will have something like waze down there to let you know of photo radar locations.
My girlfriend's son did the course on my behalf (at the transito's recommendation) and I paid about $25 for that , which is then deducted from the ticket cost .... failing to do this within 11 days , results in the fine being doubled .... I do have Waze on my phone , but the possibility of my phone being stolen is high while in traffic ... I may use it now though , only using voice prompts , while it sits in my pocket .... Different world here , that's for sure !!

Back
Top Bottom