Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 222 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 50.5%

• Total voters
Not sure how this is relevant. However, I'm in the trades and I can say, without any hesitation, that I work an astounding amount more hours to earn that amount, than any police officer. Not to mention the total years worked.

You can look up the pay scales for plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc. in the public sector. Compare apples to apples.

For those who believe public sector workers need to be brought down a few notches... Why not bring "up" the private sector instead?
Or... do they prefer the "race to the bottom" ideology..?

Not sure how this is relevant. However, I'm in the trades and I can say, without any hesitation, that I work an astounding amount more hours to earn that amount, than any police officer. Not to mention the total years worked.
gota get a gig where you work six mths a yr and get paid for twelve. only thing is need to be away from family for 14 days a month

For those who believe public sector workers need to be brought down a few notches... Why not bring "up" the private sector instead?
Or... do they prefer the "race to the bottom" ideology..?
A little thing called profit. Many in the public sector don't understand this. Private sector company's exist to produce profit and they must compete.

We pay our employee's higher then the norm. Small staff but still we provide benefits. Zero staff turnover. But there is a limit. If we go over that limit, we risk becoming unviable. This isn't a concern with public sector positions.

Peel region wants people to call in over last nights shooting but refuse to give a description of the suspects

A little bit of everything here. Two crazy guys threatening people with chainsaws on Cherry beach. Cops do a good job arresting them safely. Then another cop runs up with what I presume is a beanbag shotgun and the need for more training is evident. Watch from 3:15 or so as she points it off to the left while looking right and playing with the strap. She didn't quite sweep her buddies, but she needs a refresher on muzzle control.

It's been my experience that the union(s), however corrupt and slimy they are prevent the gov't from doing a lot of harm.
Keep in mind that those "in charge" within the public sector from say middle management up are for the most part incompetent.

Problem is, much of the "slime" are the union workers themselves, which later get promoted through the ranks.
For example, I know several union workers. One, was put on light duty due to extremely mild lower back pain. He was told to clean a corner of the shop, they did. Then sat down. For 4 days. Eventually the foreman figured it out and assigned another task.

Another, is actively engaged in "who didn't work for the most days" game. Basically, clock in, and avoid doing any sort of work, for the most number of days possible. When the foreman comes around, disappear to the bathroom, off for morning break, do whatever to make yourself scarce. He says current record is 37 days, with *ZERO* reprimand. He's currently at day 28. I'm disgusted by the behaviour, and don't call him a friend, but rather an acquaintance.

*edit* - grammar correction.

A little bit of everything here. Two crazy guys threatening people with chainsaws on Cherry beach. Cops do a good job arresting them safely. Then another cop runs up with what I presume is a beanbag shotgun and the need for more training is evident. Watch from 3:15 or so as she points it off to the left while looking right and playing with the strap. She didn't quite sweep her buddies, but she needs a refresher on muzzle control.

"That's why I'm riding on the Cherry Beach Express..."

Is it normal for bystanders to video themselves picking up and contaminating evidence at crime scenes in toronto? Granted this is a open and shut case but still, kind of a stupid thing to do.

"That's why I'm riding on the Cherry Beach Express..."
A good friend of mine rode the Cherry Beach Express. His girlfriend was bipolar, she called the police who arrested him. When he was going down the stairs at the station, he slipped and tumbled down the stairs. Unfortunately he was handcuffed and had to use his face to slow his decent.

you would think after 11 months of investigating and having enough evidence to be charged the accused would get fired on the spot....oh wait no lets drag it out in the courts and pay them another years salary first. Money well spent.

you would think after 11 months of investigating and having enough evidence to be charged the accused would get fired on the spot....oh wait no lets drag it out in the courts and pay them another years salary first. Money well spent.
At 115K a year for the past bunch of years. Fack. The police services act needs a rewrite pronto. The police shouldn't be persecuted but they should also not be protected well beyond a normal citizen. If there is sufficient evidence to lay a criminal charge, there should be sufficient evidence for professional standards to immediately terminate with cause.

I have no problem with police officers being on paid suspension, while awaiting the results of trial. Police are routinely subjected to false claims.

I do, however, have a problem with such trials and hearings being dragged out for years while accused officers have their lawyers delay so that they can collect money pending a certain guilty verdict, or muddy the waters so badly that the obviously guilty continue to collect hundreds of thousands of dollars that they aren't due (Mahoney-Bruer).

I have no problem with police officers being on paid suspension, while awaiting the results of trial. Police are routinely subjected to false claims.

I do, however, have a problem with such trials and hearings being dragged out for years while accused officers have their lawyers delay so that they can collect money pending a certain guilty verdict, or muddy the waters so badly that the obviously guilty continue to collect hundreds of thousands of dollars that they aren't due (Mahoney-Bruer).
Why should professional standards hearing be delayed until a criminal trial is complete? I have no problem with the results of that process being excluded from the criminal trial but having PS wrap up there work very quickly seems like a simple fix to much of the problem.

Why should professional standards hearing be delayed until a criminal trial is complete? I have no problem with the results of that process being excluded from the criminal trial but having PS wrap up there work very quickly seems like a simple fix to much of the problem.

Because, as I understand it, they cannot be terminated until a guilty verdict has been achieved. At the very least it makes termination a slam-dunk, rather than fighting the union for years. It's hard for a union to stand behind a member who has a criminal conviction. Professional Standards would otherwise likely result in a wrist-slap of some kind; pay docked, promotions deferred, additional suspension without pay (but job intact), etc..

Because, as I understand it, they cannot be terminated until a guilty verdict has been achieved. At the very least it makes termination a slam-dunk, rather than fighting the union for years. It's hard for a union to stand behind a member who has a criminal conviction. Professional Standards would otherwise likely result in a wrist-slap of some kind; pay docked, promotions deferred, additional suspension without pay (but job intact), etc..
That's the part that is messed up. Presumably there is some evidence for them to lay criminal charges. Professional standards should have a much lower bar than reasonable doubt. Present the evidence in a hearing and see what happens. Unions should be happy to have bad cops out before the heat really picks up. You cant keep arguing only a few are bad when you fight tooth and nail to keep them on the job.

That's the part that is messed up. Presumably there is some evidence for them to lay criminal charges. Professional standards should have a much lower bar than reasonable doubt. Present the evidence in a hearing and see what happens. Unions should be happy to have bad cops out before the heat really picks up. You cant keep arguing only a few are bad when you fight tooth and nail to keep them on the job.

It's the unions job to defend their members. If they don't, then why pay dues at all?

Once a conviction is registered, the union is free to step back.

Back
Top Bottom