Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 219 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 50.5%

• Total voters
The 140 to 200 is data from VPD and Toronto (average of total employees used, officers are probably higher than the average). I cited the sources before. Based on discussions with people high in TPS and rural paramedics, there are not many officers working (especially at night, TPS is at ~two officers in many districts). The number of police working is like the Covid hospital problem. Things work well if you only need one or two concurrently, as soon as you need three (or N+1 more generally), it all goes to hell. Police budgets are ~20% of most property tax bills (Toronto, york, simcoe I have looked at before). So if you want more police out to push N+1 higher so you are less likely to bump into it (instead of hitting it almost every shift), you either need to increase the budget or reduce the cost per officer.
We'd need to see how many ems violence related calls come in a year and the response of police to those.

Then start asking why why why why why.

Most areas you could be right, it's only a few specific regions where all the gangs and shootings occur. But Police, Fire and EMS get danger pay because there are inherent risks that they MUST face. All of those other jobs, there are measures and controls in place or if you feel your safety is at risk, you can legally refuse the work without facing repercussions. As an emergency responder, you cannot refuse to work because there your life is at risk, it's part of the job.

Not to mention it isn't just the violence and physical danger but there is a mental strain as well.
None of these jobs are for the faint of heart due to the things you see/smell and the people you encounter.

edit: with all that said, I still think the average salary for police in the GTA is higher than it should be.
I understand your point, however it's not only police. I'd argue a corrections officer faces considerably more risk than a cop, yet they max out at less than 60% of what a cop makes.

You only need grade 12 education to be a cop. My riding buddy's kid just got hired onto a rural force at a starting base salary of $70K (which hits closer to $85K with mandatory stat day work and OT), 4 weeks holidays, 4 day 35 hour work week. 12 bankable sickdays and a gold plated benefit+pension plan that will see the kid with a full pension on her 53rd birthday.

Sometimes I wish I had taken that route.

This has nothing to due with recent events... There are numerous towns, municipalities that have issues with OPP and are looking at not renewing the contracts.
I agree. This is just a push back against the cost of policing relative to the level of service. It sounds like it has nothing to do with any concerns about racism or excessive use of force.

I understand your point, however it's not only police. I'd argue a corrections officer faces considerably more risk than a cop, yet they max out at less than 60% of what a cop makes.

You only need grade 12 education to be a cop. My riding buddy's kid just got hired onto a rural force at a starting base salary of $70K (which hits closer to $85K with mandatory stat day work and OT), 4 weeks holidays, 4 day 35 hour work week. 12 bankable sickdays and a gold plated benefit+pension plan that will see the kid with a full pension on her 53rd birthday.

Sometimes I wish I had taken that route.

For sure. My cousin just started last year in the YRP, pay is crazy. Started lower at ~60k 4 days on 4 days off but they do 10 hour shifts. Mandatory $10k raise a year with a cap at $100k that gets raised if you specialize or go up in rank. He didn't start as high but will probably do over 100k first year from all the paid duty on the side. 4 days, off you just work 2 days and take 2 days off like regular.

Is that the one where they also whacked her pension or a new story? The thin blue line is very thick and it will be hard to penetrate.
Yeah looks like

Another article on the complete waste of money that is the SIU. They barely even pretend that they are relevant anymore.

On April 6, Campbell’s family called Peel Regional Police to their home, as they had done many times in the past, because the 26-year-old was experiencing a mental health crisis.

Campbell’s sister, Michelle, told CP24 her brother had already been hit twice with a stun gun and brought down to the floor before he was shot.

“The subject officer was invited for an interview, but he has not yet submitted to the interview nor has he provided his notes,” The SIU said in a statement Thursday.

Ontario law does not compel the subject police officer in an SIU investigation to submit to an interview or hand over their notes.

Another article on the complete waste of money that is the SIU. They barely even pretend that they are relevant anymore.

On April 6, Campbell’s family called Peel Regional Police to their home, as they had done many times in the past, because the 26-year-old was experiencing a mental health crisis.

Campbell’s sister, Michelle, told CP24 her brother had already been hit twice with a stun gun and brought down to the floor before he was shot.

“The subject officer was invited for an interview, but he has not yet submitted to the interview nor has he provided his notes,” The SIU said in a statement Thursday.

Ontario law does not compel the subject police officer in an SIU investigation to submit to an interview or hand over their notes.
To be fair, they dont make the rules.

As I recall a former director complained constantly about how tied his hands were on the interview process.

To be fair, they dont make the rules.

As I recall a former director complained constantly about how tied his hands were on the interview process.
I agree, ultimately they are hamstrung the same as the police by laws and a justice system that are broken above them.

I suspect the outcome of all this will be increased transparency, particularly into violent and illegal activities. Hopefully the thick blue line that protects bad cops will be thinned out, making it easier for chiefs to remove bad cops from the ranks.

You can’t become a cop if you have a record, should be you can’t stay a cop if you have a record.

You can’t become a cop if you have a record, should be you can’t stay a cop if you have a record.
I'd argue the bar should be much lower than that. I still think a great early step is to allow police services act charges to be dealt with expeditiously with no regard for a potential parallel criminal charge.

And the whole system of complaints and investigations concerning police officers, or police forces, needs to be completely independent of the police, and beyond that, it needs to be seen as being completely independent of the police. No one who has ever been a police officer should be in a voting or decision-making position on these.

Right now, if you file a complaint against a police officer, the local department investigates it ... I suspect, by investigating your complaint into the circular file. The SIU is still seen as police investigating themselves. And they're hamstrung, at that.

Back
Top Bottom