Lane splitting | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane splitting

I tried to alert some people to it, but they usually just look at you with a blank look and carry on.
I contacted the city of Kingston and they don't know what bylaw you're talking about. The closest they could get was that as the hitch is attached to your vehicle, if the hitch is impeding a sidewalk or roadway, you could get ticketed for the vehicle impediment; not just because there was no trailer attached to the hitch. If you have a bylaw number, send it to me, and I'll pursue this further with them. L

I contacted the city of Kingston and they don't know what bylaw you're talking about. The closest they could get was that as the hitch is attached to your vehicle, if the hitch is impeding a sidewalk or roadway, you could get ticketed for the vehicle impediment; not just because there was no trailer attached to the hitch. If you have a bylaw number, send it to me, and I'll pursue this further with them. L
That was it, the tickets happened when the vehicle was parked, I think the person handing out the tickets doesn't like walking into them. If the trailer is attached it wouldn't happen. Can't say I blame them, I know from experience that it really hurts.

I'm hoping they create some motorcycle only lanes or pathways where they are needed :|
I think that is only slightly more likely to ever happen then allowing us to ride between the cars and trucks.

Personally, I'd only do it when cars are stopped at a light or a very slow creep. I'd never take the risks I see on those videos of doing it while riding at the speed limit, especially on the highway. Not for me thank you.

Last time I drove through L.A. I was averaging at or just above the posted speed limit for trailer towing vehicles and motorcycles were blowing by me on the white line at more then the posted speed limit for cars (about a 35 mph. speed differential) We absolutely do not need that, nobody does.

There is an awareness level in California among drivers and motorcyclists that does not exist here. There are also a lot more motorcycles, both civilian and police motorcycles are always present, at least in So Cal. What works there would not work here based on the difference in driver behaviours. It would take years of education, tough enforcement, and even with that the low number of motorcycles might make achieving California's level of driver/rider awareness impossible.

There is an awareness level in California among drivers and motorcyclists that does not exist here. There are also a lot more motorcycles, both civilian and police motorcycles are always present, at least in So Cal. What works there would not work here based on the difference in driver behaviours. It would take years of education, tough enforcement, and even with that the low number of motorcycles might make achieving California's level of driver/rider awareness impossible.

The mentality here has to change as well as awareness. I was stuck on the 407, accident closed all but one lane right after hwy 27 merges on. Dead stop for 10mins so I filtered through at a reasonable speed, didn't even get out of first gear.
I counted at least 4 tractor trailers or landscaping rigs that saw me coming and deliberately turned the wheels to squeeze into my way.
They arent going anywhere so they dont want anyone else to I guess, but why would you want more vehicles clogging up traffic? I didn't hold anyone up or do any dangerous maneuvers. I got through quickly and you have one less bubble being taken up.

It is impossible. People here can't even frigging remember how to drive appropriately when the snow hits the ground every year, heck most people still drive recklessly with rain, no way people would be able to remember motorcyclist exist...

They arent going anywhere so they dont want anyone else to I guess, but why would you want more vehicles clogging up traffic? I didn't hold anyone up or do any dangerous maneuvers. I got through quickly and you have one less bubble being taken up.
its unfortunate but a lot of these people think, if i'm stuck in line waiting, you're going to wait with me. People will go out of there way to stop people like this retard in the pickup

Filtering sounds good on paper but doesn’t really work on most of the downtown streets. My bike is only 28” at its widest and its still tight to fit down the center of two lanes. Most of the cyclists already have drivers trained to leave as much room as possible between their car and the curb. Would make more sense to allow motorcycles to filter like a bicycle does. Limit the speed to 20/25kmh, no passing right turning vehicles on the inside, etc.

Then you have the problem of the guys on 1000lb cruisers with 50+” width clearances thinking they can act like a 300lb sport bike, riders with zero low speed maneuvering ability forcing their way through gaps. I think both drivers and riders aren’t ready for it – too much entitlement on both sides. Everyone loves to bash drivers but some of dumbest **** I’ve seen on the road was by other riders.

On the topic of filtering down a highway during a locked up traffic jam. There is already way too much aggressive lane hopping and “me first” attitude to ever do this safely. If traffic is at a complete standstill allow bikes to ride on the emergency shoulder. Bikes are small enough they can tuck back into traffic should an emergency vehicle need the lane. I’m pretty sure this is the law in one of the southern state IIRC as heat exposure becomes a real risk. I know I’ve gotten close to the point of heat stroke when in full gear stuck sitting on the highway for 30+ mins.

Yes, there will be some growing pain from doing it, but if you keep saying "we are not ready" attitude, we'll never change.

That's why we have 50's subway system still.

Actually no, whenever a new government comes in, the first thing they do is to undo all of the previous government things including filling in a hole the previous government started.... just never works out....

ahahah yesterday had the same aprillia pass me as it was filtering on the way to work and on the way back. (and i think it passed me on the way to work earlier this week as well)
we might say cars aren't ready but the more motos do it, the more people will be aware

Actually no, whenever a new government comes in, the first thing they do is to undo all of the previous government things including filling in a hole the previous government started.... just never works out....
Bah I don't even think they get around to undoing it, the first thing they do is create an assement report and by they time they finish that it's time for a new government....

Yes, there will be some growing pain from doing it, but if you keep saying "we are not ready" attitude, we'll never change.

Martyr on my friend!

I don't have the ability to search for the section of the HTA, that deals with two vehicles occupying the same lane. It could be the charge which would be laid for filtering or splitting. Of course the BIG "hammer" is a S 172 charge.

As for the comment about being able to beat the charge because police bikes ride side by side. Is 100 % wrong. Police, (in fact most emergency vehicles, and operators), are exempted from virtually all sections of the HTA. Side by side riding is done for "operational reasons." Just as you won't beat a charge of distracted driving, because police officers use their cell phones, is also just as false. Again they are exempted from the act. We are not.

There is no law that I know of that specifically outlaws side by side riding, filtering or lane splitting. If charged with an offense, it's likely something safety, or stunt related like careless, failure to yield, stunt driving etc -- there are lots wiggle room for police on those charges.

Side by side riding is a common practice for police motorcycles, I would imagine that would be easy to beat. The other... not so sure

I don't have the ability to search for the section of the HTA, that deals with two vehicles occupying the same lane. It could be the charge which would be laid for filtering or splitting. Of course the BIG "hammer" is a S 172 charge.

As for the comment about being able to beat the charge because police bikes ride side by side. Is 100 % wrong. Police, (in fact most emergency vehicles, and operators), are exempted from virtually all sections of the HTA. Side by side riding is done for "operational reasons." Just as you won't beat a charge of distracted driving, because police officers use their cell phones, is also just as false. Again they are exempted from the act. We are not.

Search the HTA all you want (it's online and is searchable)... You won't find a section that states two vehicles cannot occupy the same lane.

They are not exempt from the HTA all the time.. only under certain circumstances. They can't break laws while just out patrolling..
They're only exempt from the distracted driving, cell phones laws.. when the calls are work related... They can't call their wives when they're driving..

Last edited:
Search the HTA all you want (it's online and is searchable)... You won't find a section that states two vehicles cannot occupy the same lane.

They are not exempt from the HTA all the time.. only under certain circumstances. They can't break laws while just out patrolling..
They're only exempt from the distracted driving, cell phones laws.. when the calls are work related... They can't call their wives when they're driving..
Bro..he's ex police lol...

Police are not exempt from everything, where they are exempt it is usually noted. Specific to the side-by-side and triangle formations they use are stupidly dangerous, they are not prohibited for civilians or cops. The official reason for cops is they can communicate better when riding beside each other, methinks it's just paying respect to their MC cop idols Jon and Ponch. Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom