Lane splitting | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane splitting

If you are already at the front and going away faster than the cages, no net benefit. Suppose it makes the cagers feel better about themselves being 6 feet closer to the intersection....
Don't underestimate the benefit of 6' to a lot of drivers. If you're unsure, jump on the 401 during rush hour, leave an extra 6' between you and the car in front -- see how long it takes for someone to claim that "benefit"

Exactly. Also makes the MC rider look like a good road user, letting them jump to the front. For me it eliminates the chance of some dummy rear ending me.. f%$ the blocking position, this is way safer.
I think I've seen a study on this. Most riders conveniently leave out the second part of the conclusion.
It works really well until you rear end one of the cages in front of you.
Apparently, the number of bikes rear ending cages goes up faster than the number of cages rear ending bikes slows.

Lane splitting in the GTA... are you nuts, drivers barely can signal, you expect them to look into the lane as well.
Good luck with that.

Is there a law regarding lane splitting?
What does someone get ticketed, or charged, for if they get caught doing it?

Is there a law regarding lane splitting?
What does someone get ticketed, or charged, for if they get caught doing it?

Its my understanding there isn’t actually a law stating clearly that you can/cannot lane split however it is widely agreed upon that its illegal. If a cop catches you they can hit you with anything from driving outside a marked lane to stunt driving (aka say goodbye to riding for the foreseeable future).

? improper lane change ?
I wouldn't argue with whatever the cop says when you get caught. Sadly, they can always nail us for a stunt/race riding charge and even if that charge doesn't stick, you still need to go through the court system to plead your case and you lose.

I don't think there is.. I believe two bikes can ride side by side.
I spent like an hour reading the HTA last night. There's no law about it specifically, but you can be dinged for a lot, mostly around doing things in an unsafe manner that is totally up to the cop that sees it.

After reading it, I feel like it's pretty unlikely you should get a ticket for filtering in a slow and safe manner. I'm still not going to do it, or very rarely.

There is no law that I know of that specifically outlaws side by side riding, filtering or lane splitting. If charged with an offense, it's likely something safety, or stunt related like careless, failure to yield, stunt driving etc -- there are lots wiggle room for police on those charges.

Side by side riding is a common practice for police motorcycles, I would imagine that would be easy to beat. The other... not so sure

I spent like an hour reading the HTA last night. There's no law about it specifically, but you can be dinged for a lot, mostly around doing things in an unsafe manner that is totally up to the cop that sees it.

After reading it, I feel like it's pretty unlikely you should get a ticket for filtering in a slow and safe manner. I'm still not going to do it, or very rarely.
It's always up to the cop.

Whether you drive too fast.
Stop "too little" at a stop sign.
Get through the traffic light a little to far into the yellow light

It's a gray area and they can use it as they please.

From the book of faces today RTI

My guess Downtown Core probably will be the pilot zone

d2ee786c1fcd94a32106e59df552d673.jpg

Don't know whether it's gonna be an issue here (as we don't have that many bikes on the roads), but where all the motorcycles suppose to stop when they get to the front? In Europe (Barcelona, Switzerland, etc.) there are special places in front of intersections (marked "Motorcycles") where all bikes can filter to and wait for a green light. Here - cages stop right in front of the stop lines (many times even pass them!) leaving bikes absolutely no space to filter in front of them. Let's assume that more than one bikes stop between the cars. When the traffic starts moving, the second (and other bikes) will be riding between moving cages (essentially, lane splitting), thus breaking the law.

... and what if the pizza delivery guy on your right and the mustang on your left decide to both stomp on it when the light changes. Do we get to race them both for a free lane? or what if people are still making right turns infront of the pizza guy so he actually wants to beat the mustang to the left lane lol. ya it will never work without a dedicated motorcycle lane.

... and what if the pizza delivery guy on your right and the mustang on your left decide to both stomp on it when the light changes. Do we get to race them both for a free lane? or what if people are still making right turns infront of the pizza guy so he actually wants to beat the mustang to the left lane lol. ya it will never work without a dedicated motorcycle lane.
I don't think that matters much -- a Ninja 300 is gonna get 10m ahead and have choice of lanes when pitted against of 99% of the cars on the road.

I don't think that matters much -- a Ninja 300 is gonna get 10m ahead and have choice of lanes when pitted against of 99% of the cars on the road.
What about 2 SS bikes stuck between cars at a traffic light with a scooter in front of them? Unless they make a bike's dedicated space in front of traffic lights (and cages will not occupy it!), like everywhere in civilized countries, I don't see how it's going to work

What about 2 SS bikes stuck between cars at a traffic light with a scooter in front of them? Unless they make a bike's dedicated space in front of traffic lights (and cages will not occupy it!), like everywhere in civilized countries, I don't see how it's going to work
I
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've seen dedicated space in front of lights in California. It works there.

I
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've seen dedicated space in front of lights in California. It works there.

Don't know how it works in California, but I do know that lane splitting is also legal there. In the situation I previously described you'll actually be riding between moving cars (aka lane splitting, not filtering) and that's still going to be illegal. My point is, that they must make a space for bikes in front of traffic lights or allow lane splitting. Otherwise, it will never work. Any cop will be happy to give you a ticket for lane splitting!

Back
Top Bottom