Lane splitting | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane splitting

micelli.i

Lane splitting is legal in a number of European countries, like France. It makes sense, especially during rush hour. in bumper to bumper traffic, when vehicles on the highways are going 20-30 km/h.

Why isn't it legal here?

I think it's because Canada is 18 times bigger and we have less then half the population with only a fraction of us being Canadian motorcycle riders, whereas in France motorcycles are a huge thing for a very long time.

Because the government is way behind on transportation issues (seen the highway congestion lately?) and people already don't see us in the lane.

But we do follow the lead of California a lot so there is hope.

They will need to pilot project it first on somewhere like Adelaide & Richmond or Lakeshore Blvd. if it's ever going to happen.
... probably easier and safer to just install a motorcycle only lane.

They will need to pilot project it first on somewhere like Adelaide & Richmond or Lakeshore Blvd. if it's ever going to happen.
... probably easier and safer to just install a motorcycle only lane.
This was exactly the plan, downtown pilot project.

Dedicated lane would be interesting to see. I take College eastbound for a few km to get into work. With the amount of cyclists using the right hand lane (still don’t understand why this isn’t a bike lane) the other tire track already feels like a motorcycle lane. Would be cool to see a full lane converted to a mixed use “alternative transportation”. With how tight the road is its useless for most cars unless they are going to pass way too closely anyways.

Pick a few:
Nobody here can ride.
Nobody here can drive.
Most multi-vehicle motorcycle accidents are with a left turning vehicle.
Some roads are too narrow.
People here are from all parts of the world and don't all drive/ride the same way.
The lobby group is too small.
It's only a six month non rainy day optional toy for people here.

SUV LAND.

with people who don't know their cars' boundaries.

Seen two different riders almost get taken out this week lane splitting on the 401. One was FLYING, (cars were doing 60K), he was over 100K. thankfully he passed the SUV that made a sudden unsignalled lane change otherwise he would have been spattered over at least 4 other vehicles. Have also seen at elast 4 bikes flying down the shoulder on the 401, (seems to be happening with regularity out in Durham. I suspect we may see some OPP cruisers waiting soon.

SUV LAND.

with people who don't know their cars' boundaries.

its surprising how many people drive tiny cars and cant keep it between the lines as well.
the lanes in most of the GTA are huge and have ample space to split, my daily is a raptor and I don't have issues.
On a daily I see compact and small cars not knowing hot to take turns or even drive straight without crossing or touching lines.

its surprising how many people drive tiny cars and cant keep it between the lines as well.
the lanes in most of the GTA are huge and have ample space to split, my daily is a raptor and I don't have issues.
On a daily I see compact and small cars not knowing hot to take turns or even drive straight without crossing or touching lines.
Oh trust me i see it every time i get on the bicycle to commute. The minivan passes me with plenty of space, the Ford f-150 as well, then the yukon passes me too, tons of space (and half of them even stay WITHIN the lane). Then i get a mini cooper pass RIGHT BY ME even though the furthest i usually will go into the lane is left of the manhole.
Although sometimes that's just people who don't care.

Lane filtering at traffic lights as i see it will definitely increase motorcycle rider safety. Lane splitting in toronto would an eventual death sentence for riders in my opinion considering the quality or lack of quality of Toronto drivers. Cagers just dont pay attention to whats going on around them.

Lane splitting is legal in a number of European countries, like France. It makes sense, especially during rush hour. in bumper to bumper traffic, when vehicles on the highways are going 20-30 km/h.

Why isn't it legal here?

Because cagers don't like you getting in front of them and...

they use the nanny-state "its not safe" lie to get it outlawed.

It's Ontario. If it's fun, it won't be legal for long.

I started doing my own thing a few weeks ago, not really splitting of filtering. If I'm the first to a stop light and heading thru, I'll stop between both lanes. Drivers pull up beside me, a lot of them smile and give me the thumbs up. I can safely blast off and choose my track after clearing the intersection.

I started doing my own thing a few weeks ago, not really splitting of filtering. If I'm the first to a stop light and heading thru, I'll stop between both lanes. Drivers pull up beside me, a lot of them smile and give me the thumbs up. I can safely blast off and choose my track after clearing the intersection.
Interesting concept, I like it, it's totally illegal and you are the guy that is so! going to get nailed if a cop sees it, but I could make it work if it was ok, and my speed limit is 10 k higher then the trucks and cages (y)

If you are already at the front and going away faster than the cages, no net benefit. Suppose it makes the cagers feel better about themselves being 6 feet closer to the intersection....

If you are already at the front and going away faster than the cages, no net benefit. Suppose it makes the cagers feel better about themselves being 6 feet closer to the intersection....
Exactly. Also makes the MC rider look like a good road user, letting them jump to the front. For me it eliminates the chance of some dummy rear ending me.. f%$ the blocking position, this is way safer.

Back
Top Bottom