Lane filtering might become legal.... | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane filtering might become legal....

Again, city council can’t rewrite the highway traffic act, so this is going nowhere unless the province decides to take up the cause.

Did this get bumped due to today’s date?

April 1 ?

With Ontario's free health care, we'll probably never see legal lane filtering ?

With Ontario's free health care, we'll probably never see legal lane filtering ?
Health care is free for you maybe.
My entire family has paid to support the health care system for more then a life time.

Living downtown for 15 years I would see it fairly often when traffic is backed up a fair bit. Usually it was riders going very slowly to move to the front of the line at a red light. They would also use the curb or bike lanes to do it, which I can somewhat understand as long as cyclists get the right of way. Most of the times the cops seem ok with it, but I'm pretty sure I've read on here that a couple members have been charged with HTA172 for doing it.

After I moved out to the burbs I would see it on the 401 and that gets pretty dangerous. Although, now it's not filtering anymore, but lane splitting and most cars are not expecting it and are doing all kinds of stupid things themselves. I've also seen quite a few lane splitting occurrences lead to hard braking by large trucks which I also think is a big no no.

Props to RTI for trying to get this to move forward.

Has anyone here ever been ticketed or charged for lane splitting or filtering?

Does anyone know of anyone that has?

And still.. no one can answer the question.
didnt we? it was either in this thread or another one.

IIRC offhand 'filtering or lane splitting is not even defined in the HTA'. Police charge you with stunting, careless, improper lane change and so on. Most of which would likely stick in court.

personally i thought i recalled seeing something in the HTA about 2 vehicles not occupying the same space in one lane but i was never able to find it again, maybe wishful thinking.

plenty, a few were stunt and 1 careless or unsafe operation (i don't recall now); all found guilty.

Google says:
George Papazov 2008 charged with stunt driving on DVP, charges didn't stand up in court,
was found guilty of making an illegal lane change and fined $600

didnt we? it was either in this thread or another one.

IIRC offhand 'filtering or lane splitting is not even defined in the HTA'. Police charge you with stunting, careless, improper lane change and so on. Most of which would likely stick in court.

personally i thought i recalled seeing something in the HTA about 2 vehicles not occupying the same space in one lane but i was never able to find it again, maybe wishful thinking.

No.. we didn't.

Google says:
George Papazov 2008 charged with stunt driving on DVP, charges didn't stand up in court,
was found guilty of making an illegal lane change and fined $600

Here's the case from one of those blocking/stunting incidents that went viral.

Read the ruling.

If so... I'm gonna bet that all were pled out.. and none were actually fought in court.
yes plead guilty, cop says he saw you do it. done.

do you believe that telling the JP you were ripping it between stopped traffic and not stunting your motorcycle will result in a thrown case?

by the way, dashcam.

Back
Top Bottom