Lane filtering might become legal.... | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane filtering might become legal....

i'm saying numbers do add to the problem, along with driving culture (which is pretty bad here).

in iceland, you'd be VERY hard pressed to hit another vehicle simply because there arent that many on the road. i dunno what 'cities' you visited but outside of rekyjvaik, pretty much every other town is super small.

i cant personally speak for thailand as i haven't been. but one of my riding buddies lived there for years. to describe thailand traffic as 'following road rules' is ludicrous.

Iceland - May be true outside the city, but inside it's flowing traffic like any other. Isn't this what we're talking about here?

Even if i concede the lower population, what's the difference between them sitting in the left like here? I see people in the left lane in the wee hours of the morning on the 401. Barely any cars and they are still in the wrong lane.

Oh, I visited quite a few as my road trip included an entire loop of the island.

Well i'm not sure what your buddy has experienced, maybe stretching things a bit to make a good story.

Closest to date; had some guy threaten to get out of his Mercedes and beat me because i didn't give way to him when his lane was ending. I stuck my camera (chin mounted) in his face and asked him to repeat what he said, he rolled the window up and shrunk down in the seat.
HAHA! God bless go pro's. I have got some priceless reactions on mine :lmao:

Fortunately, the push is to make filtering legal, but nbody is trying to make it manditory. Why be against this? Procede with the caution you do with everything you do on two wheels. You can filter when you feel its a safe place to do so, and not filter when you feel safer at the back of the pack.

p190283_d_v8_aa.jpg

"Lane filtering, not to be confused with lane splitting, allows motorcycles to move between stopped vehicles at an intersection.
The idea is that riders can make their way up to the front of the line and take off before cars do"

Ok I get it now, is a movement to legalize intersection drag racing :rolleyes: I'm totally down for this,
but if I'm second in the motorcycle line and you are infront of me, you better drop the hammer hard because I want somewhere to go when the cars start moving!

We’d need more rider training especially in the GTA.

100% of riders are incompetent.

We’d need more rider training especially in the GTA.

100% of riders are incompetent.

Wait :rolleyes: if 100% of the riders are incompetent, who is going to do the training?

"Lane filtering, not to be confused with lane splitting, allows motorcycles to move between stopped vehicles at an intersection.
The idea is that riders can make their way up to the front of the line and take off before cars do"

Ok I get it now, is a movement to legalize intersection drag racing :rolleyes: I'm totally down for this,
but if I'm second in the motorcycle line and you are infront of me, you better drop the hammer hard because I want somewhere to go when the cars start moving!

Don't you have to logs to ride over?

Seriously anyone would think you've never ridden a street bike downtown.

Here's a newsflash for you, majority of bikes accelerate and maneuver a lot faster than the average car/truck being driven downtown.

It's not a street race dude....

That's the problem, I know exactly what it is to ride downtown Toronto.

Rock
:I like riding like about 12 foot high rocks better and yes, right now would be a very good time before it gets dark, good idea!

That's the problem, I know exactly what it is to ride downtown Toronto.

Rock
:I like riding like about 12 foot high rocks better and yes, right now would be a very good time before it gets dark, good idea!

Sadly I don’t believe you do, otherwise you would be fully supporting this.

It's going to be a motorized Jenga game.Just one more reason to never go near Toronto.

This is the problem I see happening here.

When filtering becomes legal, riders go to extreme to take advantage.
It is legal in Geneva.
When walking on the sidewalk, I do not feel safe, because riders also use the sidewalk in order to filter.

Next thing riders in the GTA will do is think that highway filtering is also legal at 120kph and we will see a sharp rise in rider deaths because of it.

Next thing riders in the GTA will do is think that highway filtering is also legal at 120kph and we will see a sharp rise in rider deaths because of it.

They already do this, go Darwin!

if 140km distance, then my bad.

It is 140KM+ distance. ;)

This is the problem I see happening here.

When filtering becomes legal, riders go to extreme to take advantage.
It is legal in Geneva.
When walking on the sidewalk, I do not feel safe, because riders also use the sidewalk in order to filter.

There seems to be some confusion so here is further clarification for everybody not knowing the difference between filtering and splitting.

Filtering is anything less then 30KMPH.

Splitting is anything above 30KMPH.

That being said, you are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk and you are entitled (on a motorcycle) to pass on a paved shoulder if the vehicle in-front of you is turning or proceeding to turn.

Within regards to drivers getting used to motorcycles, it isn't that big of a problem as many would seem to think because if you look at what has been happening with Cyclists, you'll understand that they filter a lot, including running red lights and cutting off vehicles and this is just a common occurrence in downtown as its been happening for years and only gets worse with each passing year, especially with more cyclists now being out and about due to more encouragement and additional bicycle lanes.

So in some sense, many drivers are used to being passed by a cyclist and having a motorcycle in the mix shouldn't create a problem unless we'd be talking about cyclists vs motorcycle riders in which case, the one with the M drivers license will always give way and pass when safe while the cyclist that probably doesn't even have a drivers license will continue riding their bicycle without any care for the motorists around them.

As far as actual Splitting goes, as I've stated before in the thread, if its illegal, please give specifics other then just stating that its illegal because otherwise, its a gray area regardless if you agree or disagree on how safe it is or if other drivers are ready for such maneuvers to be executed on the road.

I'll reference the charges under the HTA that an officer could possibly decide to charge you with however that doesn't mean it will stick in court if there isn't enough evidence to support such charges and/or if you have good representation to dismiss the case against you altogether.

Failure to maintain lane.
Improper signaling.
Stunt Driving.
Careless Driving.
Reckless Driving.
Racing.
Speeding.

:)

Last edited:
It is 140KM+ distance. ;)

There seems to be some confusion so here is further clarification for everybody not knowing the difference between filtering and splitting.

Filtering is anything less then 30KMPH.

Splitting is anything above 30KMPH.

That being said, you are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk and you are entitled (on a motorcycle) to pass on a paved shoulder if the vehicle in-front of you is turning or proceeding to turn.

Within regards to drivers getting used to motorcycles, it isn't that big of a problem as many would seem to think because if you look at what has been happening with Cyclists, you'll understand that they filter a lot, including running red lights and cutting off vehicles and this is just a common occurrence in downtown as its been happening for years and only gets worse with each passing year, especially with more cyclists now being out and about due to more encouragement and additional bicycle lanes.

So in some sense, many drivers are used to being passed by a cyclist and having a motorcycle in the mix shouldn't create a problem unless we'd be talking about cyclists vs motorcycle riders in which case, the one with the M drivers license will always give way and pass when safe while the cyclist that probably doesn't even have a drivers license will continue riding their bicycle without any care for the motorists around them.

As far as actual Splitting goes, as I've stated before in the thread, if its illegal, please give specifics other then just stating that its illegal because otherwise, its a gray area regardless if you agree or disagree on how safe it is or if other drivers are ready for such maneuvers to be executed on the road.

I'll reference the charges under the HTA that an officer could possibly decide to charge you with however that doesn't mean it will stick in court if there isn't enough evidence to support such charges and/or if you have good representation to dismiss the case against you altogether.

Failure to maintain lane.
Improper signaling.
Stunt Driving.
Careless Driving.
Reckless Driving.
Racing.
Speeding.

:)

Fun fact, at least 2 of those are a road side suspension, vehicle tow and $5k fine if i recall? Never mind the fact you won't see those impound charges refunded even if your case gets tossed. Do tell, how many of these charges would you eat before you stopped performing this 'grey area' maneuver?

Wait :rolleyes: if 100% of the riders are incompetent, who is going to do the training?

If I'd said 99%, then 99% would believe that they were in the 1%.

Perhaps Lee Parks and some of his buds can show us how they do it in California.

My understanding was also filtering between stationary traffic, at about 10kph or so. It will be interesting to see what Toronto comes up with.

They may have to add additional people to the radar traps along those test routes if they still have them there.

Back
Top Bottom