Lake Placid NY | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lake Placid NY

Rocco916

Good day,

I'm looking to make a run to Lake Placid NY next week and would like to know if anyone has any suggested routes that they could share. I would like to stay along the north side of Lake Ontario but I'm not a fan of the 401 so I'm willing to go south of Lake Ontario also. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good day,

I'm looking to make a run to Lake Placid NY next week and would like to know if anyone has any suggested routes that they could share. I would like to stay along the north side of Lake Ontario but I'm not a fan of the 401 so I'm willing to go south of Lake Ontario also. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Canadian superslab or American superslab; you're better off staying north of the lake, then crossing at Gananoque.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=G...yXd5qMsKA&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1&t=h&z=9

Watch out for the State Troopers around Watertown. You're better off stopping in Saranac Lake rather than staying in Lake Placid. It's cheaper.

You could drop down into Prince Edward County for a break along that route - very pretty and short 10 minute ferry ride in one spot.

You can ride most of the way on HWY 2 but it gets a little old and slow after a while.

Pack to make a search easy and have proper ID - there is a certain % that get checked thoroughly ( it's random according to officers - I got checked, buddy did not ) and it takes 1/2 hour at the shortest.
Smile and don't fuss and they can fast track you through.
Make a fuss and you could be there a looooooooong while as they process the wannabe immigrants.

Apparently there is a ferry that is much easier crossing and more fun - have not done it.

There are cheap motels literally just on the other side of the border and nice roads not far down NY State from there.
There are a couple of threads in this forum with routes and pics.

Have fun.

If you are going on a weekend don't take a chance on accommodation - it's a popular area and there are tons of fairs and events going on all the time.

Careful on Whiteface.....first pavement with whoop de doos I've been on. But worth the ride up and there are excellent roads getting to it ( twisties )

Canadian superslab or American superslab; you're better off staying north of the lake, then crossing at Gananoque.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=G...yXd5qMsKA&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1&t=h&z=9

Watch out for the State Troopers around Watertown. You're better off stopping in Saranac Lake rather than staying in Lake Placid. It's cheaper.

To get to Lake Placid quickly then ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ using the 401 (boring I know).

If you have more time then cross at Queenston/Lewiston Bridge and run the 104 along the south shore of Lake Ontario. Once you cross I81 then it changes to 13 and you can start working your way up into the Lake Placid area. We used to stay in Lake George. Run 73 east out of Placid and then pick up 9N south. 9N is a great road!!

We just got back yesterday. Beautiful weather but Lake Placid was packed because of a 100 team Can-Am rugby tournament.

Take Highway 2 or 401 to Kingston, hop the free MTO ferry to get to Wolfe Island, and then the private $7 ferry to get to Cape Vincent NY. Follow the south shore of the St Lawrence east until just past Alexandria Bay, then swing south to pick up a very scenic and curvy NY 3. That will take you straight into Saranac Lake and from there you hop onto 86 to get to Lake Placid and Wilmington. http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=to...iJxPA&mra=dpe&mrsp=3&sz=10&via=1,2,3&t=h&z=10

Alternate route from Cape Vincent to NY 3 takes you away from the St Lawrence but gets you to NY 3 quicker. Your choice, water view or scenic valleys and twisties. http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=to...KzNfnKTDE2oA95riJxPA&mra=mrv&via=1,2&t=h&z=10

The two ferry rides give a nice break to stretch the legs, take in the water sights, and cool off a bit in the river breeze. If you go this route, be sure to check that your trip times mesh with the ferry schedules, otherwise you may be spending the night in Kingston, Cape Vincent, or Wolfe Island.
http://www.wolfeisland.com/ferry.php
http://hornesferry.com/location/schedule/

Cheaper places to stay are in Saranac Lake, but even cheaper places can be found in the fishing lodges and cabins just past Lake Placid in Wilmington NY.

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend you include Lake George in your itinerary. I have been to the area many times but I never tire of it because it is so beautiful. I used to stay in Saranac Lake to save money but most of the lodgings there are no longer a bargain. You can stay right in Lake Placid for a reasonable price if you go during week days. There are even deals to be had during weekends there if you choose the right place. The Northwoods is in the centre of town and only charges $79.00 during week days. There are a couple of highly rated motels a ten minute walk from downtown that can be had for around $100 even during the weekend. A couple that come to mind are The Northway Motel and the Alpine Motel. Last year I stayed at the four star Crowne Plaza during the week for $ 140 a night.

I've never taken the ferry across the St. Lawerence so I can't comment but I alway exit 401 at Ivy Lea bridge to USA, and proceed south on I-81 to #3. There are many way to get to #3. You can even by-pass Watertown easily. I planned a trip to the area for some friends from work who had never been to the area. They just returned and thanked me profusely for directing them to an area that just blew them away. They left last Friday and spent the first night in Watertown. From there they proceeded on #3 and #86 to Lake placid where they stayed for the night. The next morning they took 86 to the top of Whiteface Mountain. Then they followed 86 to 9N and headed for the Chimney Point ferry crossing into Vermont. In Vermont, I had them head north east on 17 through the appalachian gap and Camel's Hump mountain until #100 where they headed south until they reached 125. From there they proceed west of 125 which looped them back to the chimney point crossing of Lake Champlain. They then proceed south on 9N until they got to Lake George. From there they took 9 back to Lake Placid. My friend's comments about the ride were like this. They loved the Vermont portion , 9N, and Lake George blew them away. The mountains around Lake Placid are stunning, but the town underwelmed them. I'd have to agree with their observations.

These are great tips and routes. Any suggestions on camping in the area based on past experiences? We were thinking of heading that way on Labour Day weekend.

If u happen to get lost and is tempted to take the Off-roads, I would not recommend. Ask me how I know

Park Bike at "A" Hungry Trout Restaraunt and walk to "B" Bring your swim trunks ;).
And of coarse you have to ride to the top of Whiteface Mountain.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=NY...aZ-w;&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=h&z=16&lci=bike

Followed your recommendation last year and found that cascading river you mentioned. Although I didn't go swimming, I enjoyed watching a group of teenagers diving from the cliffs. It's really quite beautiful as the water seems to have Whiteface Mountain as its source.

Do tell us, Rocker, how do you know?

We decided to take a short cut to one of the smaller roads. The road seems twisty and fun, but the problem was it became gravel and since we were 40-50kms in, we decided not to turn back. So according to out GPS, the road seems continuous. However, the road began to change from gravel to bumps and rocks. Soon enough, the roads became gated and it became locked. We have to go all the way back on this bumpy gravel road. My sport bike handled like a pig with all the luggage and a sport tuned suspension.

I told myself I would never get off road on that trip. I prefer to turn all the way back.

WOW! Thanks everyone for all your advice. I have to admit i was pleasantly surprised to get so much feedback so fast! I'm going over all the links and reviewing the maps for all the recommendations everyone has made and no doubt will have a great journey. I will post again upon my return hopefully with some great pics.

Thanks again.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I've done the Lake Placid trip twice (Once on the bike and once on the car). Incredible is all I can say. Went through Prince Edward County and took 3 ferries just for fun. The last being from Wolf Island into the states, basically from some guys backyard. Every road in the park is good and the sights are amazing. Check out Tail O' The Pup for some good ribs just outside of Lake Placid. The olympic sites are also pretty cool and you can even do a bobsled run but I've been a week early and a week late so never got the chance. One time we came back via Ottawa and the other I went the long way around Lake Ontario and came back through Buffalo. PM me if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom