Ktm 1090/1190 owners | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ktm 1090/1190 owners

Iceman

Questions for big vtwin ktm owners. I'm hearing alot about the "heat issue" off the rear cylinder.
How much does the heat bother you? Have you taken any steps to improve it and what have you done? What model year do you own?
Thanks in advance guys, the 1090 is a strong contender for my next bike and I'm looking for more than "internet hype". At least here I somewhat know the people whose opinions I'm listening to.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Hey Iceman
I have a ‘18 1090R.

Heat is an issue in stop/go traffic or very tight single track. This bike was not designed for those scenarios.

There are few remedies: Replace rear header with insulated one ($5-600)
or Teflon exhaust wrap...which i am looking at doing.
Some say to modify / get rid of evap & catalyst stuff... apparently helps.

Other than that - this bike (imho) is hands down, BEST all rounder ADV bike i have owned.

Tested AT, Tiger XC, VStrom and GS...nothing is as fun/ responsive as this KTM. I put on about 10K’s since, and so far i rode 50%road and other 50% offroad ( 1 track, 2 track, gravel, mud, sand etc.) 23 L tank i get about 430 Km range.
Service interval is about 15K ( about $100 for oil+filter)

At 520Lbs - wet - it tends to ba a handful on the trails...crash bars are godsend and your fitness must be up to handle/pick up this beast.

Lighter, more dirt oriented alternative is a 790R, but not as comfy or long range travel capable as 1090...

Don’t listen to me - go ahead and visit your KTM dealer and try and see for yourself. Price ( OTD ) should be no more than 15K max. I paid 14k otd for mine at Wheelsport in Ottawa.
happy bike shopping

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Last edited:
Had one of these on my short list previously, however the new Africa Twin has me salivating.

Hey Iceman
I have a ‘18 1090R.

Heat is an issue in stop/go traffic or very tight single track. This bike was not designed for those scenarios.

There are few remedies: Replace rear header with insulated one ($5-600)
or Teflon exhaust wrap...which i am looking at doing.
Some say to modify / get rid of evap & catalyst stuff... apparently helps.

Other than that - this bike (imho) is hands down, BEST all rounder ADV bike i have owned.

Tested AT, Tiger XC, VStrom and GS...nothing is as fun/ responsive as this KTM. I put on about 10K’s since, and so far i rode 50%road and other 50% offroad ( 1 track, 2 track, gravel, mud, sand etc.) 23 L tank i get about 430 Km range.
Service interval is about 15K ( about $100 for oil+filter)

At 520Lbs - wet - it tends to ba a handful on the trails...crash bars are godsend and your fitness must be up to handle/pick up this beast.

Lighter, more dirt oriented alternative is a 790R, but not as comfy or long range travel capable as 1090...

Don’t listen to me - go ahead and visit your KTM dealer and try and see for yourself. Price ( OTD ) should be no more than 15K max. I paid 14k otd for mine at Wheelsport in Ottawa.
happy bike shopping

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Thanks for the info. I picked up a 2018 1090 at the beginning of February (come on spring, come on spring...…..) and I'm REALLY looking forward riding it.
I had a 990 SMT for 7 years and loved it but the 1090 with it's long range and versatility has me excited to get riding.

I have a 1190 and heat is really no big deal. It is no worse that my other big twins.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input guys, it is appreciated. I really want to love the t7, and I do kind of. The power is about the same as my current ride and I'm looking for a bit more oomph. I do ride alot of Muskoka backroad with my son or daughter two up and as they get bigger it just sucks the fun out of the smaller bikes imo.
I want 100ish hp and premium bits. I'm heading to the show this weekend to make up my mind.

I shopped the 1090 last winter and came to the conclusion it's the best thing out there if you plan to do a lot of offroad on a full-sized bike that is touring capable. I've ridden a 1190 and heat wasn't an issue.
Lot's of ADV choices if you just need "backroad capable" in terms of offroad. Vstrom, AfricaT, Tiger 900/1200, Multistrada Adventure. depends how premium you want to go but there's no bad choices :)

Questions for big vtwin ktm owners. I'm hearing alot about the "heat issue" off the rear cylinder.
How much does the heat bother you? Have you taken any steps to improve it and what have you done? What model year do you own?
Thanks in advance guys, the 1090 is a strong contender for my next bike and I'm looking for more than "internet hype". At least here I somewhat know the people whose opinions I'm listening to.

You mean the rear cylinder where the exhaust manifold exits right next to the rear shock? What could possibly go wrong ;)
It's fuel injected, keep the tank topped up or the fuel and tank will get hot too, they all do.
Good luck with that big bike (y)

Your next bike, didn't you place an order for the T7? Have you seen the T7 in person?

It's every bit as premium, and I would say more than the KTM. The finishes on the Yamaha are really well done, the button feels, brembo brakes, etc... I wouldn't say wanting premium bits as a reason to get the KTM. The new 790 is made in China, and seeing it person, the finishes and attention to detail show how KTM always let people user test rather than spend their own R&D, not to mention their backlog of spare parts and lousy customer service not accepting any blame.

Something as basic as the frames cracking on multiple peoples bikes, just from a topbox or light load, isn't what I would call premium.

As for power and suspension, that will be better no doubt on the KTM.

They both own 1090/1190s I believe and compare the bike to it in the end.

Last edited:
I shopped the 1090 last winter and came to the conclusion it's the best thing out there if you plan to do a lot of offroad on a full-sized bike that is touring capable. I've ridden a 1190 and heat wasn't an issue.
Lot's of ADV choices if you just need "backroad capable" in terms of offroad. Vstrom, AfricaT, Tiger 900/1200, Multistrada Adventure. depends how premium you want to go but there's no bad choices :)
I think my problem would be complete exhaustion from trying to ride a giant bike off-road, possibly followed by dehydration and heart attack. Plenty of room in the parking lot for all those ADV bikes, right next to all the other cars and trucks, then you can seriously take a silly little dirt bike dirt biking.

Reactions: J_F
I think my problem would be complete exhaustion from trying to ride a giant bike off-road, possibly followed by dehydration and heart attack. Plenty of room in the parking lot for all those ADV bikes, right next to all the other cars and trucks, then you can seriously take a silly little dirt bike dirt biking.

The big ADV bikes are heavy, esp being north of 500lbs+... Guy at work bought a 990 last year when I was looking at one, he has a lot of dirt/track experience, and has taken it on trails, though says even moving it in the garage is a PIA, he can't even get it on the center stand nor does he see how people rip it in the woods like a 250cc dirt bike. As a 2up bike he loves it.

However not all ADV bikes sit in a parking lot, they are alot of people that ride them to hell and use them for their intended purpose, even Dakar Rally Bikes weigh north of 420lbs+ all wet, and everyone from rookies to pro's race them and complete just fine. There are ADV bikes, then Rally raid bikes, then Dirt bikes, then your Trials and lastly a bicycle, each has its place, audience and purpose.

228fa0d7a356b6285a3225136746ca95.jpg

Heck the Original tenere was heavier than what is out now, and that's full Rally sepc, it did just fine for many, even non-pro's when it came to market.

No desert around here, just trees and rocks and lakes and swamp and rivers for hundreds of miles.

... I think you might find people are destroying the rear sub-frame on those bikes by getting them stuck in mud and then attempting to have 3 guys push or lift the bike out of the mud.

No desert around here, just trees and rocks and lakes and swamp and rivers for hundreds of miles.

... I think you might find people are destroying the rear sub-frame on those bikes by getting them stuck in mud and then attempting to have 3 guys push or lift the bike out of the mud.

People aren't riding these bikes the way you ride your Trials bikes. There's also plenty of hwy's and BDRs to explore around here and North America. There's even the Dacre Rally and Overland Rally which these ADV bikes have a class for and do just fine.

People want to ride them go for it! Would be a hoot on a desert. I just don't see riding on dirt roads, quad tracks and fire roads as riding off-road.
Lets be real that any one of these huge bikes would be as useless off-road as a jeep.

The ape was more than a handful offroad and wasnt comparable to a dirt bike. Long travel suspension on our terrible pavement though? Two very big thumbs up. It was really hard to upset it no matter how big the potholes/pavement cracks were. I like bikes that let me explore wherever I want but I dont mind accepting some limitations. The big bikes are much happier cruising through the woods than riding it like you stole it.

Your next bike, didn't you place an order for the T7? Have you seen the T7 in person?

It's every bit as premium, and I would say more than the KTM. The finishes on the Yamaha are really well done, the button feels, brembo brakes, etc... I wouldn't say wanting premium bits as a reason to get the KTM. The new 790 is made in China, and seeing it person, the finishes and attention to detail show how KTM always let people user test rather than spend their own R&D, not to mention their backlog of spare parts and lousy customer service not accepting any blame.

Something as basic as the frames cracking on multiple peoples bikes, just from a topbox or light load, isn't what I would call premium.

As for power and suspension, that will be better no doubt on the KTM.

They both own 1090/1190s I believe and compare the bike to it in the end.
I do have a t7 on order, just not sure it's what I want. By premium I mean the suspension, hydraulic clutch, power etc. Ktm does offroad right, even on the big bikes. I still like the t7, hence why I'm going to the show to see it again in person and make a final decision.
I also don't want to wait until June to ride again.

My MV Agusta is pretty good on my rough gravel road drive, I just just get up on the pegs a little, point and shoot, slow to first gear for the sharp turn corner at the bottom of the hairpin turn climb, then point and shoot again :| Big wide soft compound radial ply motorcycle tires on powerful 400 pound bike is not too shabby ;) you might not want to try and keep up to it on my road, there is a couple places where it is easy to catch air.

I do have a t7 on order, just not sure it's what I want. By premium I mean the suspension, hydraulic clutch, power etc. Ktm does offroad right, even on the big bikes. I still like the t7, hence why I'm going to the show to see it again in person and make a final decision.
I also don't want to wait until June to ride again.

Some here may show a snooty view on what they consider offroad but for the backroads riding you stated you can't go wrong with the listed choices. I'd want the 900cc+ bike if I'm doing 2up at all.
Pick the power and available feature bike that meets your requirements and have fun :)

I would say just get a 1090/1190 over the T7. They can be had for under $10k used now, and wait for some used T7's in a year or 2, save money, and try both. That said not sure where you placed your T7 deposit, though it was a $500 non-refundable one from VOS when I placed it.

People want to ride them go for it! Would be a hoot on a desert. I just don't see riding on dirt roads, quad tracks and fire roads as riding off-road.
Lets be real that any one of these huge bikes would be as useless off-road as a jeep.

All those listed are off the road, not off-road to you is subjective, again, it's not a Trails bike, none of these are. I ride in Ganaraska, and on majority of those trails have no problem taking the T7, I wouldn't take my buddies 990, it's out of my comfort zone. For 2-up, I think the 70hp is more than adequate, for anything actually, esp since you mentioned kids. I would just say the T7 has a plank of a seat and isn't made for 2-up. I use the CB500X for 2 up I have now, and is no issue even touring

Back
Top Bottom