Knee pain when riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Knee pain when riding

mathan

Hey guys so I have started taking my New to me Ninja 250 for some short spins and I noticed my right knee starts to get irritated and I feel pain. I did have an injury on my right knee about 8 years ago. I knew the ninja 250 is a smaller bike before I bought it. Im 6' and a larger body build. Bought this bike just as a learner/first bike. Also it was one of the bikes that fit the budget. (buying price and insurance)

My question to everyone, would you consider the ninja 250 to have an aggressive seating position. I have only ridden the cbr125 for the M1X course and now the ninja 250. To be specific its a 2004 Ninja 250. I have nothing else to compare the seating position to.

Would you be able to recommend a bike that is more ergonomically friendly on the knees? I really do not like cruisers much but I would not mind a sport touring.This would help me chose my next bike wisely. I will not be getting my next bike for another 1 or 2 seasons though.

Appreciate any input.

I would say the Ninja 250 has a relatively relaxed riding position.

You can compare bikes quite easily here: http://cycle-ergo.com

Try something like an FZ09 or other such bike.

You can also purchase drop pegs, which will help straighten your legs a bit.

Hey guys so I have started taking my New to me Ninja 250 for some short spins and I noticed my right knee starts to get irritated and I feel pain. I did have an injury on my right knee about 8 years ago. I knew the ninja 250 is a smaller bike before I bought it. Im 6' and a larger body build. Bought this bike just as a learner/first bike. Also it was one of the bikes that fit the budget. (buying price and insurance)

My question to everyone, would you consider the ninja 250 to have an aggressive seating position. I have only ridden the cbr125 for the M1X course and now the ninja 250. To be specific its a 2004 Ninja 250. I have nothing else to compare the seating position to.

Would you be able to recommend a bike that is more ergonomically friendly on the knees? I really do not like cruisers much but I would not mind a sport touring.This would help me chose my next bike wisely. I will not be getting my next bike for another 1 or 2 seasons though.

Appreciate any input.

Good luck, OP.. I played hockey all my life and my right knee is about the only place I NEVER DID HURT.... yet, on the bike it is giving me problems, after being in the same position for a long time. I can't believe it, really... It will surely be the cause of me getting another bike, but ... hopefully I can delay that.

I have a zzr250 which is similarly setup. It's really not too bad - a little tighter than my VFR, but really not by much. You might be able to get peg lowering blocks for it but at 6' you are pretty much finding what you will be experiencing by riding this style of bike (assuming you have a 32+ inseam).

There are a few alternatives (FZ6, 650R) which will open things up for you, but we are talking a couple inches. You may want to look at standards (triumphs, NX700) or an adventure type setup as both change the triangle up a bit (rather than feet back and tucked).

Yeah, old damaged knees are a pita!

Coming from someone who had a VERY serious knee injury around 4 years ago (destroyed patella, multiple surgeries) I still find it uncomfortable to sit in certain positions for extended periods of time. This factored in greatly when deciding to get back into riding, and what style of bike to get.

Personally, I think a more upright riding position would put less stress on your injury (common sense) and what SlowMo said, look into adjustments on your model.

I haven't had any problems on short rides, but I'm personally concerned about touring.

You on the other hand, say you're having pain with even short rides. You might want to look into a cruiser, legs out front. I can't imagine anything less is going to make a difference on long trips.

good luck.

are you out of shape?
if so, work out your quads.

I play basketball on a weekly basis. My knee started to hurt like 2 years ago? Then I started to work out. My knee pain does not occur anymore when I play after regularly working out my quads.

Last edited:
are you out of shape?

I play basketball on a weekly basis. My knee started to hurt like 2 years ago? Then I started to work out. My knee pain does not occur anymore when I play after regularly working out my quads.

Actually for knee pain its better to work on your hamstrings and glutes. They are much weaker than your quads. At least thats what the physio told me after I injured my knee the second time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Check the Ninja 250 forums for peg lowering options, as well as adjusting seat height.

How comfortable on the bike are you? When I was on a bike with a poor seat to peg ratio, I'd move around on the seat to relieve the pressure. Are you moving your feet on the pegs? Toes on the peg, ball of the foot on the peg etc?

You could always throw a leg over some dual sport bikes with taller seat to peg ratios, as well as looking at other bikes with a more neutral riding position, like adventure touring and sport touring.

What gear are you riding in? If leathers, sometimes those can cause knee pain just by the pant being tucked too far into the boot. Give yourself a little slack. Otherwise, as mentioned above, look into an FZ or similar. At 6', the 250 may be a bit small for us tall guys. Good luck.

I also get knee pain and have never had any serious knee injuries. Not sure why. Also, I went from a Ninja 650R (fairly large bike with relaxed, fairly upright riding position) to an Aprilia RS125 (tiny bike, sporty position) and found it to be no better/worse on my knees.

I wouldnt say im out of shape but im not in the best. I do work out 4 times a week and also play basketball. My knee used to be a lot worse when I was a lot heavier. I have managed to shed about 35 lbs in the last 6 months which helped. Still going at it trying to lose another 35lbs or so.

I work out all parts of my legs knowing it will help my knee. Its some work in progress.

Hopefully it will be better once I lose a bit more weight.

Actually for knee pain its better to work on your hamstrings and glutes. They are much weaker than your quads. At least thats what the physio told me after I injured my knee the second time.

are you out of shape?

I wouldnt say im out of shape but im not in the best. I do work out 4 times a week and also play basketball. My knee used to be a lot worse when I was a lot heavier. I have managed to shed about 35 lbs in the last 6 months which helped. Still going at it trying to lose another 35lbs or so.

I work out all parts of my legs knowing it will help my knee. Its some work in progress.

Hopefully it will be better once I lose a bit more weight.

Yeah that might help.

My advice: one legged deadlifts are a great hammy+glute workout. If you can work it into your routine it should help. (Speaking from experience)

I am not too comfortable on the bike considering the size of the bike, but i didnt expect it to much more comfortable than it is. I will try moving around on the bike. The uncomfortableness in the knee is bearable. I am not in really bad pain or anything. I may just be over thinking it. I have not been on the streets yet with the bike. I have only been on the residential streets getting a feel for the bike as its my first. I will be riding on the streets as of this weekend. I will try changing my foot position.

Check the Ninja 250 forums for peg lowering options, as well as adjusting seat height.

How comfortable on the bike are you? When I was on a bike with a poor seat to peg ratio, I'd move around on the seat to relieve the pressure. Are you moving your feet on the pegs? Toes on the peg, ball of the foot on the peg etc?

You could always throw a leg over some dual sport bikes with taller seat to peg ratios, as well as looking at other bikes with a more neutral riding position, like adventure touring and sport touring.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Have a look at some dual sports eg. Suzuki DR-Z 400, and/or some "Adventure" bikes like the Suzuki Vstrom, Kawasaki Versys, etc.

What gear are you riding in? If leathers, sometimes those can cause knee pain just by the pant being tucked too far into the boot. Give yourself a little slack. Otherwise, as mentioned above, look into an FZ or similar. At 6', the 250 may be a bit small for us tall guys. Good luck.

I was wearing just regular jeans, with motorcycle boots. Now that I think about it when i rode without the boots i didn't feel the pain in the knee! I'm not sure if the boots can be causing this. Do you guys think? The boots I was wearing was is this one. http://www.bikebiz.com.au/product_i...d__21035.1376682356.1280.1280__83474_zoom.jpg

And ya after a season or two i am definitely going to upgrade for something bigger that;s more suitable for a 6' guy lol

and wow the FZ looks sexy! I wouldn't mind that.

I also get knee pain and have never had any serious knee injuries. Not sure why. Also, I went from a Ninja 650R (fairly large bike with relaxed, fairly upright riding position) to an Aprilia RS125 (tiny bike, sporty position) and found it to be no better/worse on my knees.

The ninja 650R is what I was anticipating on getting next. Ill be sure to do some test rides before buying my next bike. I picked up the ninja 250 in the middle of winter so i didn't get a chance to test ride it.

Back
Top Bottom