Kijiji people are evil | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kijiji people are evil

happycrappy

Site Supporter
Sigh, nothing new here but a mild rant of sellers - "bike is mint, but there is no maintenance done, tires are older than dirt, and I still want top dollar". Gone to see a bunch of bikes this week, and every one has the extra surprise that they hide after a few conversations prior to the visit. Anyone selling a clean older valkyrie interstate?

Same can be said about some buyers. I've listed my ninja 300 for what I feel is a fair price based on condition, km and what others have listed theirs for. Had one guy ask if I would rent it to him for a few days first, when I said no he cursed me and said he hoped I never sell it. Another guy offered me less than the cheapest one online, which looked like it was good for parts only. And many many more...no shows, M1 riders who haven't even taken the exit course yet wanting to "take it for a rip", ridiculous offers without even seeing the bike, etc, etc...

Don't mean to jack your rant thread, it just triggered my own lol.

Same can be said about some buyers. I've listed my ninja 300 for what I feel is a fair price based on condition, km and what others have listed theirs for. Had one guy ask if I would rent it to him for a few days first, when I said no he cursed me and said he hoped I never sell it. Another guy offered me less than the cheapest one online, which looked like it was good for parts only. And many many more...no shows, M1 riders who haven't even taken the exit course yet wanting to "take it for a rip", ridiculous offers without even seeing the bike, etc, etc...

Don't mean to jack your rant thread, it just triggered my own lol.
I'll sometimes make offers without seeing the object, but the way I see it, I am saving people time. Say I want a ninja 300 for $3000 max and you want 3500. My price is not unreasonably low, but you may decide to hold out for more and I may decide to hold out for a cheaper one. Wasting everyones time with a meeting when there is very little likelihood of agreeing on price isn't my thing.

As for the people that offer you $50 and a bag of chips, I just look at them the same as scammers. They send out thousands of crazy offers and if 1% hits they have made money. I just ignore them if they are too low. If they are low but in the ballpark (say $2500 for a 300) I would email them back saying that $3000 was the lowest I would go, if they can't hit that number, thanks for the interest and good luck in your search.

Nobody is riding anything of mine unless I have the full purchase price in my hand.

Sigh, nothing new here but a mild rant of sellers - "bike is mint, but there is no maintenance done, tires are older than dirt, and I still want top dollar". Gone to see a bunch of bikes this week, and every one has the extra surprise that they hide after a few conversations prior to the visit. Anyone selling a clean older valkyrie interstate?

Its always like that, they conveniently forget to mention or omit certain information, if your lucky they'll spill the beans when you start probing

But you have all the information you would need to file a lawsuit so...maybe just casually mention it while looking it over?..
it'll probably cost more money to sue than it will to fix whatever little issue you find on the bike so its probably not worth it.
Plus the judge may or may not side with you

Last edited:
never really had a problem buying used bikes where kijiji is the point of contact
but I never waste time going to look unless there's been a detailed email/phone conversation
if the seller is unable or unwilling to answer my detailed maintenance and condition questions
I don't go....so this typically means I'm dealing with mature sellers = good maintenance

Just dont get emontionally invested. There are kijidiots around every corner, if buddy sends you an offer at 50% of ask, just deleat you dont have to engage.
If your shopping ask lots of questions, if somebody stops answering because your asking too many, you dont want whatever they are selling.
Not everybody is a salesman and not everyone is a buyer.

My not so humble opinion, if somebody posts an ad with 'not the actual bike' in the photo or a claim of never dropped with a huge ding in the side, unmolested with an aftermarket exhaust and the famous ecu flash by parking lot dude with a phone app, they may be too stoopid for me to do business with. ymmv.

I'll sometimes make offers without seeing the object, but the way I see it, I am saving people time. Say I want a ninja 300 for $3000 max and you want 3500. My price is not unreasonably low, but you may decide to hold out for more and I may decide to hold out for a cheaper one. Wasting everyones time with a meeting when there is very little likelihood of agreeing on price isn't my thing.

As for the people that offer you $50 and a bag of chips, I just look at them the same as scammers. They send out thousands of crazy offers and if 1% hits they have made money. I just ignore them if they are too low. If they are low but in the ballpark (say $2500 for a 300) I would email them back saying that $3000 was the lowest I would go, if they can't hit that number, thanks for the interest and good luck in your search.

Nobody is riding anything of mine unless I have the full purchase price in my hand.
I can appreciate that mindset, and wouldn't have an issue with that kind of offer. I've had a few but respectfully declined because I don't need to sell and want to hold out for more. I don't think my asking price is unreasonable based on others I see for sale, but value is perceived and if I can't get what I'm asking then I need to reevaluate.

My problem is with the "1500 cash today" offers without actually seeing the bike. Unfortunately there are many more of the latter than the former lurking Kijiji.

Well, the struggle was worth it. The one Valkyrie was owned by a nice dude, but honestly I don't think he even knew how to maintain a bike, so bullet dodged. Came home with a very clean GL1800 wing instead. Was looking at wings originally, just didn't fit very well on the 1500.

Attachments

• wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 78
I find all too often you get someone who throws out a price and I am OK with it. I talking about $500 under asking. I agree and say "I am good with this". This is when it gets interesting and unfortunately very normal. One group will say the can come over and pick it up. I will respond with let's have a phone call and send your number - they don't. Others will send hundreds of message wanting hundreds of photos. I respond, answering their questions and sending photos. Still, they don't want to talk on the phone. The last group will say (most ofter if I am selling a part) I am interested and would like to come over. I say not a problem, usually, they request to come over at night or during the day and can only be there at a certain time. Then at the time, they agreed to come over they don't or I get a message that they can't make during the week (even after they have confirmed they are coming over). Then there is the last group who will send a message saying my name is, my phone number is and I would like to learn more. For these, I will bend over backwards to answer any of your questions. You have people that know what they want, know what they want to pay and want to learn more. Then you have others that just like to play games. A simple way to deal with it is in the ad is to clearly state "if" you are interested send me your phone number and name and I will call you. Once I started doing this all the lower ballers and idiots went away.

Gave up on selling my bike on Kijiji and traded it to the dealer I was buying from after dealing with a few. But sold all of my BMW accessories on Kijiji and those were all positive exchanges.

I've both bought and sold bikes on kijiji.

If you are selling - state you are not entertaining offers and that your price is firm. pick your fair price and stick to it.

If you are buying - If you look at a bike that you want, but the price is too high - make your offer. If the seller balks and says no; simply tell them to try and get what they want for the bike; then write down your firm offer on a card along with your name and telephone number and ask them to give you a call if they change their mind. Its effective and insults no one. Ive gotten calls back within a day or three -and bought a couple biikes with this method.

that's par for the course when it comes to kijiji, but its pretty easy to navigate around idiots when you know what to expect.

when selling i never respond to msgs that offer a price before seeing the bike, people that are interested and serious will generally ask a few questions and then come to see the bike.

when buying I'll usually ask if the price is negotiable, and then show up with cash and negotiate a good deal if I like what I see.

As much as the normal kijiji sellers/buyers are an annoying waste of time, just be thankful you didn't run into Dellen Millard. It can be much worse.

Good luck in your search. I always thought valkyries were cool beasts.
I take my 4yr old grandson to Waterloo airport now and then. The Runway Cafe is a great spot for breakfast and to watch the schools Cessnas come and go. The huge Millard hanger is at the North end of the airport where the bodies were disposed of.
A grim reminder of the past that i hope we can forget about.

Selling and buying has always been this way. Even when the ads were only in the newspaper classifieds. Scammers on each side trying to play games, rip you off, beat down your price, dreamers, liars, crooks, jerks. You have to have a way of dealing with it, like everything else in life.

Just dont get emontionally invested. There are kijidiots around every corner, if buddy sends you an offer at 50% of ask, just deleat you dont have to engage.
If your shopping ask lots of questions, if somebody stops answering because your asking too many, you dont want whatever they are selling.
Not everybody is a salesman and not everyone is a buyer.

My not so humble opinion, if somebody posts an ad with 'not the actual bike' in the photo or a claim of never dropped with a huge ding in the side, unmolested with an aftermarket exhaust and the famous ecu flash by parking lot dude with a phone app, they may be too stoopid for me to do business with. ymmv.

Bingo.
Well said @crankcall

Selling on kijiji is a NIGHTMARE, especially if you havent completely lost your faith in decent human beings and assume that others should behave the way you would...That being said there is that 0.000001% of decent people on kijiji but you need to be patient.

With my first bike i had to go through some very rough experiences but in the end sold it to a very nice guy.

On the other hand when i bough my second bike on kijiji i didnt give the seller any hard time.

Easy enough to navigate kijiji. I look in the background of photos and if it looks sketchy they likely didn't spend money on maintenance. Stupid stickers on bikes (energy drinks, metal mulisha, etc) I filter out. Same for bad spelling (u instead of you for example). If they sound like idiots on the phone I don't waste my gas going.
Sold my bagger for $18k this Spring on kijiji when dealer only offered me $10k. Just delete any emails immediately that sound like tire kickers.

Actually I sold a bicycle carrier on kijiji today to a guy that liked our house and inquired about buying since we're selling next year it just might work out well.

I spend a lot of time trolling on the interwebs so the rookies on kijiji dont bug me at all.
There are telltale signs to look for when looking at bikes to weed out the real bad ones

Buyers and sellers always play this game....just easier with it going online.

when I was looking for my Rebel I had a firm number in mind. When I saw one I liked I always said “if the bike is in as good condition as it looks online my price is $5500” most people shrugged it off, except one guy. He countered, I said no, and he sold it to me for $5500. I went to see it, bike looked mint and I kept my word. This just doesn’t waste my time or theirs if we’re too far apart on price.

as for selling, I’m upfront “here is my bottom price” when they ask for best price. I rejected a guy for $100 less, but sold for my asking the next morning.

it’s a game, enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom