Kawasaki to introduce Ninja ZX-4R! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki to introduce Ninja ZX-4R!

Can someone tell me what

NINJA ZX-10R-STYLE
REAR SUSPENSION

is and why it's in capitals like its a BIG DEAL SELLING FEATURE? lol

It uses the same general linkage layout as the ZX10R, with the shock leaning steeply forward from a linkage that is actuated up and down by the top of the swingarm, with a tension rod connecting the front of the link to the frame below the swingarm. It's a different layout from the historical Uni-Trak layout that has the shock nearly vertical with the linkage underneath.

I suspect that one motivation for this, is to free up space underneath the bike for catalysts and additional muffler volume.

As for the capital letters ... marketing's gotta market it.

The text on the Kawasaki Canada site has been updated to say "The Ninja ZX-4R and Ninja ZX-4RR have a maximum RPM of 11,500 rpm in Canada due to noise regulations."

Some unsubstantiated rumours, including that Graves already has an unrestricted ECU flash for it:

The text on the Kawasaki Canada site has been updated to say "The Ninja ZX-4R and Ninja ZX-4RR have a maximum RPM of 11,500 rpm in Canada due to noise regulations."

Some unsubstantiated rumours, including that Graves already has an unrestricted ECU flash for it:

80hp out of an i4 400cc is a nice figure with just an ecu flash

Being limited to 11.5K RPM is quite a haircut. And if that's correct, that is absolutely irreconcilable with Canadian bikes still having 70HP

Being limited to 11.5K RPM is quite a haircut. And if that's correct, that is absolutely irreconcilable with Canadian bikes still having 70HP

Maybe the dealer/rep/guy-who-knows-a-guy thought Canada was in Europe, or was just making stuff up. The Kawasaki France site has 77hp (80 with ram air) and 15000+ rpm listed in their front-page blurb.

Sounds like we're opening up a business smuggling Kawi ECUs south of the border.
If you bin it on the street, make sure to smash the dash. I assume the redline will move when uncorked and that is a trivial check for insurance to avoid paying.

If you bin it on the street, make sure to smash the dash. I assume the redline will move when uncorked and that is a trivial check for insurance to avoid paying.
nah just flash it back before calling in 😁

nah just flash it back before calling in 😁
How is bike flashing done these days? I was under the impression that some were still send to guru and they replace a chip and/or flash what you have. Are some flash through a port while in the bike now?

How is bike flashing done these days? I was under the impression that some were still send to guru and they replace a chip and/or flash what you have. Are some flash through a port while in the bike now?
yeah, my S1000XR is flashed and i bought the hand held device to map it. just plug into the 'ODB (whatever)' port under the seat. turn bike on, flash. bike on/off a few times and you`re done.

if you don't spring for the hand held ($500-800) then you`re looking at shipping or buying the ECU. Downside to flasher is its locked to that bike unless you know the code to unlock it or ask the vendor you bought it from to free it up. Typically they will charge you $300-500 to remap.

fun fact, every time you take your BMW to the dealership for service they will connect to the mothership to review any software updates. They can't tell what flash is on there, but they can see how many times its been done. Playing it safe and go back to stock before sending it in, or expect to flash it when you get it back in case they overwrite what was there.

fun fact, every time you take your BMW to the dealership for service they will connect to the mothership to review any software updates. They can't tell what flash is on there, but they can see how many times its been done. Playing it safe and go back to stock before sending it in, or expect to flash it when you get it back in case they overwrite what was there.
Flashing it back won't help you. They will know the flash counter is wrong and they normally record date/time of last flash as well. They know if you've been monkeying. Some manufacturers remove the call from the dealer. If ECU connects to mothership and info doesn't line up with what manufacturer expects, VIN gets flagged and powertrain warranty is void. Only ways to avoid it are not flashing or never letting vehicle talk to mothership.

Flashing it back won't help you. They will know the flash counter is wrong and they normally record date/time of last flash as well. They know if you've been monkeying. Some manufacturers remove the call from the dealer. If ECU connects to mothership and info doesn't line up with what manufacturer expects, VIN gets flagged and powertrain warranty is void. Only ways to avoid it are not flashing or never letting vehicle talk to mothership.
not quite the story i got from the tech, we have a good relationship so i feel like he was honest with me..but who knows.

case in point, buddy had a flashed S1KRR, motor blew. He flashed it back and shipped it to BMW, covered under warranty and fully replaced.

not quite the story i got from the tech, we have a good relationship so i feel like he was honest with me..but who knows.

case in point, buddy had a flashed S1KRR, motor blew. He flashed it back and shipped it to BMW, covered under warranty and fully replaced.
That's good to know. It is obviously a manufacturer decision on what to do with the info. My point was flashing it back shouldn't help you if the manufacturer has half a brain and wants to avoid spending money on something you potentially broke. Just because someone got away with it yesterday doesn't mean someone will get away with it today. Pay to play. Now, given the power bump possible when uncorking some engines, many people may decide that is a reasonable risk to take.

I believe with some Yamahas you can change maps with your smart phone.
Others, like Kawasaki, have a port with a special hookup fitting to a laptop.
Triumph has a standard automotive port.

Back
Top Bottom