Kawasaki to introduce Ninja ZX-4R! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki to introduce Ninja ZX-4R!

Light cYcLe

Surprised to see there isn't a thread on this yet. So here it goes & lets talk about it.

The Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R - A small capacity, high revving, I-4 with 75-80Hp output, super-sport bike --> what's not to like in that. Going by videos of the ZX25R available in Asian markets, this is going to be one sweet sounding motor. Definitely one of the most exciting launches of the year.

What do you guys think the price point would be in Canada? I reckon it will be around $10,000-$11,000. Priced between Ninja 650 & ZX6R, similar strategy used currently for the ZX25R as well. With the Aprilia RS660 @ $13,995, if Kawasaki manages to price this one close to or sub-$11k the ZX-4R should do well.

Kawasaki Poised To Introduce ZX-4R Supersport In 2023

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R launch ready: Return to the golden age of 400s is on the cards

So they are ressurecting the zxr400 20+ yrs later... they were great little bikes back in the day. Hope it works for kawasaki.

A lot of speculation around some patent filing. Believe it when I see it.

Also, "Return to the golden age"? More like the swan song of I4 ICE's before electric replaces everything.
Couldn't agree more on the swan song! As matter of fact, one article read that Kawasaki is to unveil the ZX-4R and 2 electric motorcycles together at EICMA this year

Beautiful bike bold move for Kawasaki but such a niche bike its a shame that there is just no demand for a serious small displacement sport motorcycle in North America.

Will it show up here, and if it does how many $$$ ?
Don't hold your breath.

Beautiful bike bold move for Kawasaki but such a niche bike its a shame that there is just no demand for a serious small displacement sport motorcycle in North America.

Just like the 1990s 250cc I4s, these'll make great future grey market imports.

If someone in NA really wants one, there'll always be a Nuak to cater to them. For a price, of course...

Honda apparently made 250 HP on a 250 cc inline four back in the day - it was a bench motor made to see if they could actually squeeze 1 HP per cc. :eek:
Always wondered what the damn thing sounded like.
I do love inline4 motors and always wanted one of the Vtec CB400s Honda sold. I came close here as they were a stock item in Australia and I still see them around once in a while but still twice the price I paid for the CB300F.
Not sure the new offering will succeed in North America....if it's LAMs approved in Australia and Europe it might and with high fuel prices that adds appeal as well.
Perfect bike in Japan for the boy racers. Like the shorty exhaust.
1660081068534.png

Arrival of the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R, an inline-four-cylinder 400cc bike, is confirmed. The registration of the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the supersport has come to the surface, revealing that it will be available in two variants.

Powering the upcoming fully faired bike by team green will be a four-stroke, inline four-cylinder engine displacing 399cc. While there’s no word on the power and torque outputs yet, we can expect Kawasaki to bless it with around 70PS. For perspective, the four-cylinder Ninja ZX-25R’s 249.8cc mill produces 49.9PS at 15,500rpm and 22.9Nm at 14,500rpm. Similar to the ZX-25R, expect the ZX-4R to get a high-revving engine with power band perched at the top of the rev range.

wonder what insurance will be??

Arrival of the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R, an inline-four-cylinder 400cc bike, is confirmed. The registration of the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the supersport has come to the surface, revealing that it will be available in two variants.

Powering the upcoming fully faired bike by team green will be a four-stroke, inline four-cylinder engine displacing 399cc. While there’s no word on the power and torque outputs yet, we can expect Kawasaki to bless it with around 70PS. For perspective, the four-cylinder Ninja ZX-25R’s 249.8cc mill produces 49.9PS at 15,500rpm and 22.9Nm at 14,500rpm. Similar to the ZX-25R, expect the ZX-4R to get a high-revving engine with power band perched at the top of the rev range.

wonder what insurance will be??
Knowing Ontario insurance companies, at one it will be 800 per year, at another 4250 per year. Same rider, same coverage.

Surprised to see there isn't a thread on this yet. So here it goes & lets talk about it.

The Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R - A small capacity, high revving, I-4 with 75-80Hp output, super-sport bike --> what's not to like in that. Going by videos of the ZX25R available in Asian markets, this is going to be one sweet sounding motor. Definitely one of the most exciting launches of the year.

What do you guys think the price point would be in Canada? I reckon it will be around $10,000-$11,000. Priced between Ninja 650 & ZX6R, similar strategy used currently for the ZX25R as well. With the Aprilia RS660 @ $13,995, if Kawasaki manages to price this one close to or sub-$11k the ZX-4R should do well.

Kawasaki Poised To Introduce ZX-4R Supersport In 2023

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R launch ready: Return to the golden age of 400s is on the cards
I think your pricing is way way off. I think TK4 is more in the right ballpark. Almost even money with a four cylinder bigger bike (closer to 20K than 10K).

There's no way this will be in the same price range as litre bikes unless it comes as a setup race bike with lights, which it won't. My guess is the $11-12k mark. Just a bit below 600's on initial cost, and probably substantially cheaper on insurance which will make it attractive. Without a really good suspension and an impressive electronics package why would it come close to $20k?

There's no way this will be in the same price range as litre bikes unless it comes as a setup race bike with lights, which it won't. My guess is the $11-12k mark. Just a bit below 600's on initial cost, and probably substantially cheaper on insurance which will make it attractive. Without a really good suspension and an impressive electronics package why would it come close to $20k?
Electronics package is cheap to add and let's them drive up the price. Suspension can obviously cost a lot. BOM is pretty much the same for the 4 cylinder bikes, the 400 may save them a little on aluminum but to keep the redline up to make power and for fun, it may need a better crank/rods.

Don’t see this coming to NA anytime soon. If the z400 or z650 twin doesn’t do it for you, there is a whack of choices in the 900 range.

As appealing as a zippy 400 would be, I just don’t see it happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manufacturing costs. A 4 cylinder 400cc bike has exactly the same quantity of parts as a 4 cylinder 1000cc bike. High quality suspension, brakes and electronics all cost the same and don't depend on the capacity of the engine.

I agree it won't come here, but if it did it will be a limited quantity, premium price machine, and the costs associated with Transport Canada compliance would make even that a serious long shot.

I recall the FZR400 Yamaha brought in years ago. It sat on the dealer floors like it was covered in poop, as did the Honda CB400 of the same era.

this would make a great track bike for the development track at mosport or maybe the go-kart track there ;)

This bike would put many track day 1000 cc riders at CTMP Grand Prix track to shame.

A lot of people don't realize how quick a light, nimble low cc bike can get around a track.

To add to this, back in the day of the 500cc gp, the 250cc bikes were lapping only a second or 2 slower around most tracks.

Last edited:
What a terrible street bike this would be. I got tired of my inline-4 600cc because the thing is dead until 8k rpm and by that time you're screaming around on the street. This is just that situation multiplied. Fun light weight track bike though where you can just rip around at 15k rippems.

I don't see a case for this type of motor on the street. Very peaky power band.

Back
Top Bottom