Kawasaki to introduce Ninja ZX-4R! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki to introduce Ninja ZX-4R!

Seems to me a 16,000rpm four stroke would ride very similar to a 9000rpm two stroke... so a lot like a RZ or RD-LC... and Yamaha sold a ZILLION of those... the only difference was RDs and RZs were CHEAP.

CBR250s used to have a peaky 19k redline back in the day and tens of thousands of them were sold and ridden in Aus. Rgv, RS250, NSR250, TZR250 two strokes all had crazy powerbands and were sold and ridden by the thousands on road.

CBR250s used to have a peaky 19k redline back in the day and tens of thousands of them were sold and ridden in Aus. Rgv, RS250, NSR250, TZR250 two strokes all had crazy powerbands and were sold and ridden by the thousands on road.
CBR250RR? The four cylinder? I think you need two r's to get the fun motor, one or no r's and you get the team boredom motor. I wanted to like the 250R but not nearly enough rev's for such a small motor.

CBR250RR? The four cylinder? I think you need two r's to get the fun motor, one or no r's and you get the team boredom motor. I wanted to like the 250R but not nearly enough rev's for such a small motor.

The single R in the late 80s was a 4 cylinder 18k rpm engine, the RR from 91 onwards was the 19k engine. Both amazing feats of engineering.

Yup

I still want one
+1, basically no one needs more than a burgman or an NC700/750 on the street.
but man this bike sounds like it'll be fun.

Apparently the ZX-25R only exists because in some Asian markets anything over 250cc is treated as a luxury vehicle, with ridiculous luxury taxes. One commenter on this article says that in Indonesia, anything over 250cc gets a +150% MSRP tax at time of purchase, plus 10% luxury tax per year, plus 2.5% vehicle tax per year. So it makes sense in those markets to make an expensive, relatively powerful bike that squeaks in under the 250cc limit. I assume that the ZX-4R also exists because of some similar market restrictions at the 400cc limit, but I don't know that for certain.

I like the idea, but the ZX-4R doesn't make a ton of sense for North America. The ZX-25R is 400+ lbs, so the ZX-4R will be heavier and if it really does end up with 75 or 80 horsepower it will compete directly with things like the Ninja 650 and the MT-07/R7.

Everybody wants one until they arrive with a ridiculous price tag attached, then they sit bolted to the dealers' floors.
No doubt. My eyes say brand new ZX-4R, my wallet says clapped out 1990 FZR400.

No doubt. My eyes say brand new ZX-4R, my wallet says clapped out 1990 FZR400.
If BrianP thinks it's no longer cost effective to run an FZR400, I'm going to believe him. I still think that I'd be interested in a zx-25r even though it is super expensive per hp. It sounds amazing and not being overpowered means you can stay on the throttle for more than two seconds. ZX-4r revs a lot lower and ~double the power so much less full throttle operation possible (on the road, if you care about speed limits/tickets, etc).

don't see it happening there's already the zx6r the 4r wouldn't be much cheaper
but even if it were quite a bit cheaper if insurance puts it in the same class as all the other supersport then it's out of the question for most buyers

If BrianP thinks it's no longer cost effective to run an FZR400, I'm going to believe him. I still think that I'd be interested in a zx-25r even though it is super expensive per hp. It sounds amazing and not being overpowered means you can stay on the throttle for more than two seconds. ZX-4r revs a lot lower and ~double the power so much less full throttle operation possible (on the road, if you care about speed limits/tickets, etc).
His issue, its not "cost effectiveness", its parts availability.

Can't get piston rings... I'm sure his list of "can't get" was long enough to make it pointless.

His street fzr400 will live on, maybe from parts from the racebike.

R3 replaced it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fz400 and Fz400RR are popular vintage racers (vintage lightweight class is 99% Fz400s and TZ350s). The parts are out there if you know where to look.

Total Seal makes rings for anything. If they don't have them on the shelf, they'll make them.
And now that CNC is so popular JE Pistons will make you one piston (You used to have make a minimum order of at least a dozen). Cost somewhere around $200 a hole, with rings.
Carillo has rods for FZ400s, conventional or "H" beam
FZ400 clutches are common in that era of Yamaha's so are easy to find. Pretty sure they're the same as a RZ.
Gaskets? talk to Cometic.
... transmissions are more of a problem, but I'm sure Nova or Quaife will get you going again... for the small, one time payment of your first born....

If I was racing a FZ400, I would use a custom piston, with a modern (custom) 1mm ring set.

Soooo.... it's official now? MSRP $10,999?

Yes indeed. It's officially released and the pricing is exactly what I had anticipated in my first post. Good price point for a Japanese I4 screamer. Hopefully they bring this over at the upcoming Toronto motorcycle show.

it's not terrible pricing-wise. I could trade in my 690 SMCR for one. The kawi weighs a little more but makes the same hp out of a 400cc!
where's the nearest kawi dealer?

$9,999 for the ZX-4R (single R).
Oh! ...huh. So the upgraded forks only get you pre-load adjustment? That's lame. Wonder how much it costs just to buy the fork caps from the RR lol

Edit: Ayyy Kawasaki, don't tell me you put damping rod forks on BOTH

Back
Top Bottom