Just low-sided. Airport turning into Mono. Gravel! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just low-sided. Airport turning into Mono. Gravel!

hey Demonpig we met on sunday on the ride to elora,sorry to hear of your misfortune and glad to hear you are ok and well done for the warning to fellow riders CLASS ACT for sure and kudos to Knucklsound you the man

bravo, knucklesound.

What were the name and brand of the other gears? Were those regular jeans?

I think u might have been going faster that that. Then again looking at your bike, it didn't seem to sustain much damage.

Treat those bruises or else they are gonna get scared

Sent from my tablet using my paws

That's what I was thinking. Lesson learned, don't cheap out on gloves or any gear for that matter!

There were a few review where expensive gloves were not as protective as a medium priced glove. They go for throttle feel & cut back on the padding there. I guess u'll have to know what to look for

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Knee pads are Alpinestars, jeans are regular jeans, rather thin material at that, I usually wear a different pair for riding but it was in the laundry bin that day.
Speed, maybe 50 tops, hard to remember, felt like 40.
I had soft luggage at the back which supported the rear of the bike while it fell, acting sort of like frame sliders. Hence the lower right fairing and the oil pan cover got the brunt of the damage, alongside the right signal light.

Hey guys.
I've emailed the town/mayor/pubic works/Dufferin county about the ongoing issue of road maintenance/motorcycle safety. I've already heard back from the Mayor and public works depts, so hopefully we'll get some attention paid to the persistent trouble spots. I've swept up a few of the ****** spots already this summer (it usually only takes a few minutes)- kept saying i was going to send an email to the County, but unfortunately it took DemonPig's crash to UNprocrastinate me. Kinda late in the season- but better than nothing i guess?
Also---this morning I loaded the car up with a big 'magic' heavy-duty snow shovel, a flat metal garden shovel, a big-*** push broom, and a large bucket.
Got to the area you guys spilled at and it looks like they had already cleared it?
Was raining and there was a bit of traffic so i didn't get out and walk around though--it was hard to tell if it had been completely cleaned- but it didn't look too bad.
I'll check it out properly tonight on my way home and give it a quick sweep if it needs it.
You Sir are a Gentleman.:notworthy:
+one

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, out of curiosity, what kind of gloves where you wearing?

I'm a subscriber (and test pilot) to the knox type scaphoid protector, most gloves that dont have some sort of slider on the palm will split if they take a full force impact to the palm. Love my RS taichi whatever the top model is called.

Just a few war scars for the bike. Mechanically sound, aside from the signal light. It was already dropped on the same side by the previous owner so I made it a bit worse is all. Wednesday looks warm, I may go and revisit the ground zero, lay down some flowers or something. ;)

Hi DemonPig- did you make it back to the site? i didn't see any flowers there..was hoping to steal some for the woman....haha. Hope you are healing up well and have your signal fixed.
Here is the latest update from Mono:
So far i've heard back from the Mayor, Laura Ryan, the deputy mayor, Ken McGhee (who is also the chair of the public works committee at the County of Dufferin), and the Director of Public Works for the Town of Mono, Michael Dunmore. The email has also been fwd to several other people in the relevant depts. Word of your accident has gotten around so hopefully it will help fix the problem and induce change.
Mr.McGhee informed me that he has forwarded our concerns to "Trevor Lewis , Director of Public Works, requesting that the matter be looked into and be part of our next PW agenda (Oct.24th mtg.)"
(that was TONIGHT!)
I've swept the corner twice in the last couple of weeks, and noticed last night that it looked pretty gravelly again. I won't have a chance to go over there in the car tomorrow to sweep (riding into work) so I sent another email to ask for an update on the meeting, mentioned the current crappy condition/how tomorrow's warm weather will bring out a lot of motorcycles, and received this reply from the mayor tonight.

"Hi Steve:

I hope that by receipt of your email both Ken & I can request the County deal with this intersection promptly to ensure safety. We will forward this request again to the roads Dept."

Hopefully they send someone out early to clear it off. As always. Riders should use caution turning if you are coming up here tomorrow.
Other specific areas that i've noticed sometimes have potentially hazardous gravel/sand.
The curve at Mono Centre Rd and 15 Sideroad/2 Line E. (the unpaved road intersects with Mono Centre on the curve and tires pull gravel when vehicles turn here)
The curve at Mono Centre Rd and 3 Line E. (unpaved rd meets paved on a curve here too)
The turn onto Hockley Valley Rd from Airport Rd

**** I love living in a town where the mayor sends out a reply minutes after you email them....and seems genuinely sincere in her desire to remedy the situation. i guess time will tell if it was real or a political pat on the head.

I have made turns at this intersection with my bike on three occasions since October 10th and have not noted any more gravel than usual on the roadway. On Monday afternoon (Oct 22), I made the north-to-west left turn and found it to be in better than usual condition. Maybe Knucklesound had just been there with his broom.:thumbup:

As I noted before, this intersection (along with the others mentioned by Knucklesound), are typically covered in gravel kicked onto the roadway by cars and trucks. It is a fact of life when riding rural roads and you have to be constantly on the watch for gravel or other debris when riding a bike out here. By the way, you should also take care when making the south-to-west right turn from Airport Road onto 20 Sideroad/River Road because that intersection is always covered in gravel that washes down the hill.

Good to hear not much damage and you are ok.

If you need a new pair of gloves, check out the Alpinestars GP plus, just google. eBay, Amazon and all the online retailers are clearing them out for about a US$100 online, almost half off. I just picked up a pair, feels awesome.

Back
Top Bottom