Just low-sided. Airport turning into Mono. Gravel! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just low-sided. Airport turning into Mono. Gravel!

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
Coming southdown on Airport Rd. be very careful if you turn right (west) into Mono Rd.
There's a whole lot of fresh, loose gravel on the side of the road.
About one foot deep.
I didn't notice how much gravel there was and low-sided while turning at about 40km/h.
Should've gone maybe 10km/h.
There's a big oil spot there, too, making me think that I'm not the first person to drop a bike there.

Thanks to GTAM member - wthisthis for not running me over and low siding himself to prevent hitting my bike with me underneath it.
Thankfully no damage to his bike and not much to mine.
I ended up with a bit less skin on my hand and knee but was wearing gear which prevented much worse injury.

DSC01325.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01331.jpg

DSC01332.jpg

Forgot to snap a picture of the road but you can see the consequences. Ride safe!

Last edited:
Ouch, glad you guys are ok. Nearly happened to me once on Sewells Rd, always tons of gravel there.

Even the strap on knee armor moved out of the way? ****** deal. Glad to see you are mostly ok. Every crash I see seems to reinforce that nothing protects like leather.

****- that sucks...I live in the area and I'll be driving the car to work tomorrow so i'll bring a broom with me and sweep that **** off the road if it is still there.

You'll need a magic broom. ;) There's lots and lots of it there. I don't know if there were potholes there before or the slope too steep but they filled the whole side of the road with gravel and that spread all over of course. It is not compacted at all either.

Anyhow, thanks for the support guys!

As for the knee pads, they stayed on fine but the skin got hit on top of the knee, where the pad ends. The major impact is visible on the pad, which would be the left bottom of my knee. So it still helped a lot.
And yes, leather is best. My jacket didn't even rip, just some scuffs. And I did hit my right shoulder as well, feel nothing there.
Gloves were old , maybe if they were newer, they wouldn't rip so much but at least they were gauntlet or the damage would be worse.
I actually managed to scrape the top of the right glove as well somehow but knuckle protector took it all, shaved it down to the metal.

All in all - nothing big happened but a reminder to everyone to be very aware of the debris on the road and to wear AYGATT.

And once again, big props to my fellow rider - wthisthis for not running into me while I was down while sacrificing his own body and bike.

Last edited:
Glad you're ok. So much gravel and oil spot may mean that there was an accident and firefighters put gravel on top of the oil/antifreeze spill (and didn't clean up after).

Time for new gloves! Velocity maybe?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, out of curiosity, what kind of gloves where you wearing?

ViperZ - that may be just what happened, especially if that corner always has gravel.
I usually make a left on it from the south so it's not too bad. This was the first time ever I turned right, coming from north.
Closer to the edge of the road.

Mina - they are Nexo, 4 years old.

that glove came apart pretty badly. only 40kmph onto gravel....

That's true but like I said - 4 years and ~ 20,000 km.
They weren't in great shape to begin with.
Which is a lesson to me I guess.
Nevertheless, yes, they probably weren't the best gloves.
I bought them for 60 bucks or so from Pannon.

40km/h is also an estimate, btw. I wasn't looking at the speedo.

As noted by others, there is always a lot of gravel on the west side of Airport Road through the Mono Road intersection. It gets tracked onto the road by turning cars that use the shoulder to slow down as they make their southbound right turn. Glad you are mostly OK.

From the amount of gravel you report it sounds like you got caught by the yearly shoulder maintenance. At this time of year road crews dump new gravel on the shoulders of the highway and then grade it to the same level of the roadway in preparation for winter. When they are done the shoulders can have 10cm of new / soft gravel that looks good enough to drive on. They do try to clear the intersections, but sometimes the grader blade leaves quite a bit on the road. Also, be careful if you pull onto the shoulder to stop because you might sink into the soft gravel.

Also, good call on the knee/shin armor. Your leg would have probably looked a lot worse without.

Glad you weren't more seriously injured.

Yes, I will sure remember that corner for the rest of my life - first crash! The winter maintanance sounds most likely considering the amount of gravel there.

Hopefully people read this thread and no one else wipes out!

Forgot to mention that I was wearing racing boots which helped too as they clearly took some punishment. If I had runners on, my right foot would be much worse off.

Glad to hear you are ok.

As a service to the community - please post the other Nexo Glove, so the rest of us can see the product and stay away!!

I'm the last person to defend wearing gear all the time - but glad you had it on when you needed it.

Here's a pic of the boot (also Nexo):

DSC01334.jpg

And these are the gloves, as requested:

DSC01335.jpg

Once again, there was a substantial amount of wear and tear on them already so the fault is partially mine.
I should've replaced them earlier, knowing them for what they were (cheap first gloves, 4 years old).
I have other gloves but they are shorties and not suitable for cold weather so I thought I'll pull the ol' gauntlets out of the storage box.

Hey guys.
I've emailed the town/mayor/pubic works/Dufferin county about the ongoing issue of road maintenance/motorcycle safety. I've already heard back from the Mayor and public works depts, so hopefully we'll get some attention paid to the persistent trouble spots. I've swept up a few of the ****** spots already this summer (it usually only takes a few minutes)- kept saying i was going to send an email to the County, but unfortunately it took DemonPig's crash to UNprocrastinate me. Kinda late in the season- but better than nothing i guess?
Also---this morning I loaded the car up with a big 'magic' heavy-duty snow shovel, a flat metal garden shovel, a big-*** push broom, and a large bucket.
Got to the area you guys spilled at and it looks like they had already cleared it?
Was raining and there was a bit of traffic so i didn't get out and walk around though--it was hard to tell if it had been completely cleaned- but it didn't look too bad.
I'll check it out properly tonight on my way home and give it a quick sweep if it needs it.

Hey guys.
I've emailed the town/mayor/pubic works/Dufferin county about the ongoing issue of road maintenance/motorcycle safety. I've already heard back from the Mayor and public works depts, so hopefully we'll get some attention paid to the persistent trouble spots. I've swept up a few of the ****** spots already this summer (it usually only takes a few minutes)- kept saying i was going to send an email to the County, but unfortunately it took DemonPig's crash to UNprocrastinate me. Kinda late in the season- but better than nothing i guess?
Also---this morning I loaded the car up with a big 'magic' heavy-duty snow shovel, a flat metal garden shovel, a big-*** push broom, and a large bucket.
Got to the area you guys spilled at and it looks like they had already cleared it?
Was raining and there was a bit of traffic so i didn't get out and walk around though--it was hard to tell if it had been completely cleaned- but it didn't look too bad.
I'll check it out properly tonight on my way home and give it a quick sweep if it needs it.
You Sir are a Gentleman.:notworthy:

Hey guys.

You are awesome!!!

Demonpig glad you and your friend are ok. Extra glad that I decided to take my regular armour out of my textile pants and started to wear my dirt biking ones under:)

Back
Top Bottom