just a pic of a bike on a bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

just a pic of a bike on a bike

I agree with others, that's not how that's working. It's basically operating as a big lever (and effectively removing weight from the front wheel of the bike) no matter how you strap it down.

I'd be very, very careful with that. One rolling bump on a road somewhere that really amplifies that lever force while you're accelerating already and you could find yourself with your front wheel off the ground unexpectedly. Go back to your physics classes and remember how levers work, and how staggeringly effective they can be and being able to lift a *lot* of weight with very little effort.

good catch
I'd recommend this mod to make it 100% safe

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/usGuiTS.jpg[/img]

Ok
when the fork of the mountain bike is in the fork mount it pivots at the axle.
the straps are pulling the handle bar forward and down
this creates a pivot at the axle it doesn’t compress the mountain bike fork it starts lifting the back tire off the rail about 1/2 inch. Thus no weight on the rear tire.
yes when I go over a bump there will be some weight back there but I’ve seen plenty of adv bikes or cruisers with weight on their racks. This mountain bike is all carbon fibre and weighs 25#
the bike I had on my Harley was 32# and I couldn’t feel it at all.

Now I haven’t logged any miles yet with this setup but it is loosely based on a comercaily available unit from 2x2 cycles that has pretty good feed back.
even Chris Birch has one on his 1090 R.
Not that Chris birch couldn’t handle a wheelie. But I just can’t see that being an issue.

Last edited:
Ok
this creates a pivot at the axle it doesn’t compress the mountain bike fork it starts lifting the back tire off the rail about 1/2 inch. Thus no weight on the rear tire.
yes when I go over a bump there will be some weight back there but I’ve seen plenty of adv bikes or cruisers with weight on their racks. This mountain bike is all carbon fibre and weighs 25#
the bike I had on my Harley was 32# and I couldn’t feel it at all.

Yeah.. All the (well meaning) advice didn't really take into account that the bike weighs less than a couple bags of groceries, it's a bicycle and not a sail, and that you've done it before and are aware of it's impact on the handling of the bike.

That's no old crappy tire 3 speed with a banana seat lashed to the back. At the same time THAT"S NO OLD CRAPPY TIRE 3 SPEED! I'd have a hard time dangling something that expensive/valuable off the back of my bike. I've had a couple issues with either tiedown/equipment failure or my own stupid mistakes/omissions so I wouldn't do it, but it's your stuff and it looks like you've got it well in hand.

That's no old crappy tire 3 speed with a banana seat lashed to the back. At the same time THAT"S NO OLD CRAPPY TIRE 3 SPEED! I'd have a hard time dangling something that expensive/valuable off the back of my bike. I've had a couple issues with either tiedown/equipment failure or my own stupid mistakes/omissions so I wouldn't do it, but it's your stuff and it looks like you've got it well in hand.[/QUOTE]

My my wife agrees whole heartedly with your opinion.

Ok

You're still confusing weight with pressure. Taking pressure off the rear tire of the bicycle doesn't change the weight distribution. It still acts as the same amount of levering force.

Here's a simplified example. This guy is laying on your bicycle mount:

2nl6874.jpg

Because he's got really good abs, he lifts his legs off the rear of the mount, so all the pressure is just on his hands. This is like you ratcheting down the front forks of the bicycle.

2ih34f4.jpg

You can plainly see that the levering force is exactly the same in both these examples. Yes, the pressure on the rail is focused on a single point closest to the fulcrum, but the weight distribution has not changed at all.

Last edited:
That really doesn't look very safe to me

Just because you can doesn't mean you should and I assume there's probably some sort of law against the way you have that bicycle mounted.

Good luck and ride safe

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

So what your saying is if I tie a strap around that guys head and pull his head down.
asuming he stays rigid.
he will still have the same weight pushing down from his feet?

If so then maybe I’m wrong.

you have me very curious now.

I do know I can feel my wifes 125# but I can’t feel the bike at all.
and correct me if I’m wrong I think my bike is allowed a fair amount of cargo if one was to ever go tour with a passenger and luggage as is intended with this model of motorcycle.

Ok ok
lightcycle I get what you are saying I think.
yes the leverage is still the same it’s not pushing down on the rail but it’s still hanging out the back.

but it’s not near enough weight to disrupt the balance of a bike this size.

I can go to MTO and say I wish to pay for my sticker using your plate number. Even if it's paid already they will give me the paperwork. Then I say. OH maybe my wife paid it for me.

My moto plate is AIEEE

Go in and try this. See if you can figure out what my address is.

MviI4PG.jpg

still wrong. Can anyone see what I did wrong here?

Your link was wrapped in [ url] tags. So you had [ img] [ url] link [ /url] [ /img]

Just make sure you paste plain text and you shouldn't eng up with the extra tags (or just go to edit and delete them, that's all I did to your quoted post).

I have the newer model to that one ;)
stuka-1.jpg

Very cute
Mine is 2 on June 23 this year. He is American bull dog and bull mastiff cross.
what is yours? He looks identical just mini

Back
Top Bottom