just a pic of a bike on a bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

just a pic of a bike on a bike

Here is a pic of my new to me Ktm getting her first fitting as a MTB hauler.
https://i.imgur.com/koHTEYk.jpg

i just set up imgur and wanted to figure out the pic posting process.
Might want to cover up your license plate...that's a good days work for a bike thief!

Does the mountain bike act like a sail or an upside down rudder going down the highway? Might want to test it out or stick to the 80 kph roads.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

So far no issues with wind. All the weight (all 25lbs) is transfered onto the fork which is right on the factory luggage area. I think it should be good.
I had a custom made rack on the back of my HD and never had a problem. Although the HD wasn’t breaking any speed records, lol
https://i.imgur.com/oHlzi20.jpg

As far as the plate being covered I kinda leave it exposed all the time driving around. What’s the difference?
not being a smart *** just wondering what anyone can actually do with a picture of a plate that can’t be done while seeing it on the street.

So far no issues with wind. All the weight (all 25lbs) is transfered onto the fork which is right on the factory luggage area. I think it should be good.
I had a custom made rack on the back of my HD and never had a problem. Although the HD wasn’t breaking any speed records, lol

As far as the plate being covered I kinda leave it exposed all the time driving around. What’s the difference?
not being a smart *** just wondering what anyone can actually do with a picture of a plate that can’t be done while seeing it on the street.
Thieves work motorcycle forums. They can gain your address...just sayin'.

That's a nice set up.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my new to me Ktm getting her first fitting as a MTB hauler.
https://i.imgur.com/koHTEYk.jpg

i just set up imgur and wanted to figure out the pic posting process.

Wrap the imgur link in [i m g] link [/i m g] (without the spaces)to make the picture appear in the post so people dont need to follow the link.

Many people do a similar mount on much smalaler bikes, so it should work fine. Looks good.

I dont bother covering plates either. Yes, it may be possible for someone to find my address, but there are much easier ways for thieves to find something to steal.

Is this so you can transport your mountain bike to a cottage or something? I can't see riding a $20k bike to the parking lot of a trail system and then leaving it there to go peddling. And then there's the problem of where to store your street riding gear while you're out on the trail.

Must be fun in cross winds....here you go

g_j2sBrMNh4HNbxy7m9FlgxDM8SyYTkw8SU-S6IEfNJnfMuqKdshn5QaIM05q13Jh6V0_1zZNPIpNuGm1iMofvUE35__J4L0wp_tf_y_9bTGJwtHb0sHRWHROpUgshStF1-LZxgazvTNE2CEKmdteV2FFt1iGWV47Xt9uORS9fKEPkXwOOUvCvGEv2SpJdiqtYN4l54CA6u_-8ba3ISCCkI0LbTLsR1SkHxjuwpZxgnIAlB9mfhOSo4sB3B0MrVAJiDmDSwVIh9V973Okg5R3bBA-Q5jKnd_aPPlNYOwI2kd4iqnAj3UkJbyyeogo4pTb_iMc6a7K48KFgxQlI3e5hWFVIW_Bq22TmNFCJWv-o66JnhLMy0QPWONW8RtzbhCZblZG33uW4CvlHF6EWn8Zysy_bCgj6nq7d43CsxUKpSIk9Qfa6b8Lcyh0VtpWDjL34zzjjpgkFYevuCo0MyttIomj4RZ_y7eFsYHeK2ivYYIZUTreO8kMKl7kI22FLJG7musgnfRqzKstjuZb239IclszUyELsAmJAy72s161ppuzQ78UiT_CLaVTkr_IKuKmAjGWk-2fqJ1NYy_ZNpZR5v9r5SOcS6Dq02ZdsMh3D-5SgggDS9fo060_a0O3bN9xZbS60Qyw0N2-i-hvgHNJ1XaKybOzVUq=w1736-h1302-no

You've struck some interest.
Please explain how the weight of the bike gets transferred to the "Fork"

So when I place the bike up on the rack the weight is on the fork mount and the rear tire.
I lock the fork then wrap the orange tie straps around the handle bar of the bike, running down to a factory loop at the passenger foot peg. When I tighten the ratchet strap it pulls the bike forward pivoting on the fork and taking the weight off the rear of the bike. Then I snug up the strap that holds the rear tire.
then use some Velcro ties to the front tire sideways to the orange tie straps and the passenger handles.
The mtb weighs about 25#, and catches a lot less wind then I do. So you can’t even feel it.
way better than a passenger.
although I have only had a short test ride with this set up.
my Harley set up was great.
https://i.imgur.com/bxVY9yd.jpg
The side panniers hold my Mtb gear while on route to the forest and my motorcycle gear while I hit the trails for some exercise. I can always throw my helmet in a friends car or wear one of my less expensive lids and run a bike lock through the chin bar.
As for the leaving an expensive motorcycle behind. The trails I ride are at a forest center parking lot full of cars and people. Cars and trucks of all value and I don’t have any concerns about the bike.
I had a rack made for my previous Harley Road Glide and left it in the parking lot plenty with no issues.

Last edited:
Is this so you can transport your mountain bike to a cottage or something? I can't see riding a $20k bike to the parking lot of a trail system and then leaving it there to go peddling. And then there's the problem of where to store your street riding gear while you're out on the trail.

Tell me how a license plate # can be useful to thieves? Having a VIN number or plate you can get a UVIP which will give some info but no addresses. A plate # which is visible to everyone on the street when you are out riding 24/7 is not useful at all except for law enforcement which are the only ones that can pull up info from a plate #.

A plate # which is visible to everyone on the street when you are out riding 24/7 is not useful at all except for law enforcement which are the only ones that can pull up info from a plate #.

I actually had a discussion with a police officer about this not too long ago. You're correct, a LEO can get that info from running a plate, but it is logged when they do. So even if a thief has a connection to get that info, once it is investigated they will be able to see who ran the plates, outing that officer as an accomplice. Pretty easy to determine if he ran it as a traffic check or not based on his patrol logs, he would have to provide reason as to why he ran it.

Tell me how a license plate # can be useful to thieves? Having a VIN number or plate you can get a UVIP which will give some info but no addresses. A plate # which is visible to everyone on the street when you are out riding 24/7 is not useful at all except for law enforcement which are the only ones that can pull up info from a plate #.
Thieves pay off MTO employees to run plate numbers for addresses.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

So when I place the bike up on the rack the weight is on the fork mount and the rear tire.
I lock the fork then wrap the orange tie straps around the handle bar of the bike, running down to a factory loop at the passenger foot peg. When I tighten the ratchet strap it pulls the bike forward pivoting on the fork and taking the weight off the rear of the bike. Then I snug up the strap that holds the rear tire.

I think you're confusing pressure with weight.

When you tighten the ratchet strap and compress the bicycle's forks, the weight of the rear of the bicycle doesn't disappear. It's still there. You've just increased the pressure of the bicycle's front tire on the rail that it's sitting on, so it doesn't move.

The only way you remove weight off the rear of the bicycle is if you mount it vertically so the rear tire of the bicycle is directly above the front tire of the bicycle.

I agree with others, that's not how that's working. It's basically operating as a big lever (and effectively removing weight from the front wheel of the bike) no matter how you strap it down.

I'd be very, very careful with that. One rolling bump on a road somewhere that really amplifies that lever force while you're accelerating already and you could find yourself with your front wheel off the ground unexpectedly. Go back to your physics classes and remember how levers work, and how staggeringly effective they can be and being able to lift a *lot* of weight with very little effort.

Last edited:
A bike with a bike on, this keeps getting better :D

then use some Velcro ties to the front tire sideways to the orange tie straps and the passenger handles.
The mtb weighs about 25#, and catches a lot less wind then I do. So you can’t even feel it.
way better than a passenger.
although I have only had a short test ride with this set up.
my Harley set up was great.
https://i.imgur.com/bxVY9yd.jpg
The side panniers hold my Mtb gear while on route to the forest and my motorcycle gear while I hit the trails for some exercise. I can always throw my helmet in a friends car or wear one of my less expensive lids and run a bike lock through the chin bar.
As for the leaving an expensive motorcycle behind. The trails I ride are at a forest center parking lot full of cars and people. Cars and trucks of all value and I don’t have any concerns about the bike.
I had a rack made for my previous Harley Road Glide and left it in the parking lot plenty with no issues.

OH, OK sorry. I was confused because there are two things here with forks. I thought you meant the weight of the bicycle transmits to the front fork of the motorcycle. LOL

I can go to MTO and say I wish to pay for my sticker using your plate number. Even if it's paid already they will give me the paperwork. Then I say. OH maybe my wife paid it for me.

Back
Top Bottom